PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Testing

LTandRaptorider
06-11-2004, 02:50 PM
For 2 years now, I've had trouble getting my truck to pass emissions testing. It only does not pass at idle, for Hydro-carbons. I have a 1993 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, with a 350 engine that has 102,000 miles on it. I have Flow-Tech headers, aftermarket catalytic converter, Flowmaster exhaust. I put a new O2 sensor on when I installed the headers. It has a 1" throttle body spacer, Hypertech coil, new AC Rapid Fire plugs, wires, the truck runs great. I put fuel additive in that is supposed to guarantee passing emissions, but only ran almost half a tank through so far. It did have a slight miss at idle, the tune-up seems to have taken care of that. Only other thing I've noticed is since I changed coolant and put a new thermostat in last year, the temp guage reads much lower. I'm wondering if I got a 165 degree thermostat by mistake, which would be used with a drag performance chip? Or the temp sending unit could be bad. I'll look in to that next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

AtvMxRider
06-11-2004, 02:51 PM
If it wasn't pink it would probably pass:blah:

LTandRaptorider
06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
If it wasn't pink it would probably pass:blah:

I was waiting for that... :o :p

What color would make it pass?

Tommy 17
06-11-2004, 03:18 PM
lt u really wanna pass...

put jerry in the passenger seat and say discrimination if they fail you:eek2:

AtvMxRider
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

Hey aint you got some measuring to do to your quad? HAHAHAHA

LTandRaptorider
06-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

LMFAO!!!!! :D I like it!

but I'd never live down having a colored person in my truck... :o

Woodsrider
06-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Are you getting the truck hot enough prior to the test? Drive the piss out of it on the way to the test center to get it good and hot. Dont shut it off while in line, and if you have to be in line for a while rev the motor every so often to keep it from loading up.

If its in a good state of tune and the oil is clean it should pass if you get it hot.

wilkin250r
06-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Quit eating Mexican food the night before :p

ILGNCC400EX
06-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
If it wasn't pink it would probably pass:blah: dam you beat me to it

AtvMxRider
06-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
dam you beat me to it

:devil:

brian-250
06-11-2004, 05:09 PM
dam you beat me to it :grr:

LTandRaptorider
06-11-2004, 05:13 PM
dam you beat me to it

Oh, why don't you guys bite me! :rolleyes: You know you're just jealous... and I do understand. ;)

LTandRaptorider
06-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Are you getting the truck hot enough prior to the test? Drive the piss out of it on the way to the test center to get it good and hot. Dont shut it off while in line, and if you have to be in line for a while rev the motor every so often to keep it from loading up.

If its in a good state of tune and the oil is clean it should pass if you get it hot.

I'm taking it to a Chevy dealer to have the test done. I drove it about 30-40 minutes before I got there, it only sat for maybe 5 minutes before they took it in to test. I heard (headers, flowmaster muffler!) them revving it to heat it up. It's in a great state of tune, and I just changed the oil 2 days ago... meanwhile I see junkers belching oil that somehow pass. The engine being hot enough is something I thought of... if the temp gauge is right, then it has the wrong thermostat in it. I'll check that next. I'm about ready to give up, and spend the last of my money on AP rounds for the M-60 and have a relaxing sunday afternoon... :eek: :devil:

SRH
06-11-2004, 09:39 PM
emissions test are so stupid.....

06-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by SRH
emissions test are so stupid..... no..go to europes cities & your eyes water from the smog from every1 having fuxxed up vehicles....emission tests are good

Guy400
06-12-2004, 05:35 AM
LT, if you've only got a 165 degree thermostat in your truck than that could very well be contributing to why you're failing. Just for the test put a 195 in. Hotter engine temps lead to more complete burns and less emissions. I dated a girl whose stepfather ran one of the emissions checkpoints in a neighboring county. He said to change your oil right before going to the test.

ewalker302
06-12-2004, 08:26 AM
I have read that it helps a lot if you retard your timing as much as possible for the test.

I have never been through an emissions test, but I have a 90' Mustang, and emissions testing is brought up regularly in the 5.0 message boards.

:bandit:

LTandRaptorider
06-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll see how the third test goes... :rolleyes:

Hopefully the third time will be a charm. :p

06-12-2004, 11:00 AM
theres a mechanic around here who can make any car pass an emissions test for like $15 ....i think he may retard the timing but whatever he does it makes your car run like chit & you drive like that to the test & when yo upass you bring the vehicle back & he fixes it again & your off...thats what my dad had to do with our Volkswagon bus

redroost85
06-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your emissions snafu, LT.:(

These emissions test are complete bullchit in my opinion. We just got emissions testing here in Mercer County in PA.....which is like 80% rural....yet somehow our air is bad?:confused: :mad:

These politicians can take that emissions money and kiss my *** as far as I am concerned....what are they gonna test next here?...all the tractors too!:cuss:

