PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs yfz450

riotpaul
06-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Please some one, anybody which one is better all around quad for woods, motorcoss, play riding, and wheelies.

Please help me which one I should get pros and cons of each.:)

sparky450AR
06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
If your going to be doing everything, i would reccomend the 450R. I think even some YFZ owners would agree with me. Now if you are going to spend the majority of your time on an MX track, go for the YFZ.

Scottie lets go dude!!!!:p jp

JAS326
06-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
If your going to be doing everything, i would reccomend the 450R. I think even some YFZ owners would agree with me. Now if you are going to spend the majority of your time on an MX track, go for the YFZ.

I completely agree.

Scottie Mac
06-09-2004, 07:32 AM

Scottie lets go dude!!!!:p jp

".....Sparky connects with a stiff jab to Scottie's forehead...."

Ride 'em both! Make up your own mind! Sparky is i=on the right trck, though. Especially if you are keeping them stock. If you plan on moding them, you can make either of them a MX quad or a trail burner.

Scott

RuffRyder
06-09-2004, 10:30 AM
If you want wheelies, the 450R is for you. Play riding is also fun on both. I guess its a toss up, all depends on if you have the extra 900$ for the Yammie

Scottie Mac
06-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyder
all depends on if you have the extra 900$ for the Yammie

Please explain?

Scott

RuffRyder
06-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Well in terms of performance...they are basically the same. If you were to drag them, the YFZ may win one, the 450R may win one. They both are great machines to own and if you like the Yamaha better...its gonna cost about 900$ more than the TRX.. Around here the YFZ is 7200 and TRX is 6300. Hope this helped

Scottie Mac
06-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyder
Well in terms of performance...they are basically the same. If you were to drag them, the YFZ may win one, the 450R may win one. They both are great machines to own and if you like the Yamaha better...its gonna cost about 900$ more than the TRX.. Around here the YFZ is 7200 and TRX is 6300. Hope this helped

Bro, no offence, but you don't think that prices are the same all over the nation do you????

Oh, and by the way, I paid $6005 for mine in West Virginia with no sales tax. Does that mean the Yamaha is $295 cheaper than the Honda? NO.

MSRP, the Honda is a little cheaper in terms of price, but not $900. ANd, once you add the HRC kit, which most guys do, they are nearly the same in price.

No flame intended,
Scott

86atc250r
06-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but then you figure most YFZ guys end up mounting at least a slip on & then the YFZ is more expensive... :p

Come on now --- it seems we're arguing just for the sake of arguing here... Is this crap really worth the back and forth exchange?

Both are excellent choices -- neither is inherently "better" overall than the other.

For some people the TRX is a better platform to start from -- for some the YFZ. Some like the looks of one quad over the other. For some, the ergo's of one fit better than the other. Etc, etc, etc...

In the end, both make excellent XC and MX quads - if one's more suited to MX or XC than the other it's only by a very small margin. In fact, if you ride at the level that any small difference will matter, you'll be changing so many things from stock it won't matter anyway.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either.

Nuff said.

sparky450AR
06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Yeah, but then you figure most YFZ guys end up mounting at least a slip on & then the YFZ is more expensive... :p

Come on now --- it seems we're arguing just for the sake of arguing here... Is this crap really worth the back and forth exchange?

Both are excellent choices -- neither is inherently "better" overall than the other.

For some people the TRX is a better platform to start from -- for some the YFZ. Some like the looks of one quad over the other. For some, the ergo's of one fit better than the other. Etc, etc, etc...

In the end, both make excellent XC and MX quads - if one's more suited to MX or XC than the other it's only by a very small margin. In fact, if you ride at the level that any small difference will matter, you'll be changing so many things from stock it won't matter anyway.

Nuff said.

:D

WOracing
06-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Bro, no offence, but you don't think that prices are the same all over the nation do you????

Oh, and by the way, I paid $6005 for mine in West Virginia with no sales tax. Does that mean the Yamaha is $295 cheaper than the Honda? NO.

MSRP, the Honda is a little cheaper in terms of price, but not $900. ANd, once you add the HRC kit, which most guys do, they are nearly the same in price.

No flame intended,
Scott

lol i agree

Scottie Mac
06-09-2004, 06:51 PM

Nuff said.

WHO'S ARGUING? Did you not read the part when I said "NO FLAME INTENDED!"

I didn't realize that trying to explain that prices across the nation are not the same was arguing. Thit IS a forum to exchange information, isn't it?

Some of you guys really need to relax. Oh god, that might be look at as arguing, bad scottie, bad scottie.... :devil:

Scott

86atc250r
06-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Who needs to relax :confused:

I love it when someone spazzes and tells me that *I* need to relax :cool:

Sandgod4
06-09-2004, 10:06 PM
I'd buy the Yamahammer. My opinion is Honda missed the boat.. It's a "Want to be racer"... My unbiased opinion..

chris keller
06-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I raced a yfz today at the dunes. He got a mouth full of sand!

TRX450R014
06-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Don't start with the honda missed the boat stuff,it sounds lame.Have you rode one?probably not.I will never understand where this opinion comes from.Anyway "enjoy what you ride&ride what you enjoy!

Ryan
06-10-2004, 09:02 PM

Ride 'em both! Make up your own mind!

Thats probably the best answer in this thread. Ride them both, which ever one suits you better, go out and get it! :macho

Out_Sider
06-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Thats probably the best answer in this thread. Ride them both, which ever one suits you better, go out and get it! :macho

that's probably what i'll end up doing...its the best way to decide ;)

06-10-2004, 10:22 PM
the best way for you to decide is to go out & buy the trx450r...then race a YFZ & smoke him...:p

chris keller
06-10-2004, 11:58 PM
thats right!

Punk'd
06-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by chris keller
I raced a yfz today at the dunes. He got a mouth full of sand!

