PDA

View Full Version : engine builders help..416 install question

CranMan
03-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Here's my problem/question. I took my engine apart using a Helm tech manual, all went well (excluding the broken head cover bolt!!) Now when I'm looking through the manual for re-ssembly I have a question. How do I know I've got the piston TDC on the compression stroke instead of the exhaust stroke? Since the "T" lines up in the hole on either stroke, if the engine was together it would be easy to tell because both rockers would be loose if it was the compression stroke. But now I'm not sure. I do know when I took it apart I got it TDC on comp stroke. Then I had to go one more revoloution to get the other bolts out of the cam gear. But since then I accidently put it in gear and moved it, and the piston moved. Help please, I'm having a brain fart right now!!!

MIKE400EX
03-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Doesn't make any difference since it fires on every revolution. Just put it on "any" TDC and install the cam w/the lobes down.

wyndzer
03-24-2002, 06:18 PM
Like Mike said, just make sure that you align the cam with the lobes down while at the T mark, there is not really a compression stroke until the cam is actually installed and the valve cover is in place.

P.S. The Cannondale is waiting for that special moment!!!