PDA

View Full Version : It Wont Shift

Honda Guy
03-24-2002, 04:02 PM
After a full day of ridding today I put the 400EX on the truck and I was in first gear when I went to put it in neutral it wouldn't shift I couldn't get it to go in 2nd or neutral or any thing buy 1st after playing with it a little I got it to shift but it keeps doing this and when it does shift some times it will act normal and sometimes its really hard. I have put a pep clutch lever and perch and when I changed it I messed up the cable a little bit it fraided just a little and it might of stretched it a little o ya and I dident ride itt hardly at all with the problem but it runs good in that gear its in.:confused:

03-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Mine wouldn't shift unless you really hit the shifter hard (like put your foot to the ground and then just came up under the shifter, hard) and sometimes it shifted fine...dunno if it's the same thing you've got goin on, but... my problem turned out to be that the clutch plates were dirty and the clutch was slighly out of adjustment. Might help, might not.

REDNECK400EX1

400EX
CT Racing Pipes
K&N

03-24-2002, 04:42 PM
I have the same problem with my 300ex somethimes. All I have to do to get it to shift os to rool the wheeler forward and back and it will usually go right into gear after doing this. I think it is that the gears dont always line up properly. I dont know thats what I think the problem but that is only my $.02

Leo
03-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Is it hard to shift while it's running..?

If it's running, and it 'lurches' a bit when shifted the clutch is dragging, which can make it harder to shift..

If it's hard to shift just sitting there, then you may have to roll it back and forth just a bit like killer300ex suggested..

Leo

03-24-2002, 06:38 PM
i had this problem before. it is casued by the shifter fork. it is eather broken or pretty dead.

03-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Not the Shifter lever th shifter fork inside

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Shifter forks get bent by not using the clutch when changing gears

Honda Guy
03-25-2002, 08:53 AM
I always use the clutch when I shift I think mabe 3 times it has beens shifed with out the clutch. I always used it so this wouldent happen could it be the clutch cable? I have figured out it only does this when the engine is running when its shut off it works fine. I need to fix this I have a big ride sunday.

Honda Guy
03-26-2002, 06:01 PM
I dicided to replace my clutch cabe because it was a litttle fraided or so I thought anyways it turns out it was almost broke it was held on by 2 wires I got a new one and put it on and its all better.:D