PDA

View Full Version : Is the Fiddy Worth Gettin Rid of the Big Boy?

Fast250EX
06-07-2004, 08:51 PM
I saw a video of some mod fiddies and was VERY impressed at the sheer power of what was a kiddy ride. I am thinking about selling my EX and using the money for a slightly modded fiddy (maybe with bars and tires) and then use the rest of the money to beef the motor up and make the suspension. I really wanna build a big wooden ramp to hit and get some big air. I love riden by full sized ATV and stuff but there is a lot of times I wanna take it with me and it is just too much trouble to hook up the trailer and I just wanna throw the thing in the cab. With a fiddy I could do that. Besides, I would get far more props from a decked out 50 than a slightly modded 250EX.

The only problem I have with this, is I dont wanna sell my loved big bike if this 50 isn't fun. I am afraid that I will sell my EX and then not like the XR. I wanna mod it a lot (money will be there left over from the EX) but keep reliability good (such as keep the stock airbox, because I still like mud). This wouldn't be a racer though, just a fast, high jumping, portable toy.

You think I would like the fiddy? I just about go nuts everytime I see one cause they just seem so awesome, but I have never rode one. I've rode crappy minibikes before and even liked them a lot.

quadracer511
06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
ull love the fiddy i got a 250 ex and a fiddy both alotta fun but i think ull be happy either way

hessianmx111
06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
fittys arent cheap in the long run buy a klx110 and you got more room more power and less price

Out_Sider
06-07-2004, 09:11 PM
wtf? you're talking about selling your quad, for a 50? sounds idiotic to me, but if you think you'll like it more than your quad, then do it...:confused:

Fast250EX
06-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, I wasn't just gonna sell my quad for a fiddy. Was gonna sell it, get a fiddy, pimp it out a little bit and do 1 of 2 things with the rest of the cash. Either set back some money for my truck or...

...what I would really like to do is buy a Recon (their are very cheap now) and still have a full sized quad to ride around on with buds and stuff.

And if i did get a fiddy, another friend would get one too so I wouldn't be the only one with a fiddy.

I dont want anything bigger than the XR50 because I wanna have something I can just pitch in the backseat and go. I could probably even load it on the recon's racks and have it with me out on the trails if needed. Just some ideas.

Out_Sider brought out the point that bothers me. While I hear great things about fiddies, since i have never actually ridden one, it feels kinda stupid for me to sell my quad for a fiddy.

I still wanna hear opinions on how people like their fiddies. I want something to mess around on and that would not take an act of congress to get it where I want it.

hessianmx111
06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
klx is roughly same size as a fitty

Quadworks
06-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Forget the KLX! If you are going to get a 50 make it a Honda!! There are tons and tons of aftermarket stuff out there for them. New stuff is getting made everyday. My wife has a XR50 she loves it. She puts it in the back of her Jeep and takes it with her. Have you seen the supercharger setup for the Honda 50 yet? It looked pretty trick just don't remember where I saw it though. Try finding billet parts for a KLX? You won't. If I were you I would try to figure out some way to get a 50 and a quad. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

Fast250EX
06-08-2004, 10:37 AM
As for right now, I have to put my EX out for sell. I plan on getting a fiddy and a quad but first I would get the fiddy and if I really like it all that much, I may not get a quad, but with my uncle having just bought a new rancher, I doubt I will settle for just the fiddy. But man, I can just see so many places I wanna take the fiddy. I could hit the slide at the park, lol.

About how long does a tank of gas last in a fiddy? If it is really good on gas, I might just run 93 or even 110 octane in it all the time. I really love the black xr's so thats how I would like to dress mine up as.

I dont know if I can do this, though. My parents go nuts anytime I even think about spending my own money so trying to get permission to sell it would be hard. I still wanna hear opinions though. I'll talk to a bud of mine and see if I can get him to try and swing to get a 50. He has a KX80 he is wanting to get rid of so maybe when he does that, he might get a fiddy.

Thanks for the help, and I'll just see what I can do on the fiddy. I want one but sometimes other things are against me.:rolleyes:

Fast250EX
06-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh, and quadworks. Whats the wifey ride more, the XR or the 250EX? That could be a deciding factor as well.

Quadworks
06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
For the gas milage a take runs forreevveerr!! As for which one my wife rides more. Its definatly the 50!!

