PDA

View Full Version : Front Brakes Are Weak!

Fast250EX
06-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I just bought some new EBC brake pads for my front brakes. Once I got them on, I started to try them out and noticed they were terribly weak. It takes everything I got to get them to lock up. The right front one is a little worse than the left because once side of the disc is slightly scraped up from where the old pad wore down to the metal.

My question is that do you think this is just because the new pads haven't broke in yet or do my brakes need to be bled for some odd reason. I have never touched the brake lines on this thing and the feel still seems firm, so I seriously am doubting that there is any air in the lines. It was fine before I got the new pads on so I am hoping they just need to be broken in. But before I proceed with messing with them, I wanted to know some opinions on if my hypothesis is true.

Oh, and if it does need broken in, is there and special technique I should try? Thanks.

-F250EX

300exOH
06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
New pads will need a little break in time. Make about 10-15 easy stops from about 20mph to get them broke in. Don't try to brake real hard right away. You may want to try to bleed them anyhow. You may have pushed air into them when you compressed the piston to fit the new pads. Brake fluid is cheap so it's worth a shot. Just remeber to use dot4.

Fast250EX
06-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I'll try that and I try to get some brake fluid this weekend. I appreciate the help.;)

300exOH
06-11-2004, 01:06 PM
No problem. You may want to make sure the sliders that the calipers ride on aren't frozen. I always use a very small amout of anti seize lubricant on them. You don't want much at all. If it gets on your pads/rotors your brakes won't work well at all