PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Engine removal

Throttle_Junky
06-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Please HELP!!!!

So I'm burning too much oil, so I've decided that I need to change my rings. Thats not to scary, drive in my shop and jack the quad up and start dissasamble to rip the engine out. So I've dissconnected all the everything, wireing, chain, oil-lines, carb, exhaust, etc. Then it's time to take out engine mounts, so I,ve taken out all three small engine hanger bolts and now its time to remove the BIG (and hollow) swingarm/engine mount bolt. After spinning the nut off it will not move, so I try the impact and it wont' even turn. BIG rachet with a BIG snipe, and finally it turns abit'. Now the bolt will turn round and round, but will not move out the side of the frame. I believe the spacer the goes from the right side of the frame to the engine is (horribly) rusted to the bolt. Any ideas or tips or excperience??? Please HELP!!!!

P.S. If you have done this and it came apart lickity split please let me know!! I feel that I'm missing something.

FF1O5
06-11-2004, 04:45 AM
when i took mine apart we had the same problem so we cut the end off and chiseled it out bit by bit. it held up our project a day or two untill we figured out what to do.we got a new one from the dealer and i believe it was pretty darn expensive but im not 100% positive .

Bill Fuller
06-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Ahh the 'ole stuck swing arm pivot bolt:( This is very common with the 400 ex.It is suggested that the pivot bolt be removed atleast twice a year and lubed to prevent this from happening.I have good news and bad news for you throttle junky............................................. ..................................The good news is there is tons of info on the site on how to remove it and they are not that expensive to replace.The bad news is you don't need to remove the motor to change the rings.Obviously it's time you lubed the pivot bolt so it's all good.Take your time read through the post and there are some good tips to get it out.Be patient young Jedi there is help:D

Quadzilla
06-11-2004, 07:50 AM
Try hosing all the exposed areas down with WD40 twice a day for 4 or 5 days straight and then try to remove it. This worked for me! I sprayed both ends of the bolt and inside areas where it goes through the motor.

UglyMotha™
06-11-2004, 08:47 AM
truthfully if you don't feel like screwing with the swing arm bolt, you can do a top end without removing the motor the head and jug will fit between the upper frame rails, but since you got it apart you might as well pull it out and grease the swing arm bolt but for in the future the motor doesn't have to come outta the frame to do a rebuild unless you're splitting your cases

TM426
06-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I would just pull the whole motor its really easy. Its going to be harder keeping the internals of the motor really clean while doing the work then the actual removal, especially if your motor is in the frame. Youll be really pissed when bolts snap. The swing arm bolt isnt that bad to remove especially if you dont mind buying a new one.

toby400ex
06-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Swingarm bolts are only $20 from servicehonda.com . Cut it out and buy a new one.

400ex28
06-12-2004, 11:31 AM
You could have taken it apart withthe engine in but since u got everything off might as well take it apart then lube it up.