PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping?

nakomis0
08-26-2001, 07:57 PM
I hear the 400ex clutch isnt the greatest. How do you know if your clutch is slipping? Does its slip under hard acceleration? or what?

And also what do I need to change, just springs? or clutch plate and spring? new basket? thanks:)

skemp
08-26-2001, 08:18 PM
The clutch will make a grinding, friction type of noise if it slips. This will happen under hard acceleration or when you let the clutch out and rev it up. This sometimes happens when you try to accelerate hard when letting out the clutch in too high of a gear. Say you are stopped or close to it and you try to take off in third while revving and letting the clutch out, it might slip.

This will wear the clutch plates, and you should really try not to do it. If you replace anything, I would guess it would be the clutch springs or the plates. The springs can weaken and allow the clutch to slip or the plates can be worn. You could measure the thickness of the plates with a caliper. The spec. is 2.69mm or 0.106in. depending on the caliper you use. You should also look for scratches in the plates, warping, or discoloration like it has been burned.

08-26-2001, 08:35 PM
if you can hold down your rear brake and your motor still revs it's new clutch time

trx400ex
08-26-2001, 08:36 PM
if you take it apart replace the springs and plates....buy a kit (barnett is a good choice) dont do one or the other...be sure to get a new gasket..you will feell it slip and alot of times in will squell. you wont need a new basket...the only thing that might be wroing on the basket in burnt oil sticking on the outside making it look wornout ..which is caused by leting the clutch slip too long...just by a barnett clutch kit... no basket

trx400ex
08-26-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
if you can hold down your rear brake and your motor still revs it's new clutch time

okay?????????????????:huh :huh :huh :huh

400exRacerX
08-26-2001, 08:38 PM
that made no sense what-so-ever magrathsucks, i can hold my rear brake in an rev my motor, dont need a new clutch niether, maybe ill try my front break?:huh

nakomis0
08-26-2001, 09:06 PM
Ok that helps guys, I was kinda asking because I knew I could use some clutch work, and I noticed a slight 1/2 second power drop (clutch slippage?) after I power shifted into third gear during a race. I'm somewhat paronoid when my bike does weird stuff, i figured that could have been clutch slipage, either way I think its a good idea to get a clutch plate and springs.

08-27-2001, 09:50 PM
ok..if your sitting still..put it in gear and hold on the rear brake hard and the motor revs the clutch is completly fried....i could do it in my truck when the clutch was gone

monkeyboy
08-21-2003, 09:23 AM
iz it steeeeel brokin:confused:

AtvMxRider
08-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
okay?????????????????:huh :huh :huh :huh

lol I was thinking the same thing.

nakomis0
08-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey MonkeyHumper... this threads from like yr 2001. your a little late in ur reply. You was just a lile cum spot on ur moms leg when this thread was posted ..:blah: jk jk