PDA

View Full Version : IDEA: Intercooler

Evan
03-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Maybe this is a wild idea but certainly no wilder than some that I have seen on this site. Would it be possible(anything is possible)to put an intercooler on a 400EX, if so why hasnt the aftermarket already made them.

Moto92
03-24-2002, 12:49 AM
An intercooler :huh
Intercoolers are for turbos. If your thinking of a bigger oil cooler Four Stroke Tech already makes on that splices into the factory lines and mounts on the front of the frame.

honda400exrider
03-24-2002, 02:39 PM
some quy put on, i think a turbocharger, but he worked for a turbocharger company. anyway it'd be REEEEEEEALLY expenseve:eek:

400exRacerX
03-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Yeah dude intercoolers are for turbo chargers.

Guy400
03-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Intercoolers are used on turbo cars because the dynamics of a turbo the intake charge gets heated. The intercooler just cools that air back down. You'd have no real benefit from an intercooler on a non-turbo application.

Honda Guy
03-24-2002, 04:05 PM
I heard some company is now making a TURBO of the 400EX now I have seen the kit for the raptor.

Extremely expencive though.

big-guy
03-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Nitrous Oxide would be easier and cheaper.

I have seen plans for an intercooled air compressor though...

Evan
03-24-2002, 07:19 PM
I thought they had intercoolers on the new vettes and stuff, maybe Im wrong.

BUT if it cools the air, you cant tell me that cooler air doesnt make it run better, remember cooler is always better. There is sure to be a benifit from something like this, whether it is worth it or not is unknown.

Guy400
03-24-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
I thought they had intercoolers on the new vettes and stuff, maybe Im wrong.

BUT if it cools the air, you cant tell me that cooler air doesnt make it run better, remember cooler is always better. There is sure to be a benifit from something like this, whether it is worth it or not is unknown. The new Vettes don't have intercoolers. Also, intercoolers cool air that's already been warmed by either a turbo or belt driven supercharger. Intercoolers won't cool the air anymore than the ambient air temperature the motor is already ingesting. An intercooler in just like a radiator, air passes through the small fins and cools the warmer air inside. You couldn't cool 70 degree intake air by blowing 70 degree outside air over it. You'd also have to place the intercooler where air would be pulled through it (i.e. somewhere in the front of the bike). This would mean additional plumbing of air intake tubes and when this is done intake velocity is slowed down. Ask any turbo guy, when we upgrade to bigger intercoolers we lose intake velocity but our gains are offset by the bigger intercooler lowering the temperature of the intake charge.

03-24-2002, 10:11 PM
DON'T LET THEM CHANGE YOUR MIND. YOU CAN DO IT. SHOW THEM WHO'S RIGHT.

03-24-2002, 10:11 PM
DON'T LET THEM CHANGE YOUR MIND. YOU CAN DO IT. SHOW THEM WHO'S RIGHT. JUST JOKING...YOU COULD RUN THE SNORKAL UP FRONT AND CREATE A RAM AIR EFFECT.

oynot400
03-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Running cooler air will make a difference. I noticed this while raceing last year. Once the sun went down and it started to cool off the engine ran better, I had more power coming out the corners.
Here is a thought, why not put in some dry ice in the air box or a zip lock bag of ice. This should do about the same effect as an intercooler. It would be a cheap why to check it out.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Yall sure think up some crazy chit!!!!

400exdad
03-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Dang.... here we wuz just uh thinkin' them utility quads with coolers on da front was fur beer. Them be innercoolers!!!!:D :D :D

Just playing around. It never hurts to think "outside the box". It's how Al Gore invented the internet you know.:p

Deathbringer
03-25-2002, 12:07 PM
In theory if you could cool the air before the air filter so its cooler going into the engine.. yes you should get better performance. HOW..to do this is going to be the hard question to answer. I think it would be a cool project to come up with a box of some sorts that would go inside the airbox that you could put dry ice into to cool the air..or something along those lines... anyway I think it would be fun to try.

oynot400
03-25-2002, 01:14 PM
I would think that if you ran a closed airbox lid and some how had the ice to stay in place so the air would pass over the ice before it went into the filter. I don't know if you could cool the air fast enough on a hot summers day on the race track. It would be worth a try.

Deathbringer
03-25-2002, 01:51 PM
I think a good test just to see how much air temp effects the hp would be to dyno the bike at 100degrees -vs- 60 degrees and see if there is really that much difference.

Guy400
03-25-2002, 03:31 PM
I was reading an article on an LT1 Z28 that was up on a dyno. They were doing the actual dyno pull in a service bay and the door was open about halfway. They said as the pull was being done a gust of cold air blew in the garage door and they watched the HP jump nearly 10hp almost instantly and then settle back down. Now, that was 10hp on a 300hp motor (about 3% gain). If you take that 3% and apply it to the 400EX you're only gaining about .84hp.

Matt Fisher
03-25-2002, 07:37 PM
The LT1 (and most any other computerized fuel injected engine) has an air temp sensor. When it sees cooler, more dense air, it adds more fuel- wala' more power. Although cooler air will make more power than warm air on our bikes, it will not have a real dramatic effect- unless the bike is too rich to begin with. Then cooler air could result in the "prefect" ratio. In theory.

The LS1 Camaros have such a well-developed system that the NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) kit does not have any enrichment device (first vehicle to to so that I'm aware of). The temp sensor and O2 sensors are so sensitive, that the computer adds fuel automatically- very cool.

Using a device as an intercooler in between the carb and motor "might" result in more power at peak rpm. At lower rpm levels, it would run like poo. The intercooler would probably cause the fuel to drop out of suspension, coating the walls with raw fuel. Very bad.