PDA

View Full Version : snowmobiles on dirt\sand?

YFZ450Ridr
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
If you got a wild hair and decided to take a snow mobile on dirt trails and dunes n stuff, would it work good. I guess you would need to swap out the front ski's for some tires but leave the rear track. I was just thinkin of this and thought it might work, some one else tell me what u think.

quadfamily
06-10-2004, 08:49 PM
The only conversion I ever saw a picture of was this one. In one of the huevos films I believe they have sleds rippin it up in teh sand dunes. I've ridden my snowmobiles on wet grass before but not for too long because it was warm out and I didn't want to overheat the engines. In case you didn't already know, they race sleds at the drag strip. they have a class for them and they are FAST! They put wheels on the front end somehow for this though.

HoNdAdude48
06-10-2004, 09:11 PM
last time i went to memphis for the nmca world finals they had a sled down there. that thing was running like 10's in the 1/4. i went and took a look at it, they wernt running wheel on the front, they took rubber wheelie bar wheels inside the ski's or whatever you call them, it was defenatly strange, but cool

partyboy300ex
06-10-2004, 09:16 PM
it wont work unless u have wheels on th abck becuase u will melt part of the track idk remember wht its called..on snow the snow keeps it cool so u dont have to worry:macho

TheFontMaster
06-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Up here every year a local club sponsors snomoblile (sp) grass drag races, it's called the snow bash, some of the other riders fron central NY have had to hear about this. Some of the sleds go over 100 mph, and I think it's an 1/8 mile strip. When you stand on the sidlines, and the sleds come by at like 80 90 mph you can feel the ground shaking. It's awsome, Only thing is it atracts A-LOT of rednecks, thats the only disadvantage of it. I got a good story about a couple years ago, all i can say is that involved a few of my buddies, a girl and an angry mom with a shotgun lol. Ill let you guys fill in the blanks. Good times.

quadfamily
06-10-2004, 09:46 PM
partyboy is talking about the slides. that's what the track basically rides on. They're made of plastic and need the snow/water to lubricate them. This is the reason I only rode mine on wet grass to keep the slides lubricated. The ones who drag race must do something else to lube the slides because when the slides heat up you slow down because of the friction.
HondaDude, That's what I was talking about for the front wheels, I just couldn't remember exactly how they did it.

hondarider2006
06-10-2004, 09:55 PM
You can ride a snowmachine anywhere....for how long that is a differnt story. I rode my snowmachine A LOT last summer, mostly on water, which is not bad, but the one time I did I got chased for a good 1/2 mile down a gravel road by the park rangers. Granted I was doing a good 80 on the gravel, when I shut her off, I could hear the anti-freeze boiling, and my slides were shot....If your going to ride them in the summer months, keep them on the water, or its gonna cost you some $. Here is picture of me last summer right before the chase, our High School Homecoming party at a local lake "Chena Lake"

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/pd762fd5383ba0c8770ad2a43c752112b/face0383.jpg

HoNdAdude48
06-10-2004, 10:19 PM
dude, holy ****, are you on a lake? like how deep is that? do sleds float?:huh sorry dont know much about them.:eek:

Butters
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
do they float or is it cause they move so fast?

Fred55
06-10-2004, 11:20 PM
the track moves so fast it acts like a paddle on a paddle boat, you just gotta make sure the skis are on top of the water tho!

K2Snow
06-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Saw a guy out at the dunes riding a sled through the surf. *note* Dunes are bordered by Pacific Ocean ;) * Can imagine what it is going to look like after the salt has its way with it.

hondarider2006
06-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by HoNdAdude48
dude, holy ****, are you on a lake? like how deep is that? do sleds float?:huh sorry dont know much about them.:eek:

Yup that is a BIG *** lake. Around 35-40 feet deep. And no snowmachines don't float:o Earlier that summer I sank that one. Made sure it was off before it went under so no water go into my crank. Pulled it out, took out the plugs and pulled it over a good 50 times. Threw the plugs in and went back out:cool: When you are on water with a sled, try to have a paddle track....1 1/2" will do, but 2" is better. Keep 'er at least 50mph on the water and you should be good. Start small, pretty soon you will be going up river;)

TRX250X
06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
They have special tracks for asphalt dragging. And guys who drag sleds on asphalt or grass usually have a little trailer with a pump on it and a cooler of water or antifreeze mix that they can quick connect to their sleds radiator system and cool it off quickly after a run.

Normally the motor is cooled by the heat exchanger which is under the seat. The track throws snow on it, and this cools the antifreeze that runs through it.

I recommend not riding much off the snow. I rode a friends polaris 800 on grass for five minutes, and the temperature warning light came on. Plus it's really hard on the sliders(hyfax) and the carbides under the front skis.

Chanman420q
06-11-2004, 08:08 PM
key word snow... snowmobiles

partyboy300ex
06-11-2004, 09:37 PM
when they do the drags the slide is ok because it is a short distance if if was a long one it would melt and thats bad it happened to me..:rolleyes: