PDA

View Full Version : will only run with choke on?help!

zzbudzz
03-24-2002, 07:47 PM
this is probably a simple question but here goes.i have a stock 400ex, the other day the quad ran great then the next day i couldn't run it except with full choke . then again today it did the same thing .the quad runs pretty good even with the full choke ,but i don't wanna keep doing this.one guy told me i might have water in my gas ,but i ran it for over an hour it should have passed though, right? could i have trash or something in the carb?also some people on here removed their choke completely .did they bump up the main jet and thats it?please reply! thanks

zuLi0
03-24-2002, 09:55 PM
along with having water in your gas you could try to tear your carb apart if you know what your doing and get some carb and choke cleaner and make sure everything is completly clean and no dirt or scum in any of the jets or moving parts, had that same thing happen to me on one of my older quads i had. other then that you could try using something like stp gas cleaner, but only about 1/4 bottle to a full tank.

03-24-2002, 10:07 PM
water won't flow through the jets i belive. take your carb and clean the bowl out and drain your tank.

Leo
03-25-2002, 04:52 AM
yup, sounds like your starving for fuel..

time to take the carb off, clean the parts, blow out the jets, etc..

Leo

tprender
03-25-2002, 06:47 AM
If the engine will only run with the chock on is a sign that the piolet jet is blocked with dirt. Take the jet out and clean it with some carb cleaner and also do the main jet being that you are inside the bowl. What happens is when you pull the chock on you are bypassing the piolet jet.