This is the kinda stuff that makes my day:D

stiffy
06-11-2004, 07:52 AM
My personal experience- my husband bought a 450R and when I was shopping for a new quad I also wanted the 450R but ended up getting the YFZ instead ( it was cheaper) we went out to a place called Knolls they have a huge dry lake bed for as far as the eye can see my husbands 450R has a full FMF titanium exhaust and mine was stock I smoked him by about 30 feet he said that it wasn't fair cause he weighed more. So my little brother and our friend jumped on both are 130-135 lbs and are very experienced on quads and bikes and stuff the YFZ still smoked the 450R by atleast 20 feet that answered it for me but I still like the cushyness of the 450R but I don't like how tippy it is compared to my YFZ. just my .02

Dokyo
06-11-2004, 08:24 AM
We lined them both up behind the dealership here in Northern Utah...totally stock and not broke in the YZ was quicker...just over a bike length in 200 feet or so...guy on the TRX is about 20 pounds lighter... switched riders and same results...now again this isnt a great assessment as both were just wheeled off the dealers lot...jetting unknown, not broke in etc...

From doing several different rides on the different machines i believe the Yamaha is quicker...not necessarily faster...and i believe she is a better track machine in stock format as her handling is more precise and stable...TRX can be mod'd to do the same...

If you want to talk about handling and speed of mod'd quads its not between the YZF or the TRX...its who has the most money ... as both these quads are solid enough with a little money it can out edge the competition...and this can go back and forth for who knows how long.

I chose the YZF for three reasons...thought i found a good deal on one a guy had just purchased that would save me close to 2k at the time...loved the handling of the YZ...HATED the TRX kick start...I know those with the TRX will say it starts just as good as the YZ and the kick start is great...but to me its unnecessary and should have been provided as an option with the HRC kit (when i was looking at the honda the HRC kit did not impress me as much as the sparks cam and setup)...if kick start is that great and easy i can install it on my YZ as an option and lose another 10 pounds off her weight...but that is personal preference and between these two quads that is what it comes down to...what a great time to be a quad enthusiasts...more exciting to see what racers kawi and Zuk bring to the table next year...no matter which one you get or have...enjoy as they both rip

quadrcr161
06-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Dokyo
We lined them both up behind the dealership here in Northern Utah...totally stock and not broke in the YZ was quicker

thanks for abusing 2 new motors, ill be sure to never buy from a dealership there. i hope you tell the people what you did to two brand new motors when they go to buy them. :confused:

Dokyo
06-11-2004, 09:49 AM
sorry if i offended you...sure i am the only one that does that and should be taken out and shot

Many different theories on break in procedures...some say break it in like your gonna ride it...others say only half throttle...quess the crime is determined by your thoughts here...tho i imagine this is not the best thing in the world for it...if i am going to drop 7k I am going test the quads to be comfortable about the purchase and am sure the dealer knew what we were doing

As far as telling the people...sure. Just like the guys out doing the same thing to the rappy and KFX on the other side of us...you are very niave if you think people dont line them up like that periodically...i had two dealers tell me they did it when i was going around looking.

Your concerns for others well being is appreciated by some I am sure...but to me your just showing your back side

quadrcr161
06-11-2004, 09:59 AM
i know dealerships do it, and as long as you warrenty the bike if anything goes wrong with it its ok i guess. i made sure when i orderd mine i wanted noone to touch it because i didnt want anyone taking a brand new motor out and beating on it. when i picked mine up it was still in the box, if they didnt have to do the inspection i would have never let them touch it. and my thought is if i drop 7k on a new quad i want to make sure it has been treated right.

Sandgod4
06-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R014
Don't start with the honda missed the boat stuff,it sounds lame.Have you rode one?probably not.I will never understand where this opinion comes from.Anyway "enjoy what you ride&ride what you enjoy!

My unbiased opinion. You love Honda and will always defend the brand. I am not brand loyal!!!! Again Honda missed the boat... It's slower, doesn't handle as good, the rear end is all wrong, sits to high, kick start only was a mistake also.. You can fix some of those problems, but it's gonna cost you a whole lot more. You can't fix the rear end issues, or the kick start, or get the quad as low a a YFZ..

r450rr
06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
you can adjust the preload and get it lower for the ost of nothing.. i bet you never even road them both cause your opinion sounds like the type that goes to wal-mart and just reads the mags.. dont spoutoff unless you have one or the other..

stiffy
06-11-2004, 02:33 PM
If you check the specs on both ( I think DW had a shoot out earlier this year) the YFZ actually sits like an inch and a half higher stock.

#1speedbump
06-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Sandgod, You could not be more off base with your statement. You can easily adjust the sag heighth of the TRX. I know this because I have one. The rear end is easily fixed in fact there are companies already offering different swingers that address this problem. Slower:rolleyes: it's called rider skill. 6:1 half a dozen to the other. Also Honda does dyno with less power but in every shootout the Mags have done they admit the Honda is just as fast.Hmmmmmmm.If you cant kick it you dont need to be on it. I quess all quads with kickstart only, prior to this were a mistake also. If it sits to high maybe you should go sit on a suzuki,raptor, ds650, or a number of other quads. And as far as the cost, where I live the Trx is nearly 600+ cheaper than the Yamaha. And I get Honda reliability.

Puff Daddy
06-11-2004, 03:09 PM
(please don't be offended when reading my info)

(I'm going to simply tell you all this)

Yfz 450

good & bad:

i like the fact that it is a 5 vavle instead of being 4 and i liked the 39 FCR carb but the seat is real rough on it and sometimes the throttle is real hard and stiff when riding it after a while and the last thing that really sucks on it is it's 439cc displacment which you would have to stroke it to bring out the true 450cc in it...........

TRX 450r

good & bad:
the honda is a 449cc and you would only have to bore it one over to bring out the true 450cc. (the honda has a more comftorable seat than the yfz) the honda also has a bigger carb and better front shocks (to me) the only bad thing about the 450r to me is the lack of only having 4 valves & the rear swingar linkage needs to be changed (which is no big deal to me)

my overall pick would be the honda 450r because eversince i was a kid i've always rode a honda and i just got stuck to it......

