PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiter Question~

speedy400
06-14-2004, 02:16 PM
A lot of the people always talk about how they thought getting a aftermarket rev box was a great idea because they would hit the stock rev limiter almost every gear while dragging. Well I was just wondering, am I doing something wrong? I've only hit the rev limiter like once or twice in the year and a half I've owned it, and those times were because I accidentally dropped it into neutral...??thanks-darren

cals400ex
06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
with my 406 and stage 2 i nailed it hard in the first couple gears at least. i was racing my buddy and i was smoking him by like 5 bike lengths and my bike didn't have many more mods than his. so basically i should have only been beating him by 1 or so. we then swapped bikes and i beat him again. it turned out he was just shifting way too soon. even though it felt like its time to shift wait a little longer. the power curve may start dropping off a tad bit but when you shift into the next gear the rpms will be higher, just where the stage 2 wants to be. i think your running the TC 924 aren't you? i am probably going to buy one of those cams here shorty if i can find a good deal on one. i am not sure how that revs out compared to the stage 2. TC claimed it should have definately more acceleration with similar top end. i wish i could find a used on. just try to leave it in gear a little longer and see how the race turns out. maybe with a combination of your TC cam and the heavier 426 piston it won't rev that high. i don't know. however, i will let you know because i am building a 426 as we speak.

TC426EX
06-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
maybe with a combination of your TC cam and the heavier 426 piston it won't rev that high. i don't know. however, i will let you know because i am building a 426 as we speak.

I can tell you from experience... I have a 426 with the TC 924 cam... The 426 piston revs to the sky man!! That is the reason TC reccomended it for me instead of the 440. The 426 is the ideal size for the EX motor since it revs faster and produces more efficient power than the 440. With the stock CDI I hit the rev limiter continuously... Once I slapped the TC CDI back in it pulled much faster and much harder, producing power past where the stock one cut out. That cam is an MX cam, so it is more mid-top as opposed to the GNCC cam which is more low-mid. You must not be pounding that bike hard enough if you arent hitting the rev limiter. Chances are, you are and dont even know it. The power will "fall off" a bit seemingly and you can usually hear the bike cutting out a little on the top, Get a CDI, and please dont start another post about which one to get or which one is the best since there are 7 million posts on that already.

cals400ex
06-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I can tell you from experience... I have a 426 with the TC 924 cam... The 426 piston revs to the sky man!! That is the reason TC reccomended it for me instead of the 440. The 426 is the ideal size for the EX motor since it revs faster and produces more efficient power than the 440. With the stock CDI I hit the rev limiter continuously... Once I slapped the TC CDI back in it pulled much faster and much harder, producing power past where the stock one cut out. That cam is an MX cam, so it is more mid-top as opposed to the GNCC cam which is more low-mid. You must not be pounding that bike hard enough if you arent hitting the rev limiter. Chances are, you are and dont even know it. The power will "fall off" a bit seemingly and you can usually hear the bike cutting out a little on the top, Get a CDI, and please dont start another post about which one to get or which one is the best since there are 7 million posts on that already.

ya, that is kind of what i was thinking. i am still looking for one of those cams. TC told me it would be $195 with a stock core. i will more than likely get it and see how it turns out.

stupid driver
06-14-2004, 04:44 PM
i reccomend getting the tc cdi if you have his 426 and the 924 cam. I have this same setup, and it makes most of its power in the high revs, right up until the limiter kicks in. You will be able to feel the limiter kicking in, it reminds me of the popping when you are running a lean main jet.

speedy400
06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Just to clarify things, I have a hotcam stg 2, so I must be shifting too soon, geez, I would have thought I would have this thing figured out by now sence I've been riding it like this for almost a year now. Thanks for the advise-darren