PDA

View Full Version : Just Stopped Running

Ryan
06-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Two weeks ago I bought my quad (used 2001 400ex) from a guy in PA. I was riding it when all the sudden the quad just shut down on me. I was riding around a berm when I stabbed the throttle it just shut down on me. I believe the rear wheels locked up, not sure.

I tried to start it, and got nothing. I noticed at first the battery light wasn't on. So I toke out the fuses (Looked Fine) and replaced them. When I put them in, the battery light was on but the engine would not start over. When I pressed the start button, It would just make a click sound, and that would be it.

So then I tried jump starting it, and the rear wheels did nothing but lock up.

To me it sounds like it could be seized :( .

From what I know, the top end has been rebuilt pretty recently. So im not sure if it could have been done wrong, or what?

Out_Sider
06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
charge your battery..that clicking sound is the starter solenoid, charge up your battery and it will go away and you can ride.

AtvMxRider
06-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
charge your battery..that clicking sound is the starter solenoid, charge up your battery and it will go away and you can ride.

250EXpwns
06-11-2004, 02:00 PM
You either need to charge your battery or look at your starter. You might need to put new brushings in your starter. My little brothers Recon did that.

Ryan
06-11-2004, 02:35 PM
I will charge up my battery. I really do not think this is the problem. The light comes on fine. When I try to jump start it, the wheels just lock up. It doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

Zingnut
06-11-2004, 02:47 PM
If you try to jump start it it needs to be in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th to get the motor going. Thats how I have done it. Just making sure your not jumping it in first. :)

atvracr350
06-11-2004, 03:58 PM
My three wheeler is doing the same thing right now but luckly i have a back-up kick starter i can use on it if i need it. I talked to a mechanic and he said to replace the brushes in my starter and if that doesn't work to replace the starter. But my three wheeler just clicks when i press the button.

Ryan
06-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Zingnut
If you try to jump start it it needs to be in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th to get the motor going. Thats how I have done it. Just making sure your not jumping it in first. :)

I have push started this quad before. I jump it in second gear.

From what I have noticed, I believe the engine has seized :( . The battery works fine, the fuses were replaced, And I can't push start the quad. The rear wheels just completely lock up in second (I've push started it in second a few times before).

I guess I just have to bring this quad to my local atv mechanic.

Im just very mad because I havn't even put an hour of riding on this quad and a major problem has to happen.

TC426EX
06-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Dont take it to a mechanic at a dealership you will get RAPED on labor. Get ready to pay 50-60 dollars an hour to look at and repair it, not including parts. You should just pull the top end off and look at it first and look for signs of siezure or other problems. That will just cost you some time and a few bucks in gaskets and parts.

Ryan
06-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Dont take it to a mechanic at a dealership you will get RAPED on labor. Get ready to pay 50-60 dollars an hour to look at and repair it, not including parts. You should just pull the top end off and look at it first and look for signs of siezure or other problems. That will just cost you some time and a few bucks in gaskets and parts.

Yeah, the guy I take it to is not a dealership. He usually hooks me up with some good deals.

I might take the engine apart and see if I notice anything wrong.

I really should buy the repair manual book for this!

400ex28
06-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Sounds like u need to charge that battery:o

Kilabanshee
06-12-2004, 11:49 AM
That means your ground wire isnot touching, make sure all the grounds on your quad are well connected and you should be fine. Give the battery a good charge and turn her over.

YFZRider718
06-12-2004, 11:52 AM
when its in gear your wheels r supposed to lock up....... lol

charge the battery or get a new one

Ryan
06-12-2004, 04:05 PM
It is not my battery. When you push start it, it should start when it is second gear if you get enough speed.

Any other suggestions about any internal problems that could be going on?

Thanks in advance! ;)

cals400ex
06-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
It is not my battery. When you push start it, it should start when it is second gear if you get enough speed.

Any other suggestions about any internal problems that could be going on?

Thanks in advance! ;)

does the bike roll in neutral or a higher gear?

FBRacing76
06-12-2004, 08:01 PM
it might help if you changed your spark plug. That happened to me once and couldnt figure out what happened! And your bike wont start in any way if you need a new spark plug!

chucked
06-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by FBRacing76
it might help if you changed your spark plug. That happened to me once and couldnt figure out what happened! And your bike wont start in any way if you need a new spark plug!

well we can rule this out because the motor doesnt even turn over....

jjthekj
06-13-2004, 03:53 AM
Chucked, it sounds like you got f*cked. When you consider the fact that you should be able to turn the motor over in gear by pushing it yourself from behind, it doesn't sound good. All hope may not be lost, however. Explore your options before you take it apart. You say there is a fresh top end on it? The added load of a high compression piston could have burned up your starter, and be the reason for your tires locking up so dramatically differently than you've been used to in the past. I know we've jump started riding lawn mowers and motorcycles off the car battery, (NOT RUNNING!!!) maybe you could try that, then move on to the starter. Good luck.

