PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

hondaguy1
06-11-2004, 05:49 PM
When i start up my 2001 mojave i hear a ticking noise coming from the engine, once it warms up it isnt as loud. What is it? THANKS

JUSTINcredible
06-11-2004, 06:20 PM
it could be piston slap or whatevr and it stops when the engine warms up cuz the heat makes the piston expand so there is no clearence... not for sure tho... somthing u should look into

hondaguy1
06-11-2004, 06:33 PM
how do i fix that

chucked
06-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by hondaguy1
how do i fix that

theres so many things it could be, the valves could be out of adjustment, the cam chain could be stretched, the cam chain tensioner could be worn out, like JUSTINcredible said, the piston could be slapping against the wrist pin, or the wrist pin against the rod, it could be detonation, thats all the possibilities I can think of right now....

450Racer
06-12-2004, 12:01 AM
it's not the piston. it's the valves. if you know what you're doing, rip it all apart to get to the valve cover and take that off. then go to autozone and buy a set of filler gauges for $4.98. get a service manual and find you valve clearance specs. then adjust accordingly. i advise you not to do this yourself cause you'll probably mess it up, only good mechanics can do this. i adjusted my valves today. has more stable power and not ticking. just take it out to a dealer and they shouldn't charge all that much. i could do it in an hour.

QuadJunkies
06-12-2004, 11:56 AM
We had this happen just this week and it was due to the Flywheel was toast and it caused the Valves to be out of whack...Like the last two posts said... All of those are possibilites and are most likely.... If your not sure if you can do this youself my all means take it to someone who can!!! Valve clearacnes are so important,timing chain ect.....

06-12-2004, 12:50 PM
should I get the valves adjusted on my 450r after break in?

450Racer
06-12-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah you shoudl get the valves adjusted on teh 450R as soon as you break it in. it's highly recommended, i know that Honda had problems with the CRF450F engine's valves, and this may continue on.

hondaguy1
06-13-2004, 08:15 AM
I adjusted my valves today, and it still makes a ticking noise. It is nothing that i am to worried about though. It is a 2001 and doesnt have that many miles on it. If i should worry about tell me. THANX

chucked
06-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by hondaguy1
I adjusted my valves today, and it still makes a ticking noise. It is nothing that i am to worried about though. It is a 2001 and doesnt have that many miles on it. If i should worry about tell me. THANX

you should worry when it gets louder

400ex_drummer
06-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by chucked
you should worry when it gets louder

no you should worry about it now, before it causes bigger more expensive problems.

QuadJunkies
06-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 400ex_drummer
no you should worry about it now, before it causes bigger more expensive problems. EXACTLY!!! We have a group of riders that all have various quads ........ One Raptor, a 440ex, and a Predator ALL had this happen JUST THIS WEEK:eek2: Timing could be off, Vavle Clearance may be off, one of the guys timing chain broke off God knows where the other piece is to the chain!!!:( If its a tick you didint notice before, then IMO its not a "good" tick to begin with and I wouldnt just let it go....like I said... I personally had this happen this past week to one of ours........

hondaguy1
06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
i really listened to it, and it doenst do it all when it is warmed up, it does it for about 3 minutes when it is cold and that is it. I think it might be piston slap???? THANXS

250rmike
06-13-2004, 07:49 PM
i hear weird noises but i dont know what it is on my z. i am so used to 2 strokes that any 4 stroke noise sounds weird to me. im gonna get some one to check it out just incase

450Racer
06-13-2004, 08:15 PM
sometimes it's normal. it could be the exhaust coming out fast from the header or somethign with compression. i wouldn't worry about it.

250rmike
06-14-2004, 09:30 AM
yea some noises are normal for 4 strokes but im not exactly sure what they are so ill have my uncle check it out and make sure ill also adjust the valves and make sure the cam chain is good. im not to worried about them though