PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Question

Chanman420q
06-10-2004, 07:43 PM
i have a weisco 11:1 compression piston, and i was wondering if its safe to remove the base gasket to get a little more compression out of it? what about the head gasket?

04'400ex'er
06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Xr head gasket will add a little more comp (.2:1) over the ex gasket.

cals400ex
06-11-2004, 01:43 AM
you can remove the basegasket and use hondabond down there for a sealant and remove two layers of the headgasket and only use one of the layers. just make sure all of the surfaces are clean or you may have a leak. my buddy runs this setup without a problem

Chanman420q
06-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
you can remove the basegasket and use hondabond down there for a sealant and remove two layers of the headgasket and only use one of the layers. just make sure all of the surfaces are clean or you may have a leak. my buddy runs this setup without a problem

this wont cause a problem with anything else will it? like any clearance or timing issues?

cals400ex
06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
this wont cause a problem with anything else will it? like any clearance or timing issues?

well this definately brings the piston closer to the valves. my buddy is running this setup right now without any problems. i would pm Mickey Dunlap and he would be able to tell you more than i can. i believe he is who recommends it.

toby400ex
06-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Mickey dunlap does the no base gasket and 1 layer head gasket to get he compression the quoted ratio of the piston maker. Since the makers designed the pistons for the xr400 and feel no need to make one for the 400ex.:rolleyes:

Chanman420q
06-12-2004, 09:25 AM
How Much extra compression? im thinking im going to keep the base gasket, because i dont want to use that honda bond stuff.. dont like the idea of it. so how many layers shoulkd be taken off the head gasket?

cals400ex
06-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
How Much extra compression? im thinking im going to keep the base gasket, because i dont want to use that honda bond stuff.. dont like the idea of it. so how many layers shoulkd be taken off the head gasket?

well, you have the choice of taking off one or two layers i guess. if you only take off one, the chances of leaking would be less but you would also not increase the compression as much either.

da_catt
06-12-2004, 10:51 AM
i did the one layer top and no base gasket. I used the stock piston. I think the aftermarket pistons have different compression heights so you would want to check the piston to valve clearence. The honda bond on the base of the cylinder works good when everything is cleaned and you don't use too much.