PDA

View Full Version : freinds raptor wont start

quadingdude23
06-08-2004, 05:44 PM
today me and my freind were ready to go ridin and his raptor started up fine and ran for a few minutes but then died. it was sitting for a while so we thought it was the gas.We drained the old gas put in new, cleaned and checked spark plug for spark and changed the oil. It turns over but doesnt start. What is wrong?

phireboi
06-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Was it smoking bad before or is it due for a top end rebuild? My 400ex did the same thing because it lost all compression.

quadingdude23
06-08-2004, 08:20 PM
no it just shut off and wouldnt start again
we dont know whats wrong with it

hondarider2006
06-09-2004, 12:02 AM
A friend of mine washed his raptor, and let it sit for a couple of days. That is when it started acting up. It would start, but as soon as you gave it gas, it would start to stutter. Finaly it quit running. We checked for spark and nothing. Ended up the CDI unit went out. We check all the wires, and made sure everything was connected. Do that, and also check for spark. If you can get the compression checked, also do that.

quadingdude23
06-09-2004, 08:14 PM
we called the local dealer and they said that it could be the needle stuck in the float bowl.So me and my freind ripped it appart but dont know what the needle(s) are soposta be like?anyuone got any suggestions?

04'400ex'er
06-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by quadingdude23
we called the local dealer and they said that it could be the needle stuck in the float bowl.So me and my freind ripped it appart but dont know what the needle(s) are soposta be like?anyuone got any suggestions? My suggestion would be, If you don't know enough to know what the needle looks like, take the bike to the dealer.You can really mess stough up. My opinion is, That your pilot jet and others are probably clogged.For the needle to be stuck, It seems to me the carb woulc have to be full of gas and sitting for a while for the needle to varnish up in the little hole. Correct me if I'm wrong. Oh yea, Which Carb did you "rip apart"?:rolleyes:

quadingdude23
06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
both.

SandDuner
06-10-2004, 03:02 PM
My moms raptor did that and then it started it is probaly a loose connection for the starter check that or take it to the dealer and tell them it wont start. :D

khen
06-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I've had the inlet needle stick before when fuel was sitting in the carb/bowl to long. If you turn off the fuel and carefully remove the float bowl and no fuel spews out this could be the case.

The needle is aluminum and is hex shaped with a tapered tip made of rubber, kind of looks like a little tiny pencil. It sits in some sort of fork on the pivot side of the float. This is a delicate adjustment so you have to be carful not to bend the metal forks that the needle sits in(if they are metal on the Raptor) or your float bowl will not be filled to the correct level.

I would check for spark first thing and if you have a strong spark I would clean or have the carbs cleaned.