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/333/DSC01023.jpg

hessianmx111
06-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Quadworks
Forget the KLX! If you are going to get a 50 make it a Honda!! There are tons and tons of aftermarket stuff out there for them. New stuff is getting made everyday. My wife has a XR50 she loves it. She puts it in the back of her Jeep and takes it with her. Have you seen the supercharger setup for the Honda 50 yet? It looked pretty trick just don't remember where I saw it though. Try finding billet parts for a KLX? You won't. If I were you I would try to figure out some way to get a 50 and a quad. Then you will have the best of both worlds.
dont get me wrong i like fittys but if your wanting to mod it out its gonna get expensive, ive seen your wifes fitty it looks great im a big fan of the sano graphics, while there may not be as many aftermarket parts out right now for the klx they are starting to make new parts and improvements for them, i just think the klx is the better way to go just my opinion

Fast250EX
06-08-2004, 11:17 AM
That 50 looks awesome. I love the graphics and color scheme.

I have another question. How are the Xtreme Pit Pro 107's? I saw one on ebay with a pipe on it and the guy said it goes about 55. What caught my attention was the HUGE front disc. Its about 198mm I believe. That thing wouldn't need much modding but I just wonder about reliability and I dont want the air filter exposed like that, I want an airbox.

Tommy 17
06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
i had a 50 and heres my experience with it...

#1 it was no fun to ride unless u were with alot of people that have them...

#2 it wasn't any fun to ride even when i was with alot of people bc the smallest motor there was a 88 kit... long travel 70 forks... long travel rear ends etc...

to go and even try to keep up... or even do half the stuff everyone else was doin i had to sink atleast 2,000$ into my bike... it got old really fast and boring and i said screw it and sold it...

moral of the story... yes they are fun but only if you have ALL the parts... and if you have alot of people to ride with...

Fast250EX
06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Thank you Tommy, I was hoping you would make your way to this thread. I remembered how much you loved your fiddy before. Then I looked in your sig and noticed you didn't have it anymore.

I have decided to give up on the idea, I always think it would be nice, but then I look at all the part possibilities and then realize how overwhelming it is. I find it kinda dumb now to buy something and have to change everything about it to like it. Its a machine with potential but just not right for me. Heck, I have found myself over at Highlifter's site a lot more lately and kinda wanna get a Recon. I ride mud and trails more than anything on my EX now, lol.

Well, anyway, thanks for the opinions, it has been... educational, to say the least.;)

RH1N08d9
06-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm getting a 50 soon. I have an empty lot just up the street from me, and we made some good size jumps. I plan on keeping my 50 stock for a while. maybe you should still think about getting a 50 and a recon! I had a blast jumping on my little sisters xr80 that we just sold to get a 50, so it should be fun!

Mxjunkie
06-08-2004, 12:28 PM
imo, i think the 250ex is better then the 50, 50s are fun and everything but i dunni id rather have a bigger bike

Bobbs07
06-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Fast250EX
..what I would really like to do is buy a Recon (their are very cheap now) and still have a full sized quad to ride around on with buds and stuff.

so you want a recon so you can right around with Buds?:bandit:

haha, jp:p ;) :D

ReconRider25
06-08-2004, 01:24 PM
in ur sig it says you have two quads, so whats the big deal with selling one of them since youll still have the other one to ride?:huh

SRH
06-08-2004, 04:09 PM
ok ive been riding 50s for 3 years now, here are some myths

1, you need mods....no not unless your going to races and most big races have a stock class...

2, there a 50 how could they be more fun than a quad....well they are... if..you have a mx background or bmx background you will realize it instantly, if your a trail rider it will seem boring ...

3 there expensive.....nooooooooooooooooo you can get a 88 kit for 400 bucks t hats with a carb, a whole jug and head and everything all your gaskets, a cam...all new stuff, i mean...thats just cheap fun, and if u just like riidng stock new stock parts are for the most part dirt cheap

and if you were just planning on going racing with one get an sdg 50 for 2200 all ready to go with a 110 manual clutch ,hydralic brakes and everything..., but if your gonan play ride and ride bmx trails id just get bars, springs and a rear i shock and your set...

i actually had a xr 50 ended up selling it and just got a z 50, somehwere in the 1990s, its got a xr 50 motor, but beefier chassis, wider seat, stiffer suspension and stuff, way better for a bigger guy, right now im doing a bunch of stuff to it, the xr are still strong tho i never had any problems with mine besides bent subframe region

sometimes if i have nothing to do ill go burn up like 50 laps on are practice track by myself, its good for getting in shape and stuff for racing, and its fun, but youd really have to have one yourself to see if u like riding alone, if i was you id say go for the 50 but then again i dunno what kinda rider you are

RH1N08d9
06-08-2004, 10:06 PM
are the z50's really stronger than the xrs? I am in the market for one right now!

Fast250EX
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
I dont think I really want to get rid of my quad for the fiddy. I really love trail riding and stuff so I dont wanna give up that.

Oh, and the other quad in my sig is technically my dads, even though I am the one that cleans it up and I ride it more and I do all the work to it. About the only thing making it his is that he bought it and he rides with me at Turkey Bay.

Maybe later on I might get a fiddy, when I can afford to get one without selling my quad. But for now, I cant really do it.