PDA

View Full Version : 450r question

trost66
06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Has anybody heard if hondas going to put electric start on the 2005 450r. Are they going to make any other changes. thanks

quadrcr161
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
i havent heard about it, but what is the big deal of the kick start? it starts easier then my 250R.

trost66
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
No big deal i was just curious. Eletric would be alot easier on those hot days of racing.

06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by trost66
No big deal i was just curious. Eletric would be alot easier on those hot days of racing. not when it doesnt work & you are forced to bump start plus deal with extra weight & more parts to replace when something does fail

Toadz400
06-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
not when it doesnt work & you are forced to bump start plus deal with extra weight & more parts to replace when something does fail

Never had a problem with the electric start on my 400EX. Only time I had to charge it was when I bought it used a year ago and the guy never charged the battery or probably left it on too long. After I charged it that one time it has started up strong every time and I've had no starting problems. I've even raced and it never gave me problems on race day...which I would have expected because with my luck my quad should've exploded for no apparent reason:( .

06-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Never had a problem with the electric start on my 400EX. Only time I had to charge it was when I bought it used a year ago and the guy never charged the battery or probably left it on too long. After I charged it that one time it has started up strong every time and I've had no starting problems. I've even raced ourand it never gave me problems on race day...which I would have expected because with my luck my quad should've exploded for no apparent reason:( . b/c u posted after me i decided to see what u said...we are not talking about a 400ex...we are talking about race quads & I dont think a estart should be on a race quad...have fun on your 400ex

SEMA
06-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Estarts are gay! My R starts on the first kick every time. The only time it struggles to kick is when i get it a 12o'clock. Im glad i dont have a battery that weighs 4-5 pounds on my R.
SEMA

FatBoy Racing
06-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Having both, here are my thoughts . . . I've enjoyed the estart on my EX for several years, its nice to have. I've also been through several batteries, and they always crap out at a bad time (there is never a good time). Just the same, when I bought the 450R, I thought that might be annoying, but mine kicks over so easy, what little concerns I had are completely gone. And I know I'll never have to worry about sitting at the bottom of some wicked deep sand bowl thinking about how much its gonna suck to swallow sand while my buddy with a kick-start hooks a tow strap to my ride to get a bump start. Mine should ALWAYS be in front! Really and truly, if estart was an 'option' on my 450, I'd go without and be happy. Enjoy your new ride, you already bought it, you just don't know it yet. :devil:

lukester720
06-12-2004, 01:32 AM
I also have both, but since my 99 400ex has another dead battery that won't hold charge (the 3rd one now) I never ride it. Oh yea, it also left me stranded at haspin acres one time out in the middle of the woods because of a battery problem. the problem started at dark and I couldn't find my way out of the woods till 9am, it took till noon to find and get my quad out.:mad:

The ole kickstart has never failed me on my 250x or my 450r, the 250x always started on the 1st kick too.:D

WOracing
06-12-2004, 08:57 AM
ok what i am about to say i dont want people b!tchin at me about it, it was on this website that people with yfzs had problems with the batteries over heating and i saw one pic of half the quad gone because of an overheated battery. So this doesnt mean that all machines wont have battery problems like you guys were saying with the ex...to me this doesnt make sence but you get my point right??

PEPwalshZ440
06-12-2004, 09:03 AM
highly doubt this

Toadz400
06-12-2004, 03:32 PM
b/c u posted after me i decided to see what u said...we are not talking about a 400ex...we are talking about race quads & I dont think a estart should be on a race quad...have fun on your 400ex

A 400ex can be considered a race quad, when fully modded, which is what I'm going to have to do since I didn't get to robby26wi's 450R in time...that really sucked.

I agree with you that eletric start shouldn't be on a race quad, I love kickstarting because it's simple and no extra parts. If I had a quad just for riding in the woods, I would want it to have eletric start with a backup kickstart.

Not flaming kickstarts...I love them.

06-12-2004, 04:34 PM
i have my quad just for woods play riding & I dont want another estart after already have had one with the 400ex...if i had a yfz I would take off the battery probably & buy the kickstart mod...I couldnt do that with my 400ex though so i left it on

Toadz400
06-12-2004, 06:44 PM
i have my quad just for woods play riding & I dont want another estart after already have had one with the 400ex...if i had a yfz I would take off the battery probably & buy the kickstart mod...I couldnt do that with my 400ex though so i left it on

Actually you could do that with your 400EX using the the 400 trail bike kickstart that Honda makes...can't think of the name off the top of my head. Maybe if you did some research...

06-12-2004, 09:21 PM
the xr400's kick start hooks right up to the 400ex???