PDA

View Full Version : Roll design a-arms

creech10
06-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Can someone post pics of long travel roll design a-arms on a 400ex for me .

Tommy 17
06-11-2004, 03:16 PM
your wish is my command:p

boogiechile
06-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Tommy, notice how tall the king pins on the upper a arms are in that pic. There is a lot of space between the joint and the spindle. That helps keep the spingle from leaning in when it goes to full droop. That is the way I build mine. Roll puts that tall pin in on arms for a stock 400ex frame since it is not their frame and they can not lower the mount at the frame. That is what I was talking about in the other thread of yours. That tall pin would keep your spindle from leaning in and touching the bottom arm like it does. but it can not be done with the regular type ball joints like john is using unless they are custom built with a long shaft on them.

grinding or filing the corner off of your spindles is an ok thing to do to make sure you get clearance. I do it all the time. Just make sire you do it all the way around the edge of the spindle so it does not touch when you turn at full droop.

Greenestreak Racing Projects (http://www.picturetrail.com/mojaveaddict)

Tommy 17
06-11-2004, 08:59 PM
ok boogie it all makes sense now!!!! i see what u mean...

wow i can't wait to become a enigneer... i love learning this kinda stuff...

boogiechile
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
yea its all about the arc the arms swing in. with that tall pin the upper arm is not going to go as far down in the arc and therefore not pull in as much.

are you going into engineering when school starts? where at?
What kind of engineering?

Tommy 17
06-11-2004, 09:22 PM
yep i'll be starting school for mechanical engineer in august goin to the university of penn state...

i actually put down engineer undecided so if i like electrical, civil, aerospace, etc more i can transfer easily... it should be fun bc i love physics and math!!!

boogiechile
06-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Most engineering programs start you out in general eng now so you get a taste of all of them all to start with. My son said to tell you it will be harder than you can imagine and nothing like high school. he is in mech eng now at Clemson. I tried to tell him how hard it would be and iy took first hand experience for him to find out and beleive me.

hey man this is boogie's kid. i don't know how ur study habbits r in high school but in order to pass GOTO to class and make sure to KEEP UP WITH THE CURRENT TOPICS (STUDY DAILY) i did niether of these my 2nd semester of my sophmore year and got 3 - F's a A and a B .92 GPA

Tommy 17
06-11-2004, 09:39 PM
thanks for the scare:blah:

i will def go to class everyday and i will try to study everyday... i know if i bust my butt for 4 or 5 years thou i will come out with one of the best educations in the world and will make a good living... i thikn many years of happyness afterwards will be worth the 4 or 5 years of ruff... thats my motivation i keep telling myself...

btw boogie i sent you a pm...

creech10
06-11-2004, 10:47 PM
i want my 400ex to sit low to the ground. Is it the roll design a-arms that make it have high gorund clearence in that pic you posted tommy 17 or is it the suspension?

04'400ex'er
06-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by creech10
i want my 400ex to sit low to the ground. Is it the roll design a-arms that make it have high gorund clearence in that pic you posted tommy 17 or is it the suspension? I think it is the 19 in AXERS:p

boogiechile
06-12-2004, 12:51 AM
look in the pic at all the shock body above the top spring seat. moving the clip up toward the top off the shock will lower it right down. There is also no zps spring on an axis shock to lwt it sag, so you have to adjust the preload further.

Tommy 17
06-12-2004, 07:56 AM
yeah thats just the ride height on the shocks cranked up... they don't have any sag in the shocks...

redrunner
06-12-2004, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boogiechile
[B]Tommy, notice how tall the king pins on the upper a arms are in that pic. There is a lot of space between the joint and the spindle. That helps keep the spingle from leaning in when it goes to full droop. That is the way I build mine. Roll puts that tall pin in on arms for a stock 400ex frame since it is not their frame and they can not lower the mount at the frame. That is what I was talking about in the other thread of yours. That tall pin would keep your spindle from leaning in and touching the bottom arm like it does. but it can not be done with the regular type ball joints like john is using unless they are custom built with a long shaft on them.

Hey will this work on any suspension geometry? I am doing some custom mounted Elkas on my 300 with Burgard arms, can you replace the upper ball joint with a Roll type and fab up king pins to eliminate lean during unloading?

boogiechile
06-12-2004, 02:01 PM
yes it works. But the 300 should not have as bad of a problem with excesive neg camber on droop as a 400ex does, although it will happen. it is not nearly as much of a problem until you get into long travel either.

DangerousDean
06-12-2004, 03:37 PM
creech10 - where in edmonton do you live ? and where do you ride?

Tommy
Have fun with the eng. My brother went in it... 2 years ago, he hated it, and it was pretty hard too. And he was amazing at math and stuff, and calculus... he was really really good at it, and had fun with it, but he couldnt stand eng.
so now hes in 2nd year to be a chemist

creech10
06-12-2004, 07:36 PM
i actually live in sherwood park. I ride mostly at my aunts and uncles they got an acreage and let me build kickers and stuff out there so thats where i mostly practise, I also ride at Bruderheim, Redwater, the dump and at the tracks.

vetteblues10
06-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by boogiechile
Most engineering programs start you out in general eng now so you get a taste of all of them all to start with. My son said to tell you it will be harder than you can imagine and nothing like high school. he is in mech eng now at Clemson. I tried to tell him how hard it would be and iy took first hand experience for him to find out and beleive me.

hey man this is boogie's kid. i don't know how ur study habbits r in high school but in order to pass GOTO to class and make sure to KEEP UP WITH THE CURRENT TOPICS (STUDY DAILY) i did niether of these my 2nd semester of my sophmore year and got 3 - F's a A and a B .92 GPA

sound exactly like last semister for me :( i just could not take it anymore but i convinced myself to try one more year. that purdue engineering degree would look nice on my wall one day :rolleyes:

Chef
06-23-2004, 12:42 PM
The A-Arms on my CRF have zero camber gain through the travel...;)

muff
06-23-2004, 02:26 PM
i love mine :devil:

creech10
06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
muff what kinda roll desing a-arms are those? they arent long travel are they?

muff
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by creech10
muff what kinda roll desing a-arms are those? they arent long travel are they?

+3 long travel :cool:

REAPER
06-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I have to say al the pix on this post look great. I love the look of the Roll Design arms. Thats next on my list along with a new swing. I ride mostly trails and technical stuff.....so wider is not better for me but........DAMN IT LOOKS GOOD. Reaper:D

Gatorman199
06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
wat does WFO in Tommy 17's sig mean?

muff
06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Gatorman199

wide fuggin open :D

TC426EX
06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Gatorman199

C'mon man, you should know that it means holding the throttle WIDE ****ING OPEN!!!

muff
06-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
C'mon man, you should know that it means holding the throttle WIDE ****ING OPEN!!!

see previous post ^^ :p

TORO1968
06-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by vetteblues10
sound exactly like last semister for me :( i just could not take it anymore but i convinced myself to try one more year. that purdue engineering degree would look nice on my wall one day :rolleyes:

Stick with it man...I know my Purdue engineering degree was WELL worth all of the time I spent studying and going to class! :D

-Jordan