PDA

View Full Version : removing Spyware and Ad pop-ups ??

spincr4hire
06-14-2004, 06:31 AM
I've installed Ad-aware and Spyblaster to get rid of the pesky spyware & pop-up ads, but after they are removed, they are right back on when I restart my pc. Anybody have any suggestions? I have the Metacrawler tool bar with a pop up blocker installed, but it doesn't stop the pop-up ads (about 50 ads come up and the explorer just shuts down). It also sets my homepage as mysearch, and when I go to reset the default as a different home page, it just comes back again. Whoever puts this crap on the net to get into your pc should be executed!:mad:

06-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Sounds like you need to get stinger off of mcafee's page.

Sometimes a complete rebuild of the PC OS is the only fix...:(

spincr4hire
06-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Sometimes a complete rebuild of the PC OS is the only fix...:(

I kinda figured that...:(

zephead400ex
06-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Don't reinstall...just yet.

Manually clear your temp/cache files.

Using Internet Explorer? Tools -> Internet Options -> delete cookies -> delete files -> Settings -> View files, select the first cookie then click -> Edit -> Select All -> hit delete.

This will remove your temp history manually. This is where the vast majority of pop-ups are generated.

Uninstall that toolbar, POS. Install the google toolbar, very easy, no BS, damn good popup blocker.
http://toolbar.google.com/

After deleting the files, check to see what programs start on startup.

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup tab -> everything that is check marked, starts when the computer turns on. Read through the list and see what you think needs to run on startup. The only absolutely need things are Explorer and Sys Tray.

Let me know if you have any issues.

spincr4hire
06-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup tab -> everything that is check marked, starts when the computer turns on. Read through the list and see what you think needs to run on startup. The only absolutely need things are Explorer and Sys Tray.

After I restart the computer, everything that I uncheck in the startup tab gets checked again, its very annoying.

zephead400ex
06-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
After I restart the computer, everything that I uncheck in the startup tab gets checked again, its very annoying.

Do you hit apply then ok? After doing this it should ask you to restart. If this is how you have done it, there is something in your registry that is screwey. Do you have an antivirus program? If so, update and scan. If not.

www.grisoft.com
Download the free edition of AVG.

Good luck.

spincr4hire
06-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I hit apply, then ok, then restarted. I'll try that link when I get home tonight, thanks...

Juggalo
06-15-2004, 10:49 AM
download spybot search and destroy and run that instead of spyblaster (keep adaware tho). if that doesn't work you might have to get into the registry and stuff to get rid of stuff..if your in the registry, thats what i had to do on my friends comp. you have to be really careful i would make sure somebnody who knows what their doing is doing it. try doing a search on google for the things that are infecting your computer and usually you can find a site with removal instructions. try spybot first tho

Juggalo
06-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
download spybot search and destroy and run that instead of spyblaster (keep adaware tho). if that doesn't work you might have to get into the registry and stuff to get rid of that crap, thats what i had to do on my friends comp. if your in the registry, you have to be really careful i would make sure somebnody who knows what their doing is doing it. try doing a search on google for the things that are infecting your computer and usually you can find a site with removal instructions. try spybot first tho

TC426EX
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Spybot ALL THE WAY!!!

Rdhanded2
06-16-2004, 11:03 AM
I use spybot and ad-aware together and that does the trick for me. Another useful thing for me was I created a second user on my computer. Now I have a master for installing programs and such, and a second for surfing the net. I have limited access set on the surfing account so that pop ups and other programs can not install on my pc. It has worked great for me. When I run spybot and ad-aware now I only find 2 or 3 things as apposed to a few dozen. Just my $.02