PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a carburator??

DTRAIN
03-25-2002, 07:46 AM
I need some help here. I want to take my carb off and clean it out, make sure there is no dirt or whatnot in the jets. The problem I do not know exactly how to do this. I have taken my carb out before to install a throtle cable, but that is as far as I have gotten. How do I go about cleaning the jets, and what about the float bowl? I am not real knowledgable about the internal mechanics of the carb, but it seems to be relatively simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

03-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Well cheif,,,pull that sucker off again,,,there's 4 screws that hold the bottom of the carb on,,remove those 4 screws and gently pull the bottom of the carb off,,,you'll see everything your wanting to clean after this point..real easy to do..good luck.

03-25-2002, 12:47 PM
i soaked my Lt.250 carb overnight in gas to clean it...
my freind said after that spray wd40 in it...should i?
or should i just buy carb cleaner

DTRAIN
03-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Hey Rico, Thanks for replying, one question. In there is the main + pilot jets? Is that all I should be concerned about cleaning?

03-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Yup and also you'll see the little bowl in the bottom sometimes that gets crap in it too,,you could spray the bottom out with WD-40,,dirty carbs can reak havok on how a motors running,,this project might take ya 40 minutes,,and that includes beer drinking breaks...:D

James70214
03-25-2002, 02:40 PM
you guys do it the hard way. All you have to do is take the airfilter off and stick the nozzle of the pressure washer in there and squeeze the trigger. It doesa great job cleaning everything out. If you want to clean the piston off, unscrew the spark plug and stick the pressure washer in the hole. Same with the valves. Hope this helps. If you want to polish the engine you could throw some sand and rock salt in there.