PDA

View Full Version : What causes this?

Fred55
06-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey, my buddy has a YFZ and its about 6 months old, and last night i was riding it, and the clutch cable snapped on me. What can cause this to happen? Ive seen other bikes/quads go years without needing the cables replaced? What could've or would've caused this? thanks

Fred55
06-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Anybody?

K_Fulk
06-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Does he have a aftermarket perch and lever? Some of the easy pulls like to chew them up.

Jingle #11
06-13-2004, 10:38 PM
maybe he just had it adjusted improperly and it just ate on it. or you just cant clutch right :blah:

Ryan
06-14-2004, 09:22 AM
I would tell your friend to go out and buy a hydraulic clutch. Never have to worry about snapping cables again ;)

wilkin250r
06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
There could be lots of problems. The clutch cable could have been poor to begin with, errors occur in manufacturing every once in a while. Aftermarket easy-pull clutch levers generally put more stress on the cables, so that could contribute to the problem (if he has one) There could be something abnormal in the clutch (again, possible manufacturing error) that would make it stiffer. Also, if it was very cold out, cables become less flexible, so tempurature could contribute to the problem.

Of course, it doesn't have to be just ONE reason, it could be a combination of many things.

If you want my advice, don't worry too much about it. Replace the cable, they are less than $20, and don't worry about it. Now if you are constantly snapping cables, then you have a larger problem.

400grl
06-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Cables get old, they get dirty, they get improperly adjusted.....they get used alot....they snap!! :) I replaced my clutch cables about once a year....just to be safe. Lubing them and cleaning them and checking them for wear is always a good idea......but this is just one of those wear items!! :)

06-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
I would tell your friend to go out and buy a hydraulic clutch. Never have to worry about snapping cables again ;) i wouldnt spend $200 on these..they get air inside them & they are a PITA to bleed...i'd just stick with cables & carry backups

Ryan
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Well I never have to replace any sort of cable again on this. And its much easier to pull in if your running long races.

PHIL_B54
06-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Well I never have to replace any sort of cable again on this. And its much easier to pull in if your running long races.

it would be hard for alot of people to justify $200, i would like to have one...but not for that

a friend did melt his hose on his header, in the middle of Little Sahara, so it is possible to mess it up

K_Fulk
06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
They give you plenty of line though. That you wouldn't have to run it anywhere close to the pipe.

I love my hydraulic clutch. I'm about ready to sell a couple of quick change clutch covers beacuse, I can't find a xr400 mount for my hydraulic clutch

TC426EX
06-14-2004, 08:23 PM
How much on one of those hinson covers?