PDA

View Full Version : 41fcr throttle cable question

quadmx7
06-10-2004, 10:17 PM
lets say i but a 41mm fcr carb but it has no throttle cable, will the stock thumb throttle cable work or do i have to buy one made for the fcr

cals400ex
06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
i don't think the stock one works, but i haven't really looked closely at it before. the yamaha yfz 450 works wonderful from what i hear

MIKE400EX
06-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Cal's right, stock won't work. I think you can also use one from a Honda 400 Foreman, not positive on that one though, C&D can get it for you.

quadmx7
06-11-2004, 01:41 PM
well that sucks, i heard yfz cables are stiff? how much does a throttle cable cost?

Quadzilla
06-11-2004, 02:14 PM
It's not the cables that are stiff, it's the return spring on the carb and the fact that the FCR is a mechanical slide carb, not vacume (CV). The FCR slide opens in the carb mechanically not by vacume like on most stock carbs.

FCR's are designed for a "push/pull" twist system. A push/pull system uses two cables. One that "pulls" the throttle open while the other cables is "pushing" it open at the same time. Plus your wrist is a hell of a lot stringer than your thumb.

I switched to twist throttles on quads in the late 80's and never looked back. Many racers use them also (Kory Ellis, etc).

We ride for 8-10 hrs at a time around here. A lot of guys with thumb throttle complain after a while. I just keep on twisting!

cals400ex
06-11-2004, 09:50 PM
yeah, it shouldn't be the cable that is stiff. it should be the carb. the throw on these carbs is much shorter than stock. also, 2 slides are brought up and down inside the carb. the spring will play the largest factor though.

TC426EX
06-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I couldnt use a stock one on my FCR 39mm, so I dont think you would be able to on the 41 either. I wouldnt go twist man, its very unsafe for a quad, but some people like it. I like just being able to hold on tight when racing MX. I wouldnt want to get used to landing cockeyed or tearing around, when worrying that moving my wrist on a landing or turn will suddenly gas me off the track. I prefer the thumb with my FCR, but you can do what you want man.

Quadzilla
06-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Then how do a lot of the pro racers that use twist do it man??? That's bogus. Twist is just as safe if not more on a quad. You just have to get used to it. Puls you get the benefit of your whole hand being twisted around the grip to hold on. Your thumb is not around the bar on a thumb throttle which to me is unsafe. Can't hold on as tight and more risk of bars being oulled out of your hands. You think riding a dirt bike is that much different than on a quad? No! I've done both. You get jolted around on a dirt bike too and it does not get you into trouble either. Do want you want but twist is safe also. In a day or so, you will have it down pretty good...

quadmx7
06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
definatly not going twist right now. when i ride a dirtbike on a track i alwasy screw up a landing cuz of the twist i come down hammerd on it into the powerband and loose it. i like thub throttle and thats what i'll stay with. but 2 guys i ride with swear by a twist throttle.