PDA

View Full Version : Haavisto is out!

quadman22
06-13-2004, 08:29 PM
well today at Jolly Roger in NH Joe Haavisto was the first guy EVER to clear the "initimidator" on a quad. It was sooooo insane. im sure someone has pics of it. Anyways Haavisto weas kicking serious *****... he was smoking mike walsh and he was clearing the "intimidator" EVERY time. So me and my freind walk up to the jump for the Open Pro 2nd moto. He does it once real smoothe like he has been all day. He goes off it the second time and looks back at the crowd who had gathered to watch him jump it. It was one of those really cool "look backs" if you know what i mean. Anyways he didn't quite turn around in time and he clipped his tires on the landing. Now this isn't a normal landing... its gotta be somewhere around 60 degrees steep and about 30 f.t. long. So you dont want to screw up. So he hits and and goes end over end flying every which way. Me and my friend were one of the first people over to help him. He was out cold for a few minutes. when he finally woke up he was really out of it. On the spot the EMT said he broke his arm atleast. he got carried out on a stretcher and they called to see if the could get a helicopter to air lift him. This ruined the day for EVERYONE. it really sucks to see this happen anyone especially Joe. He was killing everyone today let alone he was the first ever quad rider to clear the jump. I hope he gets better soon and my prayers are with him. He will most certainly be out of the nationals for quite some time.:( :(

quadman22
06-13-2004, 08:33 PM
by the way... I was EXTREMELY UNIMPRESSED with the medical team at Jolly. It was ATLEAST 5 minutes ( i think a lot more) before anyone sort of medical technician was over there to help him. I figured they would have been a little sharper than that!:grr: oh yeah, get this... his bike took SUCH a hard fall and from what i saw when i went over to it, all it had was a bent nerf bar (his bike is a tricked out YFZ)

lol
06-13-2004, 08:51 PM
tht sux, i hope he has a quick recovery!

EX 80
06-13-2004, 09:11 PM
I have it on video. I just got done watching it. Its not pretty.I saw him do it flawlessly many times earlier in the day, and i was like i need to get this on video. First lap he did not hit it, second lap :eek: Flawlessly once more, Third lap he did a look back like you said and i couldn't belive my eye. Or should i say i didn't want to belive my eyes.:( He was looking soooo good to.

I wish him the best.

quadman22
06-13-2004, 09:40 PM
i saw one guy's video from the track... is there any way you could post your video?

jason14x
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Guys this is Jason NEATV-MX Media rep. I jaust wanted you all to know that Joe Haavisto Is going to be ok. He was lifeflighted to a more thourough medical center for abservation yesterday. He has a MAJOR concussion, a cracked vertebrae,a good gash on his leg , and may have a busted wrist but as of right now thats what we know. As I hear more I will post it hear and on our forum on AtvSource. I left early yesterday due to family concerns so i did hear about it until last night.

I want you guys to be safe Jolly is a completeley different animal than a lot of you are used to running, remember, this is for fun theres NO trophy worth killing or paralyzing yourself. I ahte to say it but based on what Howard said Joe basically went over his head ! Joe is a great kid and rider but dont let your BALLS right a check you cant cash. Joe got excited by the crowd and came up short . I wish i had seen the jumps before he crashed but it aint worth it!!!

Be careful guys and we'll see you at Southwick

Jason

Ryan
06-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Hope he has a speedy recovery!

EX80, anyway you can post that video up on the internet?

Knight440
06-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Well that realy sucks Hope he gets better soon :(

EX 80
06-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I have no way of getting the video on my computer.

Jason- If you like i can give you a copy of the video of the moto he lost it. The first lap he didn't hit it, The second lap it was picture perfect. The Third lap was not good. I stopped recording after that.

CTmxyfz
06-14-2004, 12:09 PM
he was so called "smoking" Mike Walsh because Mike is not fully recovered yet from his fall.

06-14-2004, 12:14 PM
How big of a jump is this????

Who has pics of it???

WalshKFX
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
it was to bad to see Joe go down like that. He and his bike went to for a crazy ride. I def. have to agree that the Jolly Medic crew should have arrived alot faster. I hope Joe gets a speedy recovery and gets back riding again

CTmxyfz
06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
they were very slow getting to Joe's side. The site that i saw, i though he for sure broke a few things. He looked like a rag doll being thrown for a ride. As Walsh was saying, they should have stopped the race there and taken everyone's positions. What if he was hurt internally or something?

jason14x
06-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Rico, to answer your question the only jump I can compare it to is Henry's Hill at Budd's Creek. It is about top to bottom 65 feet down but it is like a reverse step up ( you jump off the top and there is alanding area thats about 15 feet long with a 35 degree angle) then it drops off at about a 60 degree angle another 25 feet down . They dont call it the intimidator for nothing. If and when Jolly Roger Ever gets their website up and running right again there was a couple of pics of it. All I can say is this its steep and high and when looking at it from the ground it doesnt seem like much , but its probably the single most scary jump Ive ever been on.

Jason NEATV-MX

EX if you have pics or video I would like to see it!

honda_racer_713
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
yeah i saw the crash and i was standing with his family at the time and they took it really hard as well as me. There are so many kids that i know that look up to Joe and to see him crash like that got them really scared. the bike he was riding had barely a scratch, and the bike that he was racing was his practice bike. hopefully Joe has a speedy recovery.

theTman
06-14-2004, 03:32 PM
man this sucks big time... i was supposed to go and watch at jollies but we couldnt make it....also, at winchester speed park, the medics are slow as hell too.. when i crashed on a step up, i got up then collapsed and it took them at least 10 min to come out to help with me... then it was another hafl hour for a ambulance to show up because they didnt have one there... i wasnt impressed at all:grr:

NTPRacing#19
06-14-2004, 04:08 PM
heres the deal with the intimidator itself, Its a complete show boater jump! it does not save you any time by clearing it! I have been around that track for a few years now and talked with alot of guys that do it, and one guy Chad Charbeneu "the one to beat at jolly" he has timed it doing it and not doing. he says you lose the time by going way high in the turn that you would gain by going low in the turn and rolling the jump. its a unessessary risk i think. even for a bike. sure as heck look sick and a wicked name maker or reputation builder for yourself if you do it but its one big bargain. i will get a pic of it posted.

ramp rida 55
06-14-2004, 04:18 PM
that sucks! i have it on tape aswell as pics hope hes better soon!

NTPRacing#19
06-14-2004, 04:53 PM
heres an okay pic of the intimidator being done by tony larusso. joe was a bit higher than tony larusso. http://nescmotocross.com/images/Jolly%20Roger62401/images/Tony%20Lorusso.jpg

NTPRacing#19
06-14-2004, 04:54 PM
what you see for dirt is the lip of the jump! the landing is like 50ft past that and about 10ft lower than the lip.

NTPRacing#19
06-14-2004, 04:58 PM
another pic, here you can see how defined the landing is.http://www.ctmotocross.com/images/gallery/tony/tony1.jpg

Berry
06-14-2004, 06:00 PM
holy crap, thats insane!

dsracer666
06-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Berry
holy crap, thats insane!

you have no idea that pic makes it look small!

Knight440
06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by dsracer666
you have no idea that pic makes it look small!

Yep I can't belive I don't have a good pic probley cuz no one trys it the bike guys say it's fast to ride down it rather than clearing it ,, thats a sick jump to try and clear heck it's named after #3 him self I rememeber the first time I went there seeing all the #3 stuff at the neighbors across the street:rolleyes:

fastexgirl4c
06-14-2004, 08:40 PM
i saw what happened to him.he was clearin it soo nice be4..but he rode over his head that last time..he looked soo bad after when he was loaded on the strecher..but i got to say that intimator is really nasty..especially the way they put the lips on the jumps..when i jumped it sunday..that last jump on it i was goin flyin down it..but i have to say i hate jumpin dead mans drop:eek: ..and jason...ur right the intimator is like henry hill but the intimator has a bigger drop off while henry has more of a slope

muff
06-14-2004, 08:58 PM
these are the only pics i could get from where i was at...

muff
06-14-2004, 08:59 PM
...after

06-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Anyone have any pictures or videos of Havisto doing it? I really want to see this. Sounds crazy. If anyone has the video and could email it to me I would appreciate it. Nickcron@aol.com

What hill is Henrys Hill @ Redbud? I know of Laraccos leaps and the ski jump...Is Henry's hill the Table top Triple?

250rmike
06-14-2004, 11:23 PM
henrys hill is at budds creek md. its called that cause doug henry accidently jumped from the top and landed at the bottom which is pretty damn far and you gotta be preet high and by that time its a flat landing i know he broke his back and several other things. it goes up like a normal jump and then just rops off no landing like a ski sop but with a lip going up to it

250rmike
06-14-2004, 11:26 PM
i have some pictures of henrys hill on my computer if someone wants to post em for me

NTPRacing#19
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
man i wonder who will do it for the memorial race? if joe did and natalie comes up for the race. oh man look out.

EX 80
06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Only reason i don't see to many pro's doing it, is because they don't want to risk missing the 2 nationals after the memorial race. Kory Ellis seems like a ballsy jumper, maybe he'd do it if he goes.

450Rrider#26
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
ellis would def. hit it if he went

NTPRacing#19
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
creech would do it in his sleep but i dont know if he will come out to jolly. thatd be sick if he did

EX 80
06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Is dana on the DL?

Dave400ex
06-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Dana has a broken leg. He told me at Red Bud he would be out the rest of this season.

muff
06-17-2004, 05:07 AM
I have a video of haavisto hittin the jump before he crashed :o

you have to sign up but becoming a user only takes a second
http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/joeintimidator.avi

oh and the file size is huge (25megs) for like a 8 second vid but I dont know how to make it smaller:(

racer87
06-17-2004, 09:53 AM
sweet vid man , luckily Joe is ok and didn't break any bones but I wouldn't ever hit that jump again.

XANDADA
06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey nice video muff, hope ya don't mind but i rendered it as a wmv file and posted it so it is only 3 meg now.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mx/joe_intimidator.wmv

If anyone can send me other angles or the crash video, send it to me and I'll paste them together...

:( Speedy recovery joe

PEPwalshZ440
06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
damn, pray for a speedy recovery and get better fast