PDA

View Full Version : Air/fuel ratio meter - anyone has or know about it?

RytM1
06-12-2004, 07:26 AM
http://www.jet4power.com/products.html
Anyone have any experience with this thing. It looks like a good idea (in theory at least). Hate to spend $200 on a rubber dinosaur if it doesn't work. This may be just what I'm looking for to get that FCR dialed in a little better.

p@iNn3ck
06-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Dont spend the $200... I built my own last year but have yet to try it. I got an extra headpipe on ebay for around $20, an O2 sensor for $15, the bung for $5, and a air/fuel meter from Autozone for $22 . ..... total cost $62... total savings $138 :devil:

wilkin250r
06-13-2004, 01:49 AM
I can see by your signature that it isn't a problem, but for anybody else who reads this, air/fuel ratio meters do not work with two-strokes.

RytM1
06-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Pain, at what point in the header did you install the O2 sensor? DIY for $62 sounds like a plan to me. Any plans on testing it out any time soon? I'd be curious to see how it works out for ya. What model vehicle did you get an O2 from?

northeast400
06-13-2004, 09:40 AM
What about getting an EGT. They are much more accurate.

p@iNn3ck
06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
Pain, at what point in the header did you install the O2 sensor? DIY for $62 sounds like a plan to me. Any plans on testing it out any time soon? I'd be curious to see how it works out for ya. What model vehicle did you get an O2 from?

Heres a pic of where I put mine... just after the 2 pipes join as 1, but I would assume it could go anywhere after that point too.
http://www.dfektsquad.com/headpipe.jpg

Im hoping to test it out pretty soon, now that Ive got a pipe and all. The o2 sensor was a Borg Warner os115, three wire. I got the three wire just incase it didnt get to operating temp, I could hook up the heater for it... but dont think itll have a problem with that. Any of the BW os105-120 should work fine and they are pretty cheap.

wilkin250r
06-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by northeast400
What about getting an EGT. They are much more accurate.

True, but you can't mount one on your quad. With a simple O2 sensor, you can mount it on your quad and check your jetting under load for many various conditions. You can be at sea level one day, and at 5000 ft the next, and instantly know how to adjust your jetting.

GA400ex
11-11-2004, 05:51 AM
FYI
I emailed the tech department at Jet4Power with these questions:

Once mounted and tuned, can I remove it? Do you offer a plug for the hole in the exhaust? I can build a solid mount and attach it so that the sensor is inside my exhaust outlet, but will I get a correct reading? I race mx an xc so I wouldn't want to leave on during races. What is the air/fuel ratio that illuminates the center green light? 12.6:1? 14.7:1? In the middle somewhere?

Their reponse:

The meter was designed so it can easily be removed. Some people like to leave it attached all of the time. I supply a bung that needs to be welded into the exhaust so you can screw in the sensor. I also supply a plug to replace the sensor when it is removed. The sensor can NOT be places in the exhaust outlet. There is not enough heat to let the sensor work properly. You can get more mounting information at www.jet4power.com.
The sensor reads from approx. 14:1 to 12:1 We shoot for 12:6 to 12:8 to 1 This is closer to the last green light.
Where did you hear about the jet4power meter?
Jerry

red2004 TRX450R
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
check this out
http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

read the part about "The Cheap Way"

and if u dont want to usa a digital voltmeter. Summit sells a digital air/fuel meter with no sensor for like $35.00

so u can have a air fuel set up for like $20.00

Just be advised that the Holley carb and its fuel circuits are not he same as a quad but they do have a lot in common!