PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch vs 9 inch rims

86350x
06-14-2004, 02:57 AM
What do you think is better and why? Gonna be ordering itp baja rims and kenda klaw tires. It's gonna be for my home track, and riding in sandy whooped out (we have big whoops in northern mich) terrain.

Also, who here knows the offsets (for a wider stance) ? I have a set on my warrior but cant remember. I made the back front wider. But my memory is terrible:confused:

TC426EX
06-14-2004, 06:43 AM
8 inch is always better for mx since you are usually running an 18 inch tire for it. The smaller size tire is way better for cornering and accelleration like you need during MX. The 9 inch rims are for 20" XC tires and up. If you ride mx on tracks get the 8" with 18" tires, and if you just occasionally ride tracks and do more casual riding then get a set of 20's on 9" rims.

wilkin250r
06-14-2004, 01:14 PM
As far as what is best for YOU, only you can answer that. However, I can give you some benifits and drawbacks of each.

Lets look at just a 20 inch tire. A smaller rim will give you a taller sidewall. This will give you a little softer ride, and will help soak up all the little rocks and roots you may find trailriding. It will also give you better traction on rocky ground, because your tires will conform to the terrain better, giving you more surface area in contact with the ground.

However, a taller sidewall is terrible for hard cornering. The tire will "fold over" easier, making your quad lean over to one side during a hard corner, and increasing the possibility of breaking the tire bead seal. Sidewall punctures are also more likely.

A larger rim is will give you the exact opposite. Much better cornering characteristics, but less traction in rocky terrain, and you'll feel those little rocks and roots more.

Out_Sider
06-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
8 inch is always better for mx since you are usually running an 18 inch tire for it. The smaller size tire is way better for cornering and accelleration like you need during MX. The 9 inch rims are for 20" XC tires and up. If you ride mx on tracks get the 8" with 18" tires, and if you just occasionally ride tracks and do more casual riding then get a set of 20's on 9" rims.

ya, 18's with 8in rims is definatly the better way to go, and then 20s with 9ins is better than 20's with 8's.

dawnchris
06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Out here in the West (desert racing, where the rocks are nasty) I run 8's with 20's, or if I need more ground clearance, 9's with 22's. All for the reasons stated by Wilkin250R.

quader400
06-14-2004, 02:37 PM
i would say if you have beedlocks then the 9 in rim would be better cause there is less side wall so less roll over,and if you have the beeds you wont have to worry about bending a rim. if you dont have beedlocks then the 8in rim cause you wont be bending rims as much.

86350x
06-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Getting itp baja rims, and kenda klaw tires. It's for a built up banshee. I'm gonna go with 20 or 21 inch tires with 9 inch rims. I'd go smaller, but I trail ride more then anything else.