(it's probally the same for most of you YFZ owners that yawll always rode a yamaha your whole life or just liked it)
:devil:

sparky450AR
06-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Puff Daddy
(please don't be offended when reading my info)

(I'm going to simply tell you all this)

Yfz 450

good & bad:

i like the fact that it is a 5 vavle instead of being 4 and i liked the 39 FCR carb but the seat is real rough on it and sometimes the throttle is real hard and stiff when riding it after a while and the last thing that really sucks on it is it's 439cc displacment which you would have to stroke it to bring out the true 450cc in it...........

TRX 450r

good & bad:
the honda is a 449cc and you would only have to bore it one over to bring out the true 450cc. (the honda has a more comftorable seat than the yfz) the honda also has a bigger carb and better front shocks (to me) the only bad thing about the 450r to me is the lack of only having 4 valves & the rear swingar linkage needs to be changed (which is no big deal to me)

my overall pick would be the honda 450r because eversince i was a kid i've always rode a honda and i just got stuck to it......

(it's probally the same for most of you YFZ owners that yawll always rode a yamaha your whole life or just liked it)

You people that say its a negative thing thats its not a 449 or 450cc are not thinking. The YFZ is just as fast or faster than the 450R, and its 10 CC less, there is room for improvement to bore it out and make it even faster. Yamaha should have called it a yfz440. I wish the honda was a 440 and as fast as it is now.

The same thing goes for the honda though, you put a higher comp piston, titanium vavles, and a higher quality carb on it, and it may stay up with a yfz that is bored to a 450. It goes both ways. Now if honda were smart they would have made it a 450, with all the other goodies, but honda has a reputation of being reliable, and they stick to it.

jokerman_28
06-11-2004, 06:41 PM
trx450r in red, yfz450 in blue

horsepower/rpm
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/pcc5fa33d2b2349f3e8435f7a6550acb0/f84f91cb.jpg

horsepower/mph
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p503881852c6658619bc7ff85fd14bec6/f84f91c2.jpg

torque/rpm
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/pc6d7679fd04094fe8c88d31e6594e370/f84f91c5.jpg

416rider
06-11-2004, 07:04 PM
:devil: YFZ IS A 439cc and if you bore it out it will go to a 460cc and 450r's bores will go to a 470cc.
:devil: :devil:

jokerman_28
06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
ahm. they already have 470 kits for the yfz450...i'm not sure where you got them numbers

dreth
06-11-2004, 08:08 PM
i dont understand !!!!!! this is a honda site, BUY THE HONDA!!!!if you want it to last. buy the yammi if you want it to be a part of your past. honda rules. honda is the best!! free your mind and forget the rest.

just incase you mess up and buy the yfz remember jesus died for our sins so we could be forgiven and buy a honda.

sparky450AR
06-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by dreth
i dont understand !!!!!! this is a honda site, BUY THE HONDA!!!!if you want it to last. buy the yammi if you want it to be a part of your past. honda rules. honda is the best!! free your mind and forget the rest.

just incase you mess up and buy the yfz remember jesus died for our sins so we could be forgiven and buy a honda.

lmao, the exriders crede!

Hammer trx450r
06-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by dreth

Dreth for president:blah:

416rider
06-12-2004, 09:15 AM
:devil: jokerman_28 show me where yoyu found that because of th yfz's smaller bore most up graded pistons for that only go up to 460cc buddy.

Scottie Mac
06-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Fourstroke Tech has a 470 kit for the YFZ, many GNCC riders are using this kit.

Scott

red2004 TRX450R
06-14-2004, 07:55 AM
My friend just got a new YZF450r limited edition… we road about ½ mile through a field with high grass and all the paint is off the front of his A arms all ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And on the frame where his boot rubbed is gone!!!
This bike has less than 4 hours on it, not evern the first tank of gass!!!!

And his Limited edition paint job is gone!!!!!!!!!!!

He is real happy !!!

SRH
06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
duncan racing has a 485 kit out for the yfz...and...isnt the 450r nikasil? ...u cant bore nikasil................:rolleyes:

SRH
06-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 416rider
:devil: jokerman_28 show me where yoyu found that because of th yfz's smaller bore most up graded pistons for that only go up to 460cc buddy.

oh excuse me i met....495 kit:D

86atc250r
06-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Both have plated cylinders (so does the LTZ for the record).

If you want to bore either the YFZ or 450R you have to have the cylinder replated.

danyeo
06-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
My friend just got a new YZF450r limited edition… we road about ½ mile through a field with high grass and all the paint is off the front of his A arms all ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And on the frame where his boot rubbed is gone!!!

He is real happy !!!

WHat's a YZF450r. SOunds like a Yamonda!

sparky450AR
06-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by danyeo
WHat's a YZF450r. SOunds like a Yamonda!

No it sounds like BS!!!!!!!!!

06-15-2004, 06:11 AM
is getting a cyclinder replated alot of $$$? how do you do this?

red2004 TRX450R
06-15-2004, 07:27 AM
sorry about the yzf450r

by blood is red not blue !!!!

stiffy
06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
lol You guys are soo funny. YFZ sucks, no TRX sucks, no YFZ sucks. hahaha all I know at the local mx race last Friday there was a 300ex that smoked a piped 450R Why is that?? Cause one had money one had skills. :rolleyes:

Scottie Mac
06-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by stiffy
all I know at the local mx race last Friday there was a 300ex that smoked a piped 450R Why is that?? Cause one had money one had skills. :rolleyes:

A truer statement has never been posted on this site. I have seen guys on pimped out 400ex win against just about anything.

Scott

Jonas
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
1. The yfz is an great quad (for Yamaha)

2. Yes, an electric start would be nice on the 450r and so would owning a purse.

3. I love to be the underdog in a race of any kind. It has been fun with my 440ex and it will be fun when I get a 450r.

Scottie Mac
06-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jonas

Yes, an electric start would be nice on the 450r and so would owning a purse.

:huh

sparky450AR
06-15-2004, 12:17 PM
:huh

He's saying its lady like that people whine about kickstarting a quad. Noone will lead me to believe it is a dissadvantage on the race track because 250R and there owners kicked ***, and didnt cry about a kickstart.

Scottie Mac
06-15-2004, 12:24 PM
250Rs were two strokes and rarely stalled. It is MUCH easier to stall a four stroke, thatis the only advantage I see in the electric start vs kickstart war that seems to be going on here.

But, seeing that MOST people don't race, I do see where is is much more convenient to have the magic buttom. Yes, the 450R starts VERY easy, but when you are trail riding and stall on a steep hill or in muddy pit, the ease of an electric start is a benefit, not a weakness. Now, with electric start, you do have more that could fail, batteries, starters, etc, so nothing is perfect.

Yamaha ALMOST got it right, electric start with a kicker backup would be the end all to make everyone happy, but they choose to make it an option you have to pay extra for, which in my eyes sucked. But, at least you have the option.

Scott

86atc250r
06-15-2004, 12:36 PM
WHAT!?!?

Do you have any 2 stroke experience?

Scottie Mac
06-15-2004, 12:44 PM
WHAT!?!?

In my years of experiance, I never had any issues stalling either my 250R or my National 256R. But, I was used to riding a two stroke and clutching. I found it much to easy to stall my 426 powered machine than I ever did either of the 2 strokes. I know what you are thinking, that 4 strokes have so much more torque down low, that you can "lug" them instead of stalling, and I do agree with that. But, seeing that most 4 stroke riders don't ride on the clutch like a 2 stroke guy would, I still say it is easier to stall a 4. May or may not be the machines fault just opinion, sorry.

Also, 2 strokes free rev, were a 4 stroke engine breaks, some more than others. (remember, I am talking in terms of MX only, not trail riding, in my experiance, it is easier to stall a four stroke on the track, maybe I should have specified that)

Scott

XANDADA
06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
WHAT!?!?

:eek:

86atc250r
06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
OK, I can see your point from a typical "4 stroke rider" who's used to riding a tractor perspective :)

Pappy
06-15-2004, 12:57 PM
OK, I can see your point from a typical "4 stroke rider" who's used to riding a tractor perspective :)

damn .....even threw the tractor reference in there.

technically i cant tell you why, but i stall my new 450R and YFZ more then i ever did any 2 stroke i have owned

XANDADA
06-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Also, 2 strokes free rev, were a 4 stroke engine breaks, some more than others.

I don't understand?

Anyways, to add my nickle to mix, on a high performance 4 stroke quad I'd rather see a kick start (as long as it has the hot start feature) and on a recreational quad I'd prefer the lazy button...

stiffy
06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I think it means something similar to my trucks "Jake Brake" (Exhaust Brake) the engine in the four stroke slows itself down when you are not on the throttle.

Pappy
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R

He is real happy !!!

tall grass and weeds act just like sandpaper and will eat paint, powdercoat and chrome finishes.

sparky450AR
06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
250Rs were two strokes and rarely stalled. It is MUCH easier to stall a four stroke, thatis the only advantage I see in the electric start vs kickstart war that seems to be going on here.

But, seeing that MOST people don't race, I do see where is is much more convenient to have the magic buttom. Yes, the 450R starts VERY easy, but when you are trail riding and stall on a steep hill or in muddy pit, the ease of an electric start is a benefit, not a weakness. Now, with electric start, you do have more that could fail, batteries, starters, etc, so nothing is perfect.

Yamaha ALMOST got it right, electric start with a kicker backup would be the end all to make everyone happy, but they choose to make it an option you have to pay extra for, which in my eyes sucked. But, at least you have the option.

Scott

I dunno about stalling 2-stokes being harder than stalling 4-strokes, but this could very well be true. I know you have to ride a 2-stroke the right way screaming it out to keep it going. Used to be you didnt have to do that on the old 4-stroke motors. The new fourstroke motors like to rev, as you know. And if you dont ride and rev it right, it will stall. In my opinion, this is rider error, and there wont be a problem with it when people get used to the new motors....just like people got used to 2 strokes.

Also, if you stall any bike on a steep hill, kickstarter or not...you are in trouble. Same goes for a muddy pit :p .

If you are like most recreational riders, you like e-starts. Its just convenient, and rarely does it fail. But it very well can fail. Me i ride in the woods, and on the track, and i am very weight consience, always have been. So when i saw that the 450R came out with only a kickstart, the first thing i thought was "cool". But if honda would have put an electric start on it, i wouldnt have said dam honda sucks, I wanted a kickstarter. I probably wouldnt have thought anything of it.

Out_Sider
06-16-2004, 10:58 PM
my electric start always fails..i'm glad honda put a kick start only on the 450r..because if they did put electric start....people would be ******ing because it never worked

06-17-2004, 02:20 PM
MY eletric start has never failed on me! I have a used 00 400ex and the eltertic start hasant been replaced or anything like that and it still starts up when i hold the button for under 3 seconds, cold or HOt!:huh :rolleyes2

06-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BrD MaN
MY eletric start has never failed on me! I have a used 00 400ex and the eltertic start hasant been replaced or anything like that and it still starts up when i hold the button for under 3 seconds, cold or HOt!:huh :rolleyes2 cause its a honda! ;) yamaha+electric start=push start

Kennethyfz450
06-18-2004, 03:36 PM
if honda made the yfz everyone would love it..

the 450r is a raptor frame with a 450 motor in it.. lol
its tippy and light front end

the yfz has more pros then cons.. only people that buy a 450r is brand loyal..

WAIT

even brand loyal people buys a yfz

I did:devil:

its the better bike all around.. and honda did mess up again.. and i bet it will go unchanged for years to come..

no wait YOU ALl get bold new graphics yearlr..

:D

jb500ex
06-18-2004, 03:45 PM
unlike all the yfz's my r has finished all my races this year kennethyfz, why do you think alot of the guys are switching. it's like when the raptor came out it was supposedly the best bike but slowly over time everyone realized it wasn't. i'm starting too hear the rumblings already

sparky450AR
06-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
unlike all the yfz's my r has finished all my races this year kennethyfz, why do you think alot of the guys are switching. it's like when the raptor came out it was supposedly the best bike but slowly over time everyone realized it wasn't. i'm starting too hear the rumblings already

I love both bikes, but in the end we will find the truth.:)

ProConcept
06-18-2004, 10:26 PM
I do notice alot of people buying TRXs now.

r450rr
06-18-2004, 11:13 PM
they are alot.. just watch and see kenneth ,, no flamming now but give it about a year or more,, and u will be eating your words... people who turn on honda and think they got something so much better.. always do my friend i have seen it happen so much... its an ego thing .... just wait and see

Kennethyfz450
06-18-2004, 11:18 PM
for 5699.00 you probably would see more 450rs..

honda made the yfz you and bunch others would buy the yfz........

if yamaha had made the R all of you would bash it!

the yfz has the power... its really easy to free up the power.. cam mod baffle out loose the lid and expect to hang with the big boys..

if my yamaha fails like my 300ex and my 400ex i will sure post it.. but the two hondas i had could have been lemons or could have been my fault i leet you judge.

oil coming out of the cylinder on the 300ex.. the shop covered it under warranty i missed my quad when we had 5 inches or snow and everyone else was ridng..

400ex i missed it half of the summer last year it was in the shop for 2 MONTHS!! bearing went out and caused a few problems..
which warranty covered....

my YAMAHA DIRT BIKE 125 all i had to replace sprokets and chain i took my filter out and it was black! i thought it was supposed to be that color so anyhow i dipped it in some cleaning junk and when i pulled it out it turned yellow.. i put it back in without oiling the air filter..? that was 2 years of hardcore ridng!! that was water,mud hills, over reving it just about everything a newbie can do to a bike just plain doggin it.. and now my soon to be cousin in law has it this day and runs like a champ...

my whole family loves honda and they about cracked when i bought that yamaha dirtbike.. and was happy when i bought the honda quads..
i took care of them.. change oil every weekend, get it serviced every other month to check vavles and such.. and they broke..

the yfz is better than the R.. that is why its so touchy on exriders...

439vs 450
i believe yamaha did their homework on this bike... i also believe the 450r frame was for the 650 motor.. but who knows..

yamaha came out to dominate honda came out to play second best
hondas more like a cruiser..

Kennethyfz450
06-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
they are alot.. just watch and see kenneth ,, no flamming now but give it about a year or more,, and u will be eating your words... people who turn on honda and think they got something so much better.. always do my friend i have seen it happen so much... its an ego thing .... just wait and see

I dont know what you are trying to say but if you are telling me my yfz wont last a year you could be right.. but what makes you so sure that your r WILL last another year.. Its not about a ego its about letting opinions fly around the board..

in my eyes yamaha did it right the first time and doesnt need improvements till the suz and kaw come out and could release something better because apparently hondas not going to..

yamaha for some stupid reason redesign the yamaha raptor, to make it lighter and a little more snappy.. I have NOT rode one and not planning to but do you think honda would update the 300ex NO they still have the kick start thingy in the plastic for the 250x.

HONDA MAKES GOOD BIKES!!! im not saying they dont.. their just not as quick as the rest and they seem to depend on the aftermarket to make the 400ex and 450r fast.. but this quad is supposed to be race ready?? how can it be race ready when a z 400 with a pipe can blow the doors off a pipped 400ex. and when a piped cam jetted yfz can blow the doors off the hrc kit from honda that cost around 150 extra around here..

The z 400 has to have the right pipe though i rode a bunch with yoshi and fmf powercore

the best set up i rode on the z powerwise is a e series with powerbomb header those things will jerk hard in 2nd gear.. Has alot of pulling power...

my wish list would be ( if i was looking for a new quad)

1. another yfz white and red
2. pred
3. baja 650
4. gas gas 450
5. gas gas 300
6. honda 450r
7. 700 v force and a honda 400ex

r450rr
06-18-2004, 11:36 PM
and the tails get longer and longer.. (ill go ahead and say what u want and make your day,, yamaha is like a god, they did nothing wrong if god made it himself it couldnt get any better.) why come over to the 450r forum and try to defend it then???? i must ask.. and i have noticed alot of the people that own a yamaha act the same like *******s.!!)

well here we go.. heres a good tail

one time, on my honda fourtrax 300, i jumped the grand canyon going backwards juggling chainsaws that where on fire. with no gas, flat tires, and air filter still wasnt black..

the honda does have less compression and all that but put a 13 tooth and a higher compression piston.. then they will be equal right.. race them like that and then u will notice that 11cc diff..

honda come from the factory detuned... but who keeps them stock..

r450rr
06-18-2004, 11:41 PM
just look at the torqe specs my friend...

i am not saying that yamaha isnt good because it is.. i just think that honda is just as good,, not saying better.. but with all there flaws and all there goods they come out about equal..just timne will tell who will last. and not just one but everytime honda has beat the odds.. doesnt mean they wont change though.. i m out man gotta go to bed going a couple counties away in the morning to ride a little.. but there both good bikes dont think i am trying to say that one is better...

sparky450AR
06-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
for 5699.00 you probably would see more 450rs..

honda made the yfz you and bunch others would buy the yfz........

if yamaha had made the R all of you would bash it!

the yfz has the power... its really easy to free up the power.. cam mod baffle out loose the lid and expect to hang with the big boys..

if my yamaha fails like my 300ex and my 400ex i will sure post it.. but the two hondas i had could have been lemons or could have been my fault i leet you judge.

oil coming out of the cylinder on the 300ex.. the shop covered it under warranty i missed my quad when we had 5 inches or snow and everyone else was ridng..