chucked
06-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by jjthekj
Chucked, it sounds like you got f*cked. When you consider the fact that you should be able to turn the motor over in gear by pushing it yourself from behind, it doesn't sound good. All hope may not be lost, however. Explore your options before you take it apart. You say there is a fresh top end on it? The added load of a high compression piston could have burned up your starter, and be the reason for your tires locking up so dramatically differently than you've been used to in the past. I know we've jump started riding lawn mowers and motorcycles off the car battery, (NOT RUNNING!!!) maybe you could try that, then move on to the starter. Good luck.

waaahhhhh?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I know what you can do to see if its siezed, pull the middle cover off of the left engine case (the bigger of the 2 allen wrench heads) and see if you can turn it over, i think its a 17mm socket you will need,

Ryan
06-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
does the bike roll in neutral or a higher gear?

It rolls in neutral. I have put it in 5th gear, held the clutch, pushed it and dropped the clutch. The rear wheels still locked up. It did not want to roll at all.

I could take the spark plug out, and try to roll it. Im not going to bother because im almost positive its seized. I may take the engine apart and check it out. I probably shouldn't touch it considering I don't have a repair manual for it.

chucked
06-13-2004, 10:40 AM
It rolls in neutral. I have put it in 5th gear, held the clutch, pushed it and dropped the clutch. The rear wheels still locked up. It did not want to roll at all.

I could take the spark plug out, and try to roll it. Im not going to bother because im almost positive its seized. I may take the engine apart and check it out. I probably shouldn't touch it considering I don't have a repair manual for it.

you may have vapor lock, just try takin the freekin plug out.

Out_Sider
06-13-2004, 11:46 AM
have you EVEN tried to charge your battery, by god dude, this happens to mine all the dayum time.

Ryan
06-13-2004, 12:31 PM
have you EVEN tried to charge your battery, by god dude, this happens to mine all the dayum time.

How many times do I have to say this! "IT IS NOT THE BATTERY."

I am taking the plug out now.

chucked
06-13-2004, 12:33 PM
I am taking the plug out now.

hurry up!

Ryan
06-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Ok. I had to figure out what size the spark plug nut was, then ended up having to grind down a 18mm socket just to get it to fit.

Same issues as with the spark plug. I should have been able to push the quad in gear (easily) with the plug off. I even put it in 5th gear and still the wheels locked up.

Im wondering if its possible my valves may have seized? Im not really sure. I think im going to bring it to my local motorcycle mechanic tomorrow.

edit: Also, my spark plug did not come out easy. I had to use alot of force the hole way to get the plug out. I don't think this has anything to do with the problem, but just something im curious about. (The threads look fine).

Out_Sider
06-13-2004, 06:37 PM
ok, but that buzzying noise is your battery, but idk about anything else, should have bought a yamaha :o :p

chucked
06-13-2004, 06:49 PM

thats wut u get for buying a yamaha

Ryan
06-13-2004, 09:54 PM
ok, but that buzzying noise is your battery, but idk about anything else, should have bought a yamaha :o :p

Already owned a Yamaha. Can't say I wasn't very impressed with the reliability with my machine. Not saying nothing bad about Yamaha.

Ryan
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
I got an update.

My piston ended up melting itself to the cylinder wall. Chunks of the sleeve fell into my bottom end.

The problem may had happened with an oil leak..... Not sure.

Im looking at a new cylinder, piston, rings, ect.........

I lucked out that my bottom end was not damaged. Piston rod was straight, no damage to the crankshaft............ Also no damage to the head.

Still looking at an expensive job for a quad I only ridden for less then 1 hour :o .

Chanman420q
07-02-2004, 09:53 PM
i had the same problem only i had bent some valves:)

Quad Dude
07-03-2004, 11:13 PM
who ever told him to go charge the battery after he told u he tried to coast start it plz go buy a bullet and rent a gun put it to ur head and free the world of ur stupidity my god i was just thinking the whole time i was reading WTF how dumb do people get. man i was just getting agrivated just reading it.
how can u not know than when u coast start some thing the battery isnt doing a damn thing

04'400ex'er
07-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Quad Dude
who ever told him to go charge the battery after he told u he tried to coast start it plz go buy a bullet and rent a gun put it to ur head and free the world of ur stupidity my god i was just thinking the whole time i was reading WTF how dumb do people get. man i was just getting agrivated just reading it.
how can u not know than when u coast start some thing the battery isnt doing a damn thing :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: True dat. I would hunt down the S.O.B. that built that motor in his garage and kickhis *** if he didnt pay for the full repair. And If he offers to fix it himself, Kick his *** anyway for his stupidity.:o