PDA

View Full Version : Motor went out while running 4th gear pinned. Looks like it is time for a rebuild

Meek
06-15-2004, 04:48 AM
I was GNCC racing in VA Saturday this weekend and my motor quit. It has been blowing blue smoke for a while, was just hoping it would last for a couple of months.

I went to drain the oil before I pulled the motor and here is what I found. There was no oil in the crankcase. When I took the drain plug out of my oversized tank, I only got about 3/4 quart of oil out. That means that in 1 hour and 12 minutes I burned up over 2 quarts of oil. I know it was full because I checked it before the race.

I would like to hear your suggestions on what to do next, 416,440,etc. Let's hear it.

JRDrider22
06-15-2004, 06:26 AM
wow . i never really heard about a stock motor (well its not bored) blowing up. ive got a 440. i blew it last april. its been in the shop now because of my piston has a crack and the rings are bent. i like the 440 when it works. when it doesnt i hate it . but the 440 has awesome power. i'd say its worth it

06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
416 Meeker or if ya got plenty of stupid loot, send it to Laz and get his 450 Stroker....:muscle:

bradley300
06-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Rico
416 Meeker or if ya got plenty of stupid loot, send it to Laz and get his 450 Stroker....:muscle:

i'd say whatever you do send it to laz. i beleive right now is one of his slower months also, so you could have it there and back in no time

Dave400ex
06-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Never had the chance to use GT Thunder, but I would also send it to them. They will get it done much faster then most places.

Bradley, What motor setup does Brandon run? Also this 450 stroker sounds mean.

06-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex

Bradley, What motor setup does Brandon run? Also this 450 stroker sounds mean.

Brandon runs the 450 stroker and it puts out more HP than the new piped yammie and honda 450's.....:eek: that's on a dyno not seat of the pants..

Dave400ex
06-15-2004, 11:07 AM
I like the sounds of that. How much does that kit cost?

Rico, how much of a difference does having the head ported/polished help? I know you did that over the winter. Does that GT Thunder rev box make it start harder?

With your Sparks clutch, what did you adjust your clutch cable to? Some guys are saying around a 1/4" slack because it grabs so much quicker then stock.

06-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I like the sounds of that. How much does that kit cost?

Rico, how much of a difference does having the head ported/polished help? I know you did that over the winter. Does that GT Thunder rev box make it start harder?

With your Sparks clutch, what did you adjust your clutch cable to? Some guys are saying around a 1/4" slack because it grabs so much quicker then stock.

The cost I have no idea..

the ported head and opened up airbox made a nice difference in power.. Rev box has had no issues with starting what so ever.

Clutch I adjusted as I always do. Yes it grabs a little sooner but I just learned to deal with it.

ranger400ex
06-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Meeks motor is bone stock and has over 1500+ hours on it...no joke. It is my old 400ex and had a full season on it when I sold it to him, he has two on it now. TONS of $#@%ing hours, and it has burning for a few months. It is old and worn out at this point, and will need to have everything gone through.

I had him talk to Laz this weekend, maybe a stroker kit in the works.

In the mean time Meeker...I know of a like new yellow 400...that just might donate its goods to get you going.:D

Quadzilla
06-15-2004, 02:10 PM
I just got finished breaking in my 416 (specs below). I broke it in with the stock rev limiter. I am now going to put on my GT Thunder rev limiter for the weekend. Did it seem to make a significant difference for you? Right now, my 416 revs so fast it hit the stock rev limiter lickity split. Almost impossible not to hit it in first gear if you get on the gas and 2nd is not much better. I know that most say that even a built EX does not make power above the stock rev limit point, but it sure feels like it's still making plenty when I hit the rev limiter. I could feel it fall off before the rev limiter when I had a stock piston, cam and carb, but not anymore. Sure feels like it will make good power past the stock rev limit. Let me know and thanks!!

06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Well I kinda been doin some testin for Laz and now have a low end power curve CDI in it.

It should help your motor..

Also what gearing are you running??

Quadzilla
06-15-2004, 03:04 PM
14 up front, stock rear (whatever that is, 38 maybe?). I may put the 15 back on the front. I am also running 22" rear and 23" front XCT's which change the gearing (less low end, more top speed). That's why I went with the 14t front, but I may have to go back the the 15t with the new motor... Man it revs fast!

02Yellow400
06-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Ive been puffing blue smoke for like 3 months now...just add like half a quart every 15 hours or so. Should i ride it til it breaks or what needs to be done on it?

Xowner
06-15-2004, 04:05 PM
o2 yellow 400ex im in the same boat should i fix now or later?

Quadzilla
06-15-2004, 04:20 PM
I would fix now. If she blows up, it pieces may fly around in your motor and screw other things up which will cost a lot more than just a bore job and new vavle seals and guides which is prob all you need now.

Dave400ex
06-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Rico what do you usually adjust it to? I might just put it close to where I had it before (stock setup), and if I don't like it, just loosen it up. I just want an idea of where to start.

Meek
06-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I did talkt to Laz Friday before the factory installed smoke was released from my motor. Our conversation was about a 450 stroker, sounds like he is going to help me out. Laz is a super nice guy and very straight foward, no (BS) just right to the point. Now it is just up to me to get him the motor and some cash.

06-15-2004, 11:20 PM
I rebuilt my 01 because it would drain my oil tank dry in one weekend at Pismo. I thought I wore out my motor, but you really stomped yours. I went with the 440 and low compression. 10.5:1 I now have an extremely reliable motor that runs right with Raptors when I race and beats them when my son rides. I am very happy with my machine and thaik it would be a great gncc machine.

tinner
06-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Well, the stocker treated you good for a while. Now it's time to bring it to life.:devil:

Meek
06-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by tinner
Well, the stocker treated you good for a while. Now it's time to bring it to life.:devil:

You gona pick up the tab?:D

tinner
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
How about an "almost new" stock piston ??:blah:

Paul400ex2002
06-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
I know that most say that even a built EX does not make power above the stock rev limit point, but it sure feels like it's still making plenty when I hit the rev limiter.

Whoever said that built ex's don't make power past the stock rev limiter is full of shat. When we built my 416, even before the carb and sparks x6, i would hit the rev limiter like nothing. It was seriously holding the motor back because the way it was built, it wanted to rev to the moon. The stock limiter kept it from doing that. Once we put the new rev box on it, the bike pulled for what seemed like forever, and I never hit the limiter again, because i could feel the power fall off well before the rev limit.

Meek
06-17-2004, 10:30 PM
How about an "almost new" stock motor ??:blah:

You are awesome.

When will it be here?:D :D :D

tinner
06-20-2004, 07:31 AM
I think that stock motor is in your garage.

How about a 13hp Briggs from my lawn mower, put a different pulley off the crank and it will rip!!! I will need it back to cut my grass again....but it doesn't burn oil.:huh

ranger400ex
06-21-2004, 07:38 AM
HEy Meek....I believe that was a BURN...Tinner 1 Meek 0 :D

Meek
06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
How about a 13hp Briggs from my lawn mower

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I can still beat BEN, without a motor.:blah:

tinner
06-23-2004, 07:56 AM
:eek2: :eek2: