PDA

View Full Version : urgent need engine help!

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Here is the deal i am reasembling my 416. Wiesco piston 11:1 no base gasket and single layer head gasket,hd timing chain from pro fab,hot cam stage 2,and larger intake valves and ported and polished. THIS IS THE PROBLEM when i turn the engine over by hand i get compression out of the intake and the it sucks in air. I have double checked tdc it is correct,cam timing is also spot on and i installed the cam tdc with the lobes down. Just to see if it made a difference i removed the vavle lash adjusters from the rocker arms and still have the same results. IS something wrong with my head? PLEASE HELP!!!:(

Quadzilla
06-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I've heard of many people installing their cams in incorrectly @ 180 degrees. Sounds like it could be that to me. Somebody else confirm??

2003400exmnymds
06-10-2004, 07:22 PM
On a normal start correct me if im wrong but when the piston goes up its compressing and on the downstroke the exhaust will have a little suck until the compresion overcomes the crank. I put mine back together and it sucked a little when I had the kill switch off cause when I put oil in I cranked it and got it moving through the knooks and crannys. When I cranked mine the first time on the first try it started right up. I did nothing to the head just replaced the tranny. Good Luck

MIKE400EX
06-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Cam 180 out is OK, crank out 180 would be very hard to do. Make sure you are lining up the correct timing mark on the flywheel. Are all the timing marks lining up exactly or is the cam off a little? Do you have a timing (flywheel) advance key? If all checks out OK, then take the head off and see why the intake valve(s) are leaking or staying open. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the starter to turn the motor over. Could also blow out the intake if the exhaust valves are not opening or the exhaust is plugged.

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 08:35 PM
cam is of just a hair but that is do to the head gasket mod,and the flywheel timing mark is spot on with top dead center. the intake valves are not open all the timing just opening too early.could i have a bad cam here is the part #0422044 E1016 i am going to remove the rockers completely and see if it still does it ,i hope it isnt the head i waited long onogh for my parts before!

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 10:11 PM
just got done removing the head and found the problem,both intake vavles were leaking. Must not have been lapped in correctly ill do it myself tommarow. If any one has valve work done do a quick check turn the head upside down with spark plug in and tight and pour water in until full now look for any water in the ports. wish i would have first!!!

JOEX
06-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Just wondering.....

Is there any chance the valves are bent and/or the guides are worn?

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 10:19 PM
i hope not they are all brand new. just probably need lapped in some more to take out miner inperfections and they should seal.

da_catt
06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
i think gas would be a better to use than water. it will evaporate faster and i think it is thinner so it will show leaks better.

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 10:23 PM
any liguid will work but water is pretty safe!

da_catt
06-10-2004, 10:27 PM
is it safe to run a Wiesco piston and one layer head gasket and no base gasket? don't the aftermarket pistons have a different comp height? might want to look at the piston to valve clearence.

turnandburn
06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
way ahead of ya bud checked it with modeling clay and yes it is safe ask mickey dunlap or do a search and read his thread on it. ;)

MIKE400EX
06-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Alcohol is the preferred liquid to check for valve leaks. ANY new valves and the corresponding seats have to be ground and then lapped for a proper seal.