PDA

View Full Version : Make your own skid plates

ChuckSirois
06-13-2004, 06:31 AM
Just wanted to share how I made my own skids.... ChuckSirois.com (http://www.chucksirois.com/Projects/Skid_Plate/Skid_Plate.htm)

See my other projects here...
Projects (http://www.chucksirois.com) (when you get there click on projects)

400ex_drummer
06-13-2004, 06:38 AM
looks good, especially if your short on $, i would prefer steel or aluminium ones though.

rollie
06-13-2004, 09:30 AM
ive heard plastic is better because rather than getting hung up on rocks when you ride over big ones the plastic will just glid over it i dont really no though....i dont have either...lol

they look good how strong are they?

:)

400ex_drummer
06-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
ive heard plastic is better because rather than getting hung up on rocks when you ride over big ones the plastic will just glid over it i dont really no though....i dont have either...lol

they look good how strong are they?

:)

hung up on a big rock i think the plastic would just break, its more to protect from gashes and scratches rather than heavy blows.

barry rhames
06-13-2004, 11:21 AM
i have a small buisness that makes plastic skids for your frame its not vinyl its another type of plastic it 3/8 thick. its great becouse you can slid over the rocks and its light it will take more of a blow than alluminum becouse if it bends a littleit just bends back its all i use i will never go back to alluminum.i dont make a arm skids becouse theres so many diff a arms do yall think i should i have been thinking about it

06-13-2004, 12:11 PM
you should make aarms skids if your really serious...just for stock

400ex_drummer
06-13-2004, 12:14 PM
yeah you should do a arm skids, try to make them so they fit more than one a arm style. if thats possible to do:confused:

barry rhames
06-13-2004, 06:32 PM
ok thanx ill look into it i have an ad coming out in dirt wheels check it out

toby400ex
06-13-2004, 10:03 PM
What? All that vinyl will do is keep the frame form gettin scratched. Its not much harder to do that with 1/8" Aluminum.

Jingle #11
06-13-2004, 10:48 PM
like someone esle said i think the aluminium would be better becasue that might be able to withstand bigger blows.

barry rhames
06-14-2004, 07:41 AM
OK THINK ABOUT THIS IF YOU HAVE ALLUMINUM ON YOUR FRAME ALL YOUR REALY GOING TO DO WITH IT IS TRANSFER THE BLOW TO YOUR FRAMEPLASTIC ABSORBS AND DEFLECTS SOME

dynofox
06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
How much do you ask for the under frame skids? Have any pics you can send me xcr600sp96@hotmail.com

toby400ex
06-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by barry rhames
OK THINK ABOUT THIS IF YOU HAVE ALLUMINUM ON YOUR FRAME ALL YOUR REALY GOING TO DO WITH IT IS TRANSFER THE BLOW TO YOUR FRAMEPLASTIC ABSORBS AND DEFLECTS SOME The home made aluminum skid ive been using for a year and half for xc racing has done very well. IT absorbs the hits also, the rocks gouge the aluminum, they dont dent the aluminum then the frame.

cinigen9
06-16-2004, 09:12 PM
interesting website

The zip ties are what will cause you problems - that and doubt the plastic is thick enough to not transfer the energy to the frame (in the form of a dent).

Find some 3/8-1/2" HDPE or UHMV plastic. You can buy sheets on ebay, or find them at local industrial supply stores. It is used to line conveyors, loader buckets - they even use a type of this plastic to line concrete ship canals.

Then use 1" wire clamps from the hardware store - the type that you can bundle wires up in and the bolt goes through both holes in the clamp.

Why do all this - the plastic will slide over things much better and cushion the blows better - imo.

Carson

barry rhames
06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
thats what my skids are made of hdpe 3/8 but are you talking about pipe clamps they break to easy on rocks and uhmw doesnt have as smoothof a surface but its just as durable the best thing to do is figure out a bolt up idea

cinigen9
06-17-2004, 07:21 AM
http://www.marfas.com/hoseclamps.shtml

These are not exact, but similar to the ones with the rubber sleeves. Place them around the lower frame rails with the bolt side in. Then bring a flat headed bolt up from the bottom through it.

Carson