PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

Hotdog
06-08-2004, 10:19 AM
I put dot 3 fluid in my brakes and i cant seem to get them bleeded very well. Is there that much differene between dot 3 and dot 4?

300exOH
06-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I believe the only real difference is that the dot4 can take a little more heat than dot3. I've been told dot3 is okay but I still use dot4 to be safe. I figure brakes aren't something I want to gamble on. You should be okay though. The brakes on quads tend to be hard to bleed. You may want to try a power bleeder from an auto parts store. I think I only paid around $20 for mine and it worked great.

06-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Only difference is the dot 4 can with stand heat better than the 3.

did you add fluid or completely drain the rezzy and refill it?? Also is it for the front or back..

Hotdog
06-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I put new brake lines on. And them just seem to be soft all the time. I keep trying to bleed them but they dont get any stiffer.

06-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Hotdog
I put new brake lines on. And them just seem to be soft all the time. I keep trying to bleed them but they dont get any stiffer.

You'll pump the front brake for years before it works properly. YOu have to suck the fluid down to the calipers for the fronts to work...:cool: The back was fine but the fronts were a pain in the arse when i replaced my lines.

bigbadbrad
06-08-2004, 05:09 PM
if you put new lines on, you might as well make sure everything is completly drained, and put in dot5 brake fluid, it will not eat up paint like 3+4 and it will not absorb moisture or water like 3+4 do.