PDA

View Full Version : advice~*?stepping up in power

400exmom
06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
recently ive been scooting around on a yfz450~ someone wants me to try mx on it but i get armpump from hangin on after one lap~and after runnin stock everything on a 400ex the suspension feels like something i need to get used to .. any tips besides seat time i know im not ready to race that thing i have to really hang on..

JRDrider22
06-10-2004, 07:12 PM
endurance wins it all...you may get arm pump from one lap becuase your not used to it . even if ur a lady/girl try to do a little lifting using ur forearms during the day.

dirtriderex
06-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Kim does the yfz belong to the guy I met at the last race in wedron? make sure your hydrated it can affect you muscles. Try doing reverse barbell curls, works wonders on the forearms. Man there seems to be no races going on this suxs:grr:

Out_Sider
06-10-2004, 09:57 PM
ride, ride, ride, that's all i know to say, lol. stay loose on the quad, dont let it ride you, you have to ride it

gump
06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
i went from a 300 ex to a z400.. it takes seat time to get used to it.. and dropping a tooth on the front sproket made it easier to hold onto in the woods!!!!!!!!!!

batgeek
06-10-2004, 10:27 PM
laugh all you want...but kneading bread dough helps arm pump. :)

other than that, there were some very good replies to one of QJ's thread that she asked how to help with her grip problem. lemme find the thread. brb

wOOt! back!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105882&highlight=pump+exercises

QuadJunkies
06-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by batgeek
laugh all you want...but kneading bread dough helps arm pump. :)

other than that, there were some very good replies to one of QJ's thread that she asked how to help with her grip problem. lemme find the thread. brb

wOOt! back!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105882&highlight=pump+exercises Read it Kym....... REALLY good info there.......:) I feel for ya .......:(

1fastprototype
06-11-2004, 07:32 AM
lots of seat time, relax your grip, and hold on with your knees and thighs like your , well just hold on other than tight grip with your hands.

QuadJunkies
06-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 1fastprototype
lots of seat time, relax your grip, and hold on with your knees and thighs like your , well just hold on other than tight grip with your hands. :devil:

400grl
06-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Ride a Banshee for 6 months, then switch over to the YFZ - that teaches you to hang on without getting tired! LOL!!! (worked for me!!! ) I never get arm pump on the YFZ...... ;)

Rip_Tear
06-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Ride a Banshee for 6 months, then switch over to the YFZ - that teaches you to hang on without getting tired! LOL!!! (worked for me!!! ) I never get arm pump on the YFZ...... ;)

I was going to suggest something similar... Just keep with it Kim eventually you will be asking for more power :p :D

Kev
06-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Just do lots of pushups. And do about 50 or so 15 minutes before you jump on that quad to race....

Now you have my race secret.....Enjoy.....

Kev

lshonda310
06-15-2004, 07:55 PM
does it have the stock shocks? If so with your wieght you probably need lighter springs. On my stock shocks I backed the preload all the way off on the springs and it felt like a totally different quad, I also backed the compression all the way loose and the rebound on the rear too. If the front is too stiff it will help cause arm pump from the jarring, causing you to hold on tighter.

cliq20
06-15-2004, 09:28 PM
you can also change the bars from stock and change the thumb throttle. those help. a lot of setup to the way you ride and hold on depend on things like that. everyone is different. stock bars' angle has a lot to do with it too...

daddio
06-16-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by cliq20
you can also change the bars from stock and change the thumb throttle. those help. a lot of setup to the way you ride and hold on depend on things like that. everyone is different. stock bars' angle has a lot to do with it too...
Yes. just the position that you have the controls at will affect arm pump alot. try different height and bend bars. personally I found the pro taper "windem" bend with the adapters or a 1" longer steering stem.
at the last WORCS race, a few guys were running the "fasst" bars. they swore by them and they are cheaper than full blown race shocks.

400exmom
06-16-2004, 07:36 AM
I AGREE 100% on the handlebars!!! i thought i was nuts for thinkin it BUT! i use dirtbike bars on my 400 and i LOVE them i feel totally in control! the yfz stock bars makes me feel like im drivin a small utility quad! thanks everyone for yer help!

jr1975atv
06-16-2004, 04:31 PM
lots of good ideas have to try some of them. The shocks are pep zps 8 clicks valved for 170-180 should i back the compression off for her or just go by feel ? Oh and lsr dc4 long travel front with rear rebuild if that helps any.

daddio
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
I got a tip on "gregs garage" last night about suspension settings. He had a tuner from ohlins on. he said the best way to dial in your "clicks" is to get a pad and pencil and write down the settings you start with. then make changes one setting at a time and write down the results. when you get into fine tuning your suspension, there are too many variables, like how you ride, the terrain, weather, etc. etc. to just say "set it at x clicks and it'll be right". and dont forget about adjusting "sag" or preload.