PDA

View Full Version : 450R Issues

krazken
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
After extensive reading and searching this site as well as others, I wanted to try and get all of the feedback into one spot with regards to the 450R. I am especially interested on the dislikes. What is wrong in everyone's opinion? What could Honda improve on? I am trying to balance the pros and cons of it. Some people love it, some people hate it. Its easy to figure out why people love it....power, reliability...i mean..come on...its a honda...but what are the disadvantages of this quad?

kickstart vs electric?
ease of maintenance?
lack of aftermarket products?
that blasted hot start junk?

Thanks a lot!
Robert

06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
after owning a 400ex for awhile & now having the 450r I have come to realize that electric start is a PITA....having battey failures & dealing with those issues sucks & its much easier to just throw a leg forward...as for the hot start cra it makes it much easier to start & when my engine is hot & I try to start it without it it takes a couple more kicks but 90% of the time I can get the kickstart to fire right up first kick. now, if you know how to work on the honda & change oil & adjust chains & maintain them then the 450r is easier via mainteance as many things are just like the other honda sports. lack of aftermarket parts right now does kinda suck but the atv is still new & I expect many things to come like the 400ex has right now but alot of that depends on the sales figures of the vehicles im sure. good luck with your decision & you cant go wrong with neither the yfz or the trx really

Scottie Mac
06-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Try to ride it and decide for yourself.

Kick vs. Elec - Elec is convenient, unless you have a dead battery. If you have half a brain, you should be able to keep your battery charged. Seeing that the TRX is kick only, really isn't an issue.

Ease of maintenance - basic oil changes and filter cleanings go A LONG WAY to keeping your new baby running tip top

Aftermarket parts? Plenty, what few parts are not available now, will be in no time. There are plenty of fully decked TRXs out there.

Hot Start - is designed to help you start the ATV when the motor is hot. It dumps fresh air into the carb track. With this, starting the ATV should not be an issue.

If you decide to mod the ATV, as long as your jetting is correct and tuning within spec, it should start as good as it did when it was stock.

Good luck,

Scott

krazken
06-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I am trying to not only help myself here...but everyone else on the site by getting all of the negative aspects of the 450r into one location. People definitely need to make up their own mind about a quad...no doubt...and riding it is probably 80% of that decision.

86GN
06-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Its not simply a faster 400EX. I think the 400 is easier just to jump on and ride fairly fast. With that said, the 450 will make you a better, faster rider. First impressions are that 1st gear is tall and its tippy but after you adjust your riding you realize that this thing is on rails!! I went 1 tooth down on the c.s. sprocket but have since gone back to stock gearing.
For me the kickstart is a non issue but I have been riding for a long time and all the bikes I used to have never had electric start. Heck the 450 starts easier than the little XR100 we have.

Tumbleweed
06-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I had two 400ex's, an 02' and an 03' I sold the O3' and got a 450R. Best thing I ever did. Sure the 400 is more user friendly with the E-start but they are COLD BLOODDED beasts. The 450 fires on the first kick and stays running. No fiddling around with the choke for 5 min. like the 400 seems to require. Anyway, If you want to go really slow on a trail, sightsee and be able to ride aggressive too, the 400 might be for you especially since you can get a good deal on one about now. The 450 will do that too, but feels like it just wants to wind up...it seems to beg for it!

Otherwise, the 450R A LOT more powerfull stock for stock. I really like the stock suspension much better as well. Power band is much more linear with no purcieved flat spot. It just pulls right up to the rev. limiter. if you want to ride hard and run with the big dogs, go 450R. There is nothing wrong with the 400 though, it's a nice wheeler and can be modded easily.

On the trails, it won't matter that much, if you are even a moderate rider you will have fun with either. I have had no problems with either of my bikes. Enjoy.:)

PEPwalshZ440
06-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I love my 450r, I think it is the best quad out there.
Mike

Hammer trx450r
06-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
I love my 450r, I think it is the best quad out there.
Mike

I totally agree. Batteries are for the street where you can get a jump!

06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
I totally agree. Batteries are for the street where you can get a jump! can I use that?

Hammer trx450r
06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
can I use that?

Use what?

06-08-2004, 09:54 PM
what you said

Shawn H
06-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Only gripe I have is
The rear end sucks it bucks badd.
the only other thing is when you drain your tranny oil with a skid plate it leaks all over the fricking place, but it is a minor complaint

06-08-2004, 10:13 PM
my oil doesnt leak everywhere when I drain it with the skidplate on

MX#9
06-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Mine does.

Shawn H
06-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Not the engine oil the tranny and if you have a skid on It probably does leak all over! Have you even changed your tran oil yet?
I replace my engine oil and tran after every race or 10 hrs of practice play riding. So I'm always cleaning a mess!:grr: i drilled a hole in skid to drain some but still messy.

06-09-2004, 09:33 AM
i changed my trans oil one time so far after about an hour after i first got it of play riding & breaking it in...i put the HP4 2 stroke trans oil in it that comes in that tall red plastic bottle...its been about 10 hours of riding after that & I cant remember if there was a problem draining it but I think it just all emptied into a big can I put under it...

red2004 TRX450R
06-09-2004, 09:50 AM
I have full skids on mine and the trans oil drains out and on to the skid!!!!!

I used a peace of flexable plastic and made a "ramp" and held it up under the dran plug so the oil runs down it and not all over the skid plate!!!!!!!!!!!!

MX#9
06-09-2004, 09:57 AM
I have the same issues when changing oil on any quad with a full skid. On my 450,I just pull the skid off, This way I can clean the underside at every oil change. It is a nitpicking ***** really. I do agree with an earlier post that the *****end bucks too much,even after adjusting it.

quadjeff
06-09-2004, 09:58 AM
I cut a small cut-out in my skid plate and made a little area for the oil to drain. Changing that side SUCKS! But that is the only complaint I have. I have a leager pro-trax 250R and I will never ride that again unless my 450 breaks. Love the 450.

Bretmd94
06-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I will agree that changing the tranny oil sucks ****.

It wasnt that bad when it was stock, but now i have AC propegs. The new pegs are right where my room is for a socket. Luckily i have some nice end wrenches with a clicking end on the round part (like a socked wrench) and it barely got in there from below and was able to loosen it. Otherwise, I would have had to take off the pro pegs. Not fun.

Rest of the stuff on the 450r is made to be easy and is. I love it more than anything. If i had the money i would have a yzf too, but im still very happy i waited for and chose the 450r. Especially after seeing freinds of mine wiht yzf's having a lot of trouble with their batteries. :blah: