View Full Version : rusting frame?

ReconRider25
06-07-2004, 02:11 PM
do all the 400ex's on their frames the paint chip/flake off and the frame rusts real easily and quickly? cuz i bought my quad brand new in november and i dont ride through alot of mud and water but the paint is chippin off like crazy and its rusting at welds and stuff alot. my recon never had paint flake off and the frame rust this bad in the close to 2 years i had it. is this normal for the 400ex's or is it just mine? i keep it real clean and stuff so i dont get it. at this rate ill have to do a winter rebuild and i def dont have the money for that nor i dont think my dad would let me.:confused:

maxamillion
06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
i bought my 400ex used and it was rusted pretty bad. But it had been spray painted and stored outside with a small roof over it so that could be why. If i were u id tear it down and get it powder coated. why your at get it reinforced. Thats what im doin anyways.

hondarider2006
06-07-2004, 07:18 PM
get it powder coated.

redroost85
06-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes, some 400's seem to get to rusting faster than others...why, I don't know. Just keep WD-40ing everything.

Best suggestion is just to strip'er down and send it off to be gussetted and powdercoated.....then no worries!:D