PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit vs. full exhaust vs.???

lil'redrocket
06-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I was wondering how much power does the HRC kit add? Does it add any low end at all? And which would be the best bang for the buck.

HRC kit,
Full exhaust, or
Slip on exhaust and cam

I would like some more low end but I'm mostly looking for power throughout. I mostly trail/play ride. Thanks

35charlie
06-14-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm running the HRC kit including exhaust cap. So far I've only ridden dunes but may trail ride this one some too.

My first impression of the HRC setup (at least in the sand) is way more bottom end with more mid and top too. I know people have said the HRC setup adds mostly top end but it's harder for me to really see that. Mostly I try to power up hillshots and that's where the added low end really woke this thing up as a climber. Perhaps with a new pipe you might lose some of the low end in trade for top end.

Anyway, I think you'd like the complete HRC kit for trail riding. Around here at least, in the woods the "trails" are 1st - 2nd gear type, not dirt roads. For that, bottom end is essential.

The only thing I'm thinking of doing is adding some kind of turn down tip to drop the noise a bit. We have 93db limits at several of the dune sites and I've read the HRC cap runs about 96db.

sethg
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Pipe will give you loads more power at the bottom, especially one designed to, like the HMF. Best Bang for the buck is the HMF Bill Ballance slip-on with jet and airbox mods. I think I'll add the cam next.

sethg
06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I'm still running the 14T too for woods and trails with the Bill Ballance of course.

1fast450R
06-15-2004, 11:55 AM
The HRC camis for mid to top range, it robs you of all bottom end I am taking my cam back out... IM even running a 13t and i cant pull out in second gear for drag racing...

chris450R
06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
any full exhaust will give you great bottom end power and increase power throughout the rpm's. the sparks cam is suppose to be pretty good on low end power and also increases throughout.

my 450R is still stock except for 13t front sprocket and it pulls hard off the line. i am just not really that excitied about the HRC kit because you get that same power and more with a good exhaust. and yeah i know full exhaust is more $ than the kit but i mean a new full exhaust would look better than stock exhaust with an end cap.

35charlie
06-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Some additional info/debate here:

http://www.atvoutdoors.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6859

I totally agree with YoDaddy on the low end performance. I climbed several dune hills while stock to get a baseline. I then installed the kit and tried the same ones two weeks later and there was no comparision on "torquing" at low speeds between trees. The HRC setup was way better. While I've read about higher rpm gains, I haven't seen anyone complain about a loss of low end.

As I mentioned in my other post, where I ride sound is an issue. For that, most (if not all) aftermarket exhausts just won't do. Please consider that if noise may be an issue for you. I realized some aftermarket companies offer quiet cores, but do they spec the HP gains with those? For me, if the last 5db is so critical for extra HP it's time for a bigger bore, or to lose some weight. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose.