PDA

View Full Version : Any bass players??

chucked
06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Well it looks like im gettin back into the band scene again.... What do you think is a good bass stack?? I like SWR and that kind with the aluminum speakers (cant remember the name) Behringer maybe????

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 07:47 PM
the aluminum speakers are Hartke Systems. There are alot better options out there....SWR, Ampeg etc. you cant go wrong with those. Just stay away from the entry level stuff....you get what u pay for. I had an Ampeg 8-10 cab. it totaly rocked but it was big and bulky. Look at the 6-10. Ampeg and SWR both make them and they both kick butt. Right now I have 2 Trace Elliot single 15 cabs. I got those because they fit behind the seat of my truck and are alot easier to transport especially if it rains or you get home late from a gig and don't feel like unloading your gear that night. SWR makes a sweet combo...... the super redhead...it has 2-10's in it and you can add a 4-10 to it. then you can leave the 4-10 in the practice room and just tote the 2-10 combo back and forth.

chucked
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
well im using a 5 string, and i will probably use the b alot, so I will need the bass speaker, i was looking at an swr at guitar center that was 2-10's and a 15 i was thinking along the same lines as leaving the 15" at the practice place and taking the head and 2-10's with me

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 08:08 PM
The 2-10 15 combination is a good choice. you get the bouncy full sound of the 15 and the tight punch of the 10. You will probably like it. SWR gear is sweet. Just stay away from the workingman series. I just sold a SWR stereo 800 power amp and an ampeg SVT II preamp. That was a great head i really hated to sell it I bought it in '94 and it was still kicking serious butt. I just don't really play much anymore and it was taking up space and I wanted new quad parts so......

chucked
06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by bayou boy
The 2-10 15 combination is a good choice. you get the bouncy full sound of the 15 and the tight punch of the 10. You will probably like it. SWR gear is sweet. Just stay away from the workingman series. I just sold a SWR stereo 800 power amp and an ampeg SVT II preamp. That was a great head i really hated to sell it I bought it in '94 and it was still kicking serious butt. I just don't really play much anymore and it was taking up space and I wanted new quad parts so......

whats wrong with the working man series, i think thats wut it was???

batgeek
06-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Peavy MAX heads with the PRO series cabinets :)

i love that sound!

chucked
06-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
Peavy MAX heads with the PRO series cabinets :)

i love that sound!

I cant think of any stores around that sell peavy!!

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 08:59 PM
the workingman series is the cheapest SWR gear. It works and is reliable but has a lower power handling and not as crisp and clean as the upper line. I dont know your budget or exactly what you want to do with it but it is like comparing an S-10 to an escalade. I am by no means saying sell the farm to buy an amp. I know it is ez to say spend 2k on a good amp. Maybe look at the total price on the 2-10 15 stack then compare to a lil higher end amp. You may be able to get a higher end amp with a lil less speakers (a 2-10 or a single 15) for around the same price that will get the job done better. (cleaner sound..dont clip...higher power rating). bigger isnt always better. and you can always add to it later. music gear depreciates so fast it is best to make a good choice the first time around. Go to shows, listen to the bass players sound ask them their pros and cons of their rigs. shop around. Guitar Center does have great prices though and are hard to beat. But buy what suits your needs if you are unsure sleep on it. ask the sales guy lots of questions and research the product. what are you using now? GK also makes some good stuff for reasonable prices.

chucked
06-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bayou boy
the workingman series is the cheapest SWR gear. It works and is reliable but has a lower power handling and not as crisp and clean as the upper line. I dont know your budget or exactly what you want to do with it but it is like comparing an S-10 to an escalade. I am by no means saying sell the farm to buy an amp. I know it is ez to say spend 2k on a good amp. Maybe look at the total price on the 2-10 15 stack then compare to a lil higher end amp. You may be able to get a higher end amp with a lil less speakers (a 2-10 or a single 15) for around the same price that will get the job done better. (cleaner sound..dont clip...higher power rating). bigger isnt always better. and you can always add to it later. music gear depreciates so fast it is best to make a good choice the first time around. Go to shows, listen to the bass players sound ask them their pros and cons of their rigs. shop around. Guitar Center does have great prices though and are hard to beat. But buy what suits your needs if you are unsure sleep on it. ask the sales guy lots of questions and research the product. what are you using now? GK also makes some good stuff for reasonable prices.

i used to play guitar in a band then like a year and a half ago i bought a bass just screwing around, I had a fender stage 400 or something, I sold it a year ago when I broke my ankle to pay my 4 wheeler payments. I have a trace elliot 4x8" cab but ive never used it (i know it works though.)

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 09:06 PM
The Peavey max heads are not bad and the prices are reasonable too. www.peavey.com they may have a dealer list on the site and you can compare models

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Do you have any friends with good heads? The Trace Elliot cabinets are good. maybe try their head with your cab. Then instead of a whole new amp you could get a great head for the same price.

batgeek
06-14-2004, 09:15 PM
bayou boy,

i see yer in Houma LA...would you happen to know a Liner family there? specifically a guy named Shelly Liner, goes by the nickname Bugsy?

he was a buddy of mine when i was in the Navy...lost touch with him a long time ago.

bayou boy
06-14-2004, 09:26 PM
I dont know him but they are a few Liners I work with. I can ask around and try to see if they are related to get in contact if you like. It is not that big a town so I am pretty sure they probably know each other.

Quadzilla
06-15-2004, 08:08 AM
I play also. Best band for the buck right now as far as cabs go is Avatar www.avatarspeakers.com . Just read the reviews on them at talkbass.com and harmony-central.com . I've bought a 4x10, 1x15, 1x12 from them. I've owned all the big names and Avatar is as good as most of them. Sound feel like SWR the most....