400ex i missed it half of the summer last year it was in the shop for 2 MONTHS!! bearing went out and caused a few problems..
which warranty covered....

my YAMAHA DIRT BIKE 125 all i had to replace sprokets and chain i took my filter out and it was black! i thought it was supposed to be that color so anyhow i dipped it in some cleaning junk and when i pulled it out it turned yellow.. i put it back in without oiling the air filter..? that was 2 years of hardcore ridng!! that was water,mud hills, over reving it just about everything a newbie can do to a bike just plain doggin it.. and now my soon to be cousin in law has it this day and runs like a champ...

my whole family loves honda and they about cracked when i bought that yamaha dirtbike.. and was happy when i bought the honda quads..
i took care of them.. change oil every weekend, get it serviced every other month to check vavles and such.. and they broke..

the yfz is better than the R.. that is why its so touchy on exriders...

439vs 450
i believe yamaha did their homework on this bike... i also believe the 450r frame was for the 650 motor.. but who knows..

yamaha came out to dominate honda came out to play second best
hondas more like a cruiser..

Its touchy on EXriders because people like you come over here and say that our recent 7 throusand dollar purchase was a huge mistake. Look in any thread and the yamaha owner are the ones starting ****. I could post some pictures right now that would light you yamaha guys on fire with anger.....but im not going to. I think that honda did what was best for the majority of the people that ride atv's....they built an all around quad. Give me one reason why the YFZ is better than the honda, seriously. Unless your talking strictly MX, theres nothing! And with MX its just the seat height thats better. Give me a reason. Honda will sell more quads because it was built for more people, honda is known for that. I doubt 25% of the people that ride, ride on MX tracks. I'm not saying the honda or the yamaha is better....but you did state the the yamaha was better. And i dissagree with that. It all depends on what type of riding the individual is doing.

YFZ PILOT
06-19-2004, 01:36 AM
If the Hoda was built for more people then why does it hace a kick start, I was thinking of getting my wife one, but not with the kickstart,I got her the YFZ.

batgeek
06-19-2004, 02:43 AM
kick starting a 450R is butter :)

ok, from a Z owner that has ridden both, stock and modified.

i like the ergos of the YFZ, i hate the seat.

i like the seat on the 450R, she does sit kinda tall, but i'm used to that from my Z.

the YFZ feels quick and more nimble. 450 feels fast but not quick, steering kinda sluggish, but i like the suspension better than the YFZ.

of course, with $$$ you can turn either quad into the quad you want.

i call it a wash. all depends on what ya like better, red or blue :)

twisted threads
06-19-2004, 05:22 AM

the 450r is a raptor frame with a 450 motor in it.. lol
its tippy and light front end

WAIT

even brand loyal people buys a yfz

I did:devil:

Kenneth have you rode a TRX450r??? There not that tippy not like the Raptor....not even close! And the front end don't feel any lighter than my 250r or 440ex.

By the way if you were brand loyal you wouldn't have got the YFZ...right??:rolleyes:

Im not into the pissing matches but im getting sick of it!!! I never talk bad about the YFZ's or do I go to any Yamaha sites and talk bad about it but there always people talking trash about the TRX450r on here and im getting sick of it. I know that everyone has there owen opinion and thats Cool but after you bash it time after time it gets old. If you TRX450r haters don't like the bike thats fine but speak your facts "if you got them" or go to Bluetrax and please leave the HATER opinions out. Sorry about the flame but im getting sick of it. There are many people on here that have spent $7000 on a great quad and the last thing they want to here is someone telling them they bought a POS.:cool:

twisted threads
06-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by YFZ PILOT
If the Hoda was built for more people then why does it hace a kick start, I was thinking of getting my wife one, but not with the kickstart,I got her the YFZ.

YFZ Pilot I felt the same way you did. So I had my brother bring his 450r over and my wife kicked it a few times and got the hang of it. Now she can kick it over first kick no problem at all and she will be getting one very soon.:cool:

Kennethyfz450
06-19-2004, 07:49 AM
i been a member here for over 3 years when leo was around why would i have to leave now just because i threw in my .02 cents?

yes i rode a 450r how do you think i gave my comparison... Yes i am a honda guy and IF they would have done a better job i would have got a honda.. i was lucky though i waited around got to ride a few and I thought the yfz was best for me.. i believe i did ask alot of questions on here i am not for sure i dont remember..

the 450r is a good bike but when compared to a yfz or a 400ex in that matter it feels tippy.. and that front end will come up if you dont watch it.

as where i can get on my yfz and just nail the throttle and expect to go in a straight line..:D

my bike could fail any moment .. BUT i push my bike every time i am on it.. i get close to the limter every time i take off.. i do not baby it by no means.. I have fun on it.
bluetraxx is a great site for jetting information but other than that i dont visit to much just here, and yfzcentral/yfzhq,
yfzracing sometimes

i am sorry that you didnt agree with my opinion.
i am sorry that you bought a honda just because it was a honda.

OH ANOTHER THING that peed me off is when i was trying to sale my 400ex.. a few years ago i got 3700 for my 300 TRADE IN..
i get the 400ex ride it about two years and by god i couldnt even get 3600.00 out of it.. i finally sold it for 3,400 .. In the news paper z 400 was selling for 4500.00??? whats the deal.. HONDA value has gone down in my opinion i figured it wouldnt be hard getting rid of a 400ex but apparently it was.. :huh

PEPwalshZ440
06-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I feel that the TRX450R is the best machine. I rode both the YFZ and the TRX and I felt the honda was better. Although both of the quads I rode were both all modded for motocross. I felt that the hondas power is more controllable making it easier to use and the ridability is easier. Also, with the LT arms, LT shocks, and the front douglas shamrocks I have on my 450r, the front end does not lift up at all and I don't even have a swingarm. Although the TRX is kickstart, I have no problem, i am 6'1" and weigh 185lbs. Once both modded for MX I feel that the 450r is DEFINETLY the machine to be on. Allthough I admit, if you are going to just have basic mods like tires and exhaust and handlebars and nerfs, definetly go with the YFZ.

jb500ex
06-19-2004, 10:35 AM
i race with two other people, combined they did 7 races this year and they 5 dnf's because of mechanical problems and broken parts 2electrical problems, one broken shift fork problem, and a broken a-arm

jb500ex
06-19-2004, 10:36 AM
i forgot another trans problem were he broke a gear

Kennethyfz450
06-19-2004, 11:12 AM
I feel that the TRX450R is the best machine. I rode both the YFZ and the TRX and I felt the honda was better. Although both of the quads I rode were both all modded for motocross. I felt that the hondas power is more controllable making it easier to use and the ridability is easier. Also, with the LT arms, LT shocks, and the front douglas shamrocks I have on my 450r, the front end does not lift up at all and I don't even have a swingarm. Although the TRX is kickstart, I have no problem, i am 6'1" and weigh 185lbs. Once both modded for MX I feel that the 450r is DEFINETLY the machine to be on. Allthough I admit, if you are going to just have basic mods like tires and exhaust and handlebars and nerfs, definetly go with the YFZ.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i rode a honda with all the goodies i also loved it but i would never spend that kind of money on one.. i never rode a tricked out yfz so i dont know..

sparky450AR
06-19-2004, 08:28 PM

i am sorry that you bought a honda just because it was a honda.