PA is a beautiful state, but the people that run it are friggin retarded! They got their hands is the lottery, liquor, and this emissions stuff just to name a few things.....and we are still outta money here....uneffing believeable!:grr:

Ok, I'm done for now. Getting hosed is getting old in our state!:(

Stevie-D
06-12-2004, 04:02 PM
LMFAO!!!:devil:

I'm over in Wayne County, pa. we don't have emissions tests here. my pickup's got a straight pipe with a glasspack under the box:blah:

Tommy 17
06-12-2004, 04:13 PM
we just got them in cambria county pa...

but if you know the local mechanics they will slap the sticker on for u no matter what the test says:o

SRH
06-12-2004, 09:45 PM
we cant do that here really they are gonna start soon they stick something in the exhaust, and the read out sent to albany they say if its ok or not...its bull****, planet shemanet.....

Guy400
06-13-2004, 05:50 AM
Only certain counties in Ohio have "E-Check" and thank goodness I'm not one of them. The county directly north of me is and I don't know WTF they got their process for checking these cars/trucks. The stick the sniffer up the tailpipe and check your emissions levels at idle and then they rev the car up around 6-grand and they hold it there for several seconds:eek2: Sounds like they're dynoing a NASCAR engine. First off, it's not good to rev an engine that high at idle anyway and secondly, how many street driven vehicles sustain 6k RPM at length?

All E-Check does is pad some politician's pocket and it definitely makes the company contracted by the state of Ohio rich.

Mxjunkie
06-13-2004, 06:48 AM
ok, i might sound stupid but is that guys truck really pink?:confused:

LTandRaptorider
06-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
ok, i might sound stupid but is that guys truck really pink?:confused:

No, like QuadJunkies said, it's magenta! And I hope you don't mind the 'hunk of junk' Raptor in front of it. You fuggin guys need to come up with a new line... :rolleyes: I think Jumbo, Overkill, and Mxjunkie are one person... or all at least share one brain. ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p0ff68653afb0c5c56c0d7b92a1c02679/fa454645.jpg

LTandRaptorider
06-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Only certain counties in Ohio have "E-Check" and thank goodness I'm not one of them. The county directly north of me is and I don't know WTF they got their process for checking these cars/trucks. The stick the sniffer up the tailpipe and check your emissions levels at idle and then they rev the car up around 6-grand and they hold it there for several seconds:eek2: Sounds like they're dynoing a NASCAR engine. First off, it's not good to rev an engine that high at idle anyway and secondly, how many street driven vehicles sustain 6k RPM at length?

All E-Check does is pad some politician's pocket and it definitely makes the company contracted by the state of Ohio rich.

They check at idle, and 2500rpm. I'd be more than a little upset to hear my 350 taching 6k! :eek: :grr: And I think you're right about padding politicians pockets. While I believe they finally made the test uniform, it's still not done in all counties here. And tommy, I don't know how a mechanic can just slap a sticker on, the report is bar-coded and sent to Harrisburg now. :(

Mxjunkie
06-14-2004, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
[B]No, like QuadJunkies said, it's magenta! And I hope you don't mind the 'hunk of junk' Raptor in front of it. You fuggin guys need to come up with a new line... :rolleyes: I think Jumbo, Overkill, and Mxjunkie are one person... or all at least share one brain. ;)

lmao, why dont u paint ur truck red or something that a real man would have :p , just messing with you and no we arent the same people jumbo is mean :rolleyes:

redroost85
06-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Get ready Stevie-D, it's coming to your county soon. Here in Mercer county, we held out for awhile, but it will be the entire state soon. They will make up some bullchit reason why your county needs it too.:(

A friend of mine that works at the local Chevy shop says that just for now are they testing the gas cap to see how much bad vapors are being discharged....:confused: well WTF ever..but it is just his job and he don't understand it either.

Another thing I found disturbing is that the machines that the mechanics bought are already set up to do 'tail pipe' tests!:grr: (this is more expensive, and more intrusive) Guys all around here are having to put converters back on, go to a more stock appearing exhaust system, etc...

Man, this really pisses me off. We are a fuggin farming county....yet we need emissions testing?:mad: To anyone with a working brain, this makes no effing sense!:cuss:

06-14-2004, 08:53 AM
It's a load of chit and I"m glad we did away with it in Louisville.

Just another way for a politician to make money, and if it was so important then they'd shut down 90% of the factories in the nation for pollution.:rolleyes:

A faulty sealing gas cap can cause you to fail, been there done that. I used ta mash the pedal to the floor about 2 miles from the testing center and leave it there for a good 20 seconds....:eek2:

Tommy 17
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
And tommy, I don't know how a mechanic can just slap a sticker on, the report is bar-coded and sent to Harrisburg now. :(

here they just check something with the gas cap on a machine... put the gas cap on and see if it leaks...

then they check something on the cat and see if its working and if it is ur good to go... nothing goes to harrisburgh from here or did as of january when i got mine done....