PDA

View Full Version : 400 brake pads

400ex99
08-26-2001, 09:53 PM
i just bought a 99 400ex, im fixing to change out the rear brake pads for now, to save me time, whats the easiest way to do this job?:confused::confused:

400ex Magnum
08-27-2001, 08:18 AM
This is one of the easiest brake jobs that you can do.

First, on the right side of the caliber, there is a retaining clip around the two pin bolts. Bend the clips out and loosen the bolts. Then, remove the caliber mounting bolts and remove the caliber. Remove the pin bolts on the right side of the caliber and the pads will fall out in your hand. Clean and inspect the caliber and reinstall the new pads. You may have to back the parking brake adjustment bolt out and push the piston in to get the new pads in. Once the pads are in and the bolt pins are back in, reinstall the caliber on the machine. Tighten the pin bolts and bend the clips back (replace if necessary). Adjust the parking brake bolt to where it works to your desired setting. Hope this helps.

4punksdad
08-27-2001, 05:07 PM
you have been instructed well so far. let me add to it.

loosen the 2 bolts that hold the pads in place before removing the caliper from the rotor (easier to hold this way)

remove the parking brake cable & the arm that the parking brake cable hooks to............then loosen the hex bolt that the arm was fitted over..........careful, this thing has very wide threads & doesn't need to be loosened much.

use a "C" clamp or a pair of channel lock pliers to squeeze the piston back in ALL of the way (don't forget to remove the cover on the brake reservior first)

There is a small round spacer which goes on your piston behind the inside pad, it will most likely fall out with the pads.......don't lose it!

when you are all done, leave your parking brake bolt WAY loose so that it will not cause any drag on your pads.........then put the arm & cable back on just for looks :)

MOFO
08-27-2001, 09:22 PM
I have to add my $0.02 to this :)

When you put the pads in the caliper, make sure the spacer that is between the piston and the pad is on there good and not half on. I did this once and my one pad was wore out after one ride. The pad was not sitting flat against the rotor because that little spacer between the pad and the piston was not seated properly (also had some gunk behind it). Just make sure its seated good and does not move...

Just take your time. When I screwed it up, i was racing to get the pads changed before a big ride we had planned for the day.

Eric