PDA

View Full Version : help with crap on handlebar

Butters
06-10-2004, 09:10 PM
ok i need some help on the starter button and light switches on my 4-wheeler. i took them off and just wired a button start. but now i put the old starter on and need to know how to turn the lights on and off. i will be putting some fog lights on so they won't have high and low beems. how do i hook the lights up so i can just turn them on and off??

Cody_300ex
06-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Just get a toggle switch but make sure it's water proof tho.

Butters
06-10-2004, 09:18 PM
yeah i thought about that but i don't really want to add too much crap. i would like to use whats already there.

Butters
06-11-2004, 10:11 PM
ttt

crazyelece
06-12-2004, 08:41 PM
you could get a key switch from a cannondale and set it up like the dale. It has off - on - on w/ lights. Lets you add a light switch with no extra switches.

throwinitup
06-13-2004, 12:14 PM
im not sure if the 'dale key would work...those are only for single-beam headlights...and as you know your 400 has dual beams...

crazyelece
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
If you read his post though he is adding fog lights and not 400ex lights so all he needs is an on off switch. The lights wouldn't be dual beam so the dale switch or something like it is the perfect answer

Butters
06-13-2004, 10:53 PM
originally i took all the stuff off and just wired a button start. but now i want to put it back on and i don't know how to wire the switch to turn off the fog lights by using the stuff that came on it. thats what i am wanting. thanks.

crazyelece
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
So you want regular 400ex lights w added fog lights? If this is the case the easiest way to start is to wire it back original and go from there. If the fog lights are single beam you have three options. You can wire them into the low beams only like a car or truck, you could wire them into the high beam only so you could aim them low while having the highs also, or you can wire them to the lights on/off switch so that the fogs are on when lows or highs are on. Let me know which you need and I can help you wire them. Its not very complicated.

Butters
06-14-2004, 08:13 PM
ok

#1 i have a 300ex

#2 i don't remember how to wire it back to stock

#3 i just want the foglights to be able to be turned off by using the original on off switch, not the high low beams.

hopefully that clears things up. i don't know where 400ex ever came in. but sorry if it did.

crazyelece
06-14-2004, 09:00 PM
The 400ex might have been my misread, but it shouldn't matter I think they all have the same wiring. I think my 250 recon even has the same switch. Basically you need to measure the continuity of the wires coming off the switch and find the two that short out and open up when the switch is flipped from lights on to lights off. After you have found these wires measure the voltages on the original wiring or run a new wire from the battery and find the +12V side. Then splice the +12V to one side of the switch and the positive wire off the fog light to the other and then ground the negative side of the fog lights. It should then work.

Butters
06-15-2004, 07:46 PM
ok thanks i'll see what i can do.