HAHA, the only reason i didnt buy a YFZ is because i dont like two strokes. And youve aways got to be on those YFZ motors, to keep em' going. This is really a negative thing for me. The ONLY reason i didnt buy the yamaha was because of its powerplant. And that is the only negative thing you will ever hear me say about the Yamaha.

Scottie Mac
06-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
Once both modded for MX I feel that the 450r is DEFINETLY the machine to be on.

If you are talking for MX, and you are entitled to your opinion, I think you have lost your mind. No offence, but a modded YFZ handles as good as a Leager framed machine, and as nice as the TRX is, it doesn't.

Even when you add the LT arms, shocks, etc, the TRX is still has a taller seat height because of the height of the TRX motor. Also, as nice as the TRX motor is, especially when set up right, the rear end sucks, period. In my eyes, if Honda would have built the TRX with the CR500 linkage, it would be an equal to the YFZ track wise. But the Pro link, is 80s technology and has no place on a 2004 quad. Eventually the aftermarket will improve on the linkage set up, Walsh in particular, but you will still be left with a shorter shock set up on the rear and limited travel.

Farr has been experimenting left and right trying to get his TRX to handle right on the track. +1 arms, -1 arms, different links, different length swingers, etc. Where the YFZ riders are adding arms, shocks and swingarms and going racing.

Power wise, I think it is very close. Put enough money money into either and you will have more power than you ever need.

I agree with SParky (oh my, it is going to snow) I believe the TRX is more suited for the masses, where the YFZ is directed to the more track oriented riders.

Scott

JWhite
06-19-2004, 08:41 PM
HAHA, the only reason i didnt buy a YFZ is because i dont like two strokes. And youve aways got to be on those YFZ motors, to keep em' going. This is really a negative thing for me. The ONLY reason i didnt buy the yamaha was because of its powerplant. And that is the only negative thing you will ever hear me say about the Yamaha.

That is the EXACT reason we sold our YFZ's. That and the ergos. We got 2 TRX's the day after we rode one. Then we sold our YFZ's. My brother's YFZ sat for 2 months before it was sold.

No regrets.

86atc250r
06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Scotty --

You seem like a pretty sharp guy.

What I want to know is why YFZ owners, even yourself like to exaggerate differences in these two quads.

Engine heights -- almost exactly the same, no significant difference.

Both these engines come from MX bikes where competition is fierce. Engine weights (minus e-starter hardware) is almost the same as well as overall engine dimensions.

Seat height - If you measure the distance between the bottom of the lower frame rails and the seat - they're almost identical --- so for a given setup, there is no real significant difference in the two as far as seat height goes.

In fact, here is a pic that somewhat illustrates the lack of a significant seat height difference in the two:
http://www.xcracing.com/gabe/trx_yfz_rear.jpg

Scottie Mac
06-20-2004, 07:38 AM
86-

Go look at the top frame rail of the 450R, it goes up at about a 30 degree angle because the crf/trx motor is about 2 inches taller than the yz/YFZ motor. Now, look at the top frame rail of the YFZ, it is almost straight across. This two inches make a major difference in the "feel" of the two machines. Also, when sitting side by side, they are nearly identical in terms of height, BUT, the YFZs rear shock sags much more when you sit on the quad, why? Because the TRX shock stiffens up extremely fast, that is why the Honda has been known to "buck" when doing quick bumps or whoops. Yes, it is only an inch, inch and a half, but when you are talking MX, that is a major difference. For everyday, average trail riding, I don't think one is any better than the other. But, for MX, it is a huge difference. My responce was to the statement concerning MX, nothing more. Getting a quad to be "low in the turn" is a key to reducing lap times.

I don't think the TRX is "tippy" as some people on here complain, to me it feels like a Z. I have always thought the Z was the most comfortable quad ever made, so that is a compliment. But when comparing the two in an MX arena, the YFZ sits lower and feels lower. What makes it good for the MX course, probably turns some people away in terms of trail riding. NO QUAD IS PERFECT.

Scott

sparky450AR
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
86-

Go look at the top frame rail of the 450R, it goes up at about a 30 degree angle because the crf/trx motor is about 2 inches taller than the yz/YFZ motor. Now, look at the top frame rail of the YFZ, it is almost straight across. This two inches make a major difference in the "feel" of the two machines. Also, when sitting side by side, they are nearly identical in terms of height, BUT, the YFZs rear shock sags much more when you sit on the quad, why? Because the TRX shock stiffens up extremely fast, that is why the Honda has been known to "buck" when doing quick bumps or whoops. Yes, it is only an inch, inch and a half, but when you are talking MX, that is a major difference. For everyday, average trail riding, I don't think one is any better than the other. But, for MX, it is a huge difference. My responce was to the statement concerning MX, nothing more. Getting a quad to be "low in the turn" is a key to reducing lap times.

I don't think the TRX is "tippy" as some people on here complain, to me it feels like a Z. I have always thought the Z was the most comfortable quad ever made, so that is a compliment. But when comparing the two in an MX arena, the YFZ sits lower and feels lower. What makes it good for the MX course, probably turns some people away in terms of trail riding. NO QUAD IS PERFECT.

Scott

The only reason the hondas top frame rail goes up at an angle, is because it started lower in the back, than the yamahas. And as ATC86 said, the engine deminsion are almost identical. These upper frame rails having nothing to do with deminsions of the engine, or how they are compared mounting wise.

These pictures prove that the hondas top frame rail starts lower, so it must go up.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid122/pda8ecca2bad3e1c39ffa9ee9e41afcd8/f8314d41.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid122/pabd033411c763115fda1743e3fefdf67/f8315131.jpg

The YFZ's frame rail in the rear goes all the way up behind the plastic. The honda's fallow's the plastic line. A bigger picture would show this even better.

Also some poeple dont realize that the reason the seat height is slightly higher is because of the padding in the "seat". To make up for this, honda made the 450R and extra inch wider than the yfz. And it also holds a half gallon more gas. Just thought i would point some stuff out.:)

BTW that LE yfz looks sharp!

Scottie Mac
06-20-2004, 08:02 PM

I think it looks like a bumble bee on steroids gone bad.

Scott

sparky450AR
06-20-2004, 09:28 PM
I think it looks like a bumble bee on steroids gone bad.

Scott

lmao....see i thought it looked pretty good. I dont like the black 450R though.

Scottie Mac
06-21-2004, 07:42 AM
lmao....see i thought it looked pretty good. I dont like the black 450R though.

Its not that I think it is ugly, it is just a bit to busy for me. I like the Black 450R, I just don't think the plastics will look good after a couple of months riding time. A buddy of mine had a sweet 400ex with black full bore, but after a season of MX, it looked grey in areas from all the scrathces. I wish Honda would make a retro quad, red, white and blue.

Scott

sparky450AR
06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Its not that I think it is ugly, it is just a bit to busy for me. I like the Black 450R, I just don't think the plastics will look good after a couple of months riding time. A buddy of mine had a sweet 400ex with black full bore, but after a season of MX, it looked grey in areas from all the scrathces. I wish Honda would make a retro quad, red, white and blue.

Scott

Me too! The retro looking suzuki looks awesome.

I use a product called back to black on my plsatics....even the red...and this stuff is unbelivable. It fills in the scratches and looks brand new. Soon i will do a before after thread on this product. It also protects the plastic and makes it a lot easier to clean. If it is very dusty dust will stick to it, thats the only downfall.

Scottie Mac
06-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Where do you get this "Back to Black" product? I have used the plastic renew before, but it is a pain in the arse to do. I guess ruff plastic is just something we have to learn to live with.

Scott

sparky450AR
06-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Where do you get this "Back to Black" product? I have used the plastic renew before, but it is a pain in the arse to do. I guess ruff plastic is just something we have to learn to live with.

Scott

I think I got it at meijer or somewhere like that. I'm sure that have it at any auto parts store. When you first put it on it doesnt look very good, but by the time you have done the whole quad, it smoothes itself out or something. It really makes the plastic look like it has a brand new shine.

Ill go do the quad and take pics now.

sparky450AR
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Scottie,

I'm sorry, the product is acutally called "black chrome" I better get my **** straight:p .

Here's the thread.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112362

Scottie Mac
06-22-2004, 09:13 PM
I might have to try some of that, my plastics are lookin a little worse for wear after 8 months of MX.

Scott

JWhite
06-23-2004, 05:38 AM
As long as you guys are talking about it....

I am thinking about trying some of that new Krylon Fusion....not on my plastics....but on some other outdoor stuff to see how it works.

The first no-sand, no prep, superbond spray paint for plastic! It creates a professional finish that won't chip, peel, or fade......click here (http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&productid=1751&content=product_details)

Woody_YFZ
06-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Also some poeple dont realize that the reason the seat height is slightly higher is because of the padding in the "seat". To make up for this, honda made the 450R and extra inch wider than the yfz. And it also holds a half gallon more gas. Just thought i would point some stuff out.:)

The Honda is .2 inches wider, not an inch.

YFZ = 46.1"
TRX = 46.3"

I am selling my TRX and keeping my YFZ as I ride mostly mx and dunes. I like the way the YFZ steers in the dunes better and the suspension is much better on the YFZ for mx. Both excellent quads though. Call me a wuss, but the kick starting is for the birds.

sparky450AR
06-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
The Honda is .2 inches wider, not an inch.

YFZ = 46.1"
TRX = 46.3"

I am selling my TRX and keeping my YFZ as I ride mostly mx and dunes. I like the way the YFZ steers in the dunes better and the suspension is much better on the YFZ for mx. Both excellent quads though. Call me a wuss, but the kick starting is for the birds.

I stand corrected. You know before I made that post, I checked both manufacturers sites and I could of swore they said the TRX was an inch wider. but i checked again, and you are right!

If I were duning and mxing all the time. I would've also gotten a YFZ, because its powerband is top notch for those types of riding.

PEPwalshZ440
06-24-2004, 09:51 AM
This is a never ending battle, just pick your color plastics and be done

sparky450AR
06-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JWhite
As long as you guys are talking about it....

I am thinking about trying some of that new Krylon Fusion....not on my plastics....but on some other outdoor stuff to see how it works.

The first no-sand, no prep, superbond spray paint for plastic! It creates a professional finish that won't chip, peel, or fade......click here (http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&productid=1751&content=product_details)

I saw a commercial for this stuff. I dunno it may work. But I have clearcoated my quad with premium krylon before, the thing looked shinier than a new car! On the bottle it said it was ok for plastics, but after about 3 rides the **** was flaking off, and we all basically wasted a set of plastic. Never more!

RellrazoR
06-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Alot of good info in this thread. I was also wondering myself which Quad between the 2 to pickup and Ive made up my mind and going with a 450R. Thanks guys!

TRX450R2
06-26-2004, 04:15 PM
THE lazy button is quite handy at times!:)

TRX450R2
06-26-2004, 04:21 PM
But I will stick with my R cos IMO it is better for the all round riding I do! MOTOX, Xcountry, Hillclimbs, Speedway and fun!:) :cool: