PDA

View Full Version : project tecate

rideREDrider
06-07-2004, 11:39 AM
hey just got a tecate for my senior project. It needs a new top-end and the guy i bought it from said that you can't bore the kind of metal? Is this right. Do any aftermarket company's make a-arms/nerfs/bumper for the tecate anymore? Any Info about the tecate please tell.

cheetah
06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't see why you couldn't bore it.:confused:

hollywood43
06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi. He's probably talking about it being nickasil plated. You can bore it but you lose the benefits of the plating. Or you can having it sent out to be rebored and re-nickasil'd. I believe the benefits are better cooling and longer cylinder life.

For a-arms I would have Dave Roberts over at ILR Performance custom make you a set. You can email him for a quote at dave@ilrperformance.com. He can actually set you up with whatever performance parts you're looking for. AC still has the jig for the front bumper and rear grab bar. You'll have to order from them direct. For the nerfs your only choice is Graydon Proline. Not the best service but their aluminum nerfs are pretty nice. I did have to tweak mine a bit to fit but they look good!

rideREDrider
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
is the plating stock, because i think the cylinder is stock/stock bore

hollywood43
06-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes, Tecate-4 cylinders were nickasil plated from the factory.

Rip_Tear
06-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Good luck with the project. I want to get a LT250, LT500 or a Tecate for a project when I have the time and money. Have fun and keep us updated :D

rideREDrider
06-08-2004, 05:57 AM
so what should i do bore it or re sleeve it

hollywood43
06-08-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm having a race engine built for mine (should be almost done) with a '88 KX250 triple power valve cylinder and had the same dilemma. I decided to go with boring it out because that way I would have the capability to bore it again later on. If you're looking at cost effectiveness, then I would recommend considering going with just a bore. I will ask Dave over at ILR if a factory sleeve can be safely bored. He'll know for sure. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

rideREDrider
06-08-2004, 07:46 AM
hey thanks alot for your help. Do you also know what all exhaust companies make for the tecate.

hollywood43
06-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Currently the sole provider is Power Pros. ILR Performance is about the only company that has them in stock. Originally I tried to order one through Graydon Proline, who will turn around and order it through Power Pros and then stamp their name on it before they send it out to you. They jerked me around for months before I canceled my order and called ILR. I had it that week.

FMF does make an exhaust for the T-4 but you don't want it. They actually make less HP then the stocker. FMF didn't put any R&D into the T-4 exhaust. They simply rebent the T-3 exhaust to fit the T-4 frame.

lil400exman
06-08-2004, 02:16 PM
keep it stock. it will be much more. also dont hurt the plastics! the plastics are worth super $$$$$$$$$$$$:eek2:

Duncanracer
06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
i'm pretty sure u cant bore nikasil plated cylinders

you would ahve 2 choices

sleeve it, or renikasil

where nikasil wears longer, but the sleeving is much cheaper, but doesnt last as long as a nikasiled cylinder would last

hollywood43
06-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks man. I wasn't sure if it could be bored or not. I went with a new sleeve on my kx250 cylinder so that I could bore it in the future.

rideREDrider
06-08-2004, 04:21 PM
so i'll have to resleeve it i guess

monkeyboy
06-08-2004, 04:42 PM
iz itt fassss

:confused: :confused:

diesel-mech
06-08-2004, 06:56 PM
If you want to learn about tecate's I found its best to talk to some one that knows them.
I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm bashing them, I'm not! most of the answers you have reseved are from poeple who have "heard" this or that, They don't know it as a "fact" They are answering with the best of intensions hoping to help you. They don't realize the info may possibly be steering you in the wrong direction.:( Like I said I don't mean to bash anyone for triing to help.

Now, that being said. I am building a tecate4 myself. I've done a lot of homework on them. I DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW ALL ABOUT THEM AND DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK I DO! There have to be some companies that make aftermarket parts but I have only found a few. DG was big on tecate parts, You can still get extended axles and carriers,wheels, pipes from other venders. I have yet to find any aftermarket A-arms. I made alot of my own parts. Ati-vibe steering stem, Long travel A-arms(I'm wondering how well that will work out) Some parts I'm sure you can retro fit from other quads(shocks???)
As your engine goes John at bandbracing@sbcglobal.net Will be your best info guy. He has agreed to build my engine to a 330cc, He will build to your riding style. I've checked his stats and I am confident that nobody knows tecate's like he does. I have read reveiws from his customers and they are astonished at how amazing their quads run. I am talking about KILLERKX327 from this site. He is absolutly against sleeving the cylinders! He will bore and re nikasil it. It makes more power, less friction, heat, and wear. He says he can build a 265cc that will make you wet your pants and I totally beleave him. I'm no push over either. I have a hard time beleaving anyone will put as much pride into my machine as I will. That being said I totally trust him.

You can get alot of help and great information from guys (and girls) on this site and its a lot of fun! There are some extremely intelligant people here that really know quads. But when it comes to tecates not many people have ever owned or ridin them. Some times the information you get may be bias only because it is (or comes from) someones opinion and is not fact. I suggest study the information that people give you and do some research on it before making a desission that may cost you money (myself included)
Good luck with yout tecate4 and if I can help you I will try. I hope that if you learn any good info you will pass it my way;)

Also to monkeyboy, How yah doin? I've read a lot about you but I thought you were gone for good. Glad to see you're back!:macho

rideREDrider
06-08-2004, 07:31 PM
does that guy have a site.

diesel-mech
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by rideREDrider
does that guy have a site.

Yah but I don't know what it is off hand. Just email him and talk to him, He will tell you what his site address is. He's a good dude. Some guys on this site know him personally. If you do a tecate search and check some of my old post you will find guys that know him and have had him do work for them. PM them and get the scoop. John is no joke. Very smart guy and talented:p

Good luck
Hope nobody was affended by my post, if so I'm sorry

hollywood43
06-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Ha, ha -- just because I'm not sure if you had to absolutely resleeve the engine now I don't know crap. I built an '88 Tecate from the ground up and can pretty much tell you anything that you want about them and it will be right. I have researched everything about them and have spoke countless hours with experts that used to work for Kawi when they were being produced. If you re-read my posts you will see that I warned that I wasn't 100% positive on my information so I said that I would find out and get back to him. The reason that I wasn't 100% sure about the nickasil plating is because I don't waste my time with it. I'd rather do the more cost-conscious thing and allow myself bores later.

With that said, John over at B&B would be your absolute worst bet on a person to deal with. Red -- I sent you a PM describing my dealings with him and others as well. He is NOT a quality engine builder and is only out to make a buck. I have proof that he charged me for services that he did not provide. And it wasn't a few bucks either -- more like hundreds. I warned him before he started that I could do the work myself but didn't have the time. That should have told John that I was going to be back into the engine sooner or later to check things out.

As I have said, I have sources and info for all Tecate parts. I will get you in touch with the right people if you ask. No problem. I don't try to be a middle man like John because I'm not in it to make any money.

rideREDrider
06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
you guys are just confessing me in what to do :p

diesel-mech
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hollywood43
[B]Ha, ha -- just because I'm not sure if you had to absolutely resleeve the engine now I don't know crap!

With that said, John over at B&B would be your absolute worst bet on a person to deal with. Red -- I sent you a PM describing my dealings with him and others as well. He is NOT a quality engine builder and is only out to make a buck. I have proof that he charged me for services that he did not provide. And it wasn't a few bucks either -- more like hundreds. I warned him before he started that I could do the work myself but didn't have the time. That should have told John that I was going to be back into the engine sooner or later to check things out.

Hollywood chill the f__k out! Did I say "Hollywood is full of *****" No I didn't, Did I say nobody has any clue about tecate's but me? No I didn't! read carfully before you mouth off. I have asked a lot of tecate questions before I realized that most of the info I got was third and fourth hand info. which means that only parts of it will be true and some will be opinions. For this reason I caution Red to research the info he gets. you have a problem with him checking to make sure what you say is correct? I don't.

You are also the only person that I has heard of that has had a problem with Johns work. This interest me. What is the story there? I'm sure there are more poeple on this site besides me who would like to know incase they are planning on having him do some work and to be fair I think you should post it here so John himself has a chance to read it so we can get his point of veiw on it. I'm the type of guy who wants both sides of the story before making my own opinion. Its called impartial judgement. You prove to us that John ripped you (and or others) off, John gives his side of the story. Poeple can make up their own minds about who was right. Sounds fair to me

diesel-mech
06-09-2004, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by diesel-mech
[B]If you want to learn about tecate's I found its best to talk to some one that knows them.
most of the answers you have reseved are from poeple who have "heard" this or that, They don't know it as a "fact".

I owe Hollywood an apolligy :eek: I did not realize I said "most of the answers" I didn't means to say "most" I wanted to say "some"
And by that I simply ment beware of information you get from people who have not owed one. Before I made my first post I was aware that hollywood had owned one (maybe more) and has good connections. I would consider Him a good source for info.
So again I appoligize to Hollywood and anyone else if I affended you. I should have read my own post more carefully. And to Hollywood again I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I have a bit of a quick temper. (ex-marine) I should think more before I react

However I really do want to know both sides of the story with you and John, Also if anyone else has had problems with him. I haven't sent him my engine yet but I stand behind what I've said about him. As of yet I have no reason think not think highly of him

lil400exman
06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
hey diesel- everytime i stop by ur house ur not home. ur house has the dana 60 front axle out there with the big ol dodge 4dr pickup?:o

diesel-mech
06-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
hey diesel- everytime i stop by ur house ur not home. ur house has the dana 60 front axle out there with the big ol dodge 4dr pickup?:o

Yup I'm home now stop by drink a beer

lil400exman
06-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
Yup I'm home now stop by drink a beer

lol thats the last thing i need right now.........lol:bandit: but uhhhh we should setup a time this weekend i should drop by.........what happened to all the toys u had a few years back?

diesel-mech
06-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
lol thats the last thing i need right now.........lol:bandit: but uhhhh we should setup a time this weekend i should drop by.........what happened to all the toys u had a few years back?

Never really liked the roadrunner. (flowmasters gave me a head ache) Dad has the 300ex and motorhome. you should pm me

hollywood43
06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey, my father-in-law is an ex-marine too. Marines generally aren't known for their even temper! :) They always get sent in when we need the job done right here, right now. I definitely have respect for you guys.

Sorry if I took your original post the wrong way. It sure sounded to me like I didn't know squat. Honestly I don't claim to know everything about these quads. I do know a lot because I've also researched the heck out of them. When I first bought my Tecate I was worried because nobody seemed to have them or have any knowledge of them. I stumbled across John and felt a huge relief because I finally found somebody who seemed to have all the answers. I exchanged many emails with him and he convinced me that he was the only person that I should go to for all of my Tecate needs. I made an appointment to drive to his house and drop off my engine and rear shock.

A little back ground on my Tecate purchase. I sold off a lot of my personal possessions -- my Ram-Air Firebird, my quad, my three wheeler -- pretty much everything except my waverunners -- because I was getting married and needed to buy a house. So I wasn't exactly in the money at the time. I decided to sell a really nice Taylor acoustic guitar so that I could buy a quad. I found a Tecate up in Wisconsin for $1K that was supposed to only need it's flywheel/stator installed. The guy had the engine apart, installed a new flywheel/stator and the key shearing resulting in both of them being trashed. So he was afraid to try it again. I knew very little about them but it was in my price range so I bought it. I soon found out that I was in over my head. The thing had pretty low compression and most of the bearings were trashed. However, the plastic was in pretty good condition so I made out OK there. So when I found somebody who sounded like they could help me I was really happy.

When I gave John my engine we decided on the following work: ceramic coat the head/piston, Moly-coat the piston skirt, replace broken KIPS valve, install stator/flywheel, install new shift shaft, new rod/bearing, bore cylinder, fix stripped drain plug, rebuild my rear shock. I provided everything for the job except the new power valve, shift shaft and rod/bearing. So items like the flywheel/stator, piston/rings, gaskets, etc. were already provided by me. I had a friend who got them for me at cost.

First off, I was new to Tecates and it had been years and years since I've played around with dirt bike 2 strokes. I had mostly been messing with waverunner engines. So I didn't realize that a quote of almost $1400 for the above work was alot. The very first thing that turned me off about John is that he wanted 100% of the money up front. That worried me. However, I wasn't given any reason to NOT trust him at this point so I didn't question it too much.

After a few months things started to turn sour. He was missing his promised delivery date by weeks and then over a month. I began growing impatient because I had finished all of the chassis restoration and only needed my rear shock and engine at this point. I complained that he was past the promised delivery date but he denied it. I thought about it a bit and decided not to push the issue and apologized to him. I knew that I had absolutely no leverage at this point because I was stupid enough to pay him in full before any work was completed. Then he said that he was almost done with the engine but the rear shock was missing. He said that FedEx lost it and I would need to take it up with them. So I totally wigged out on him. That was the last straw. I told him that he needed to give me a good shock whether it was mine or not. And HE needed to take it up with FedEx and not me. Then he found that he couldn't push me quite that far, apologized and told me to chill out. At this point I really felt that he was testing how far I could be pushed. The story was the shock rebuilder sent my shock to the wrong customer and wasn't sure if he could get it back. At this point all the confusion was starting to really make sense. John first came off like he did everything in-house but the truth was that he jobbed everything out at my expense. My shock was sent off for rebuilding, my cylinder for boring, my head/piston for ceramic coating.

The day came for me to come and pick up my engine, which I found out he finished putting together that morning. He also told me that he had a surprise for me, which happened to be my rear shock that miraculously showed up. I picked up my engine and everything seemed cool. I got home, installed it, filled it up and had the worst clutch cover leak in the world. I chased that leak for months and months before I finally got it fixed. My crankcase drain bolt that he "fixed" also leaked. Why? Because he cracked the case when he drilled/tapped it out. Soon it stripped on me and I was really screwed because a Heli-coiled drain bolt will always leak since you can't seal two sets of threads. I eventually had ILR install a billet bung in there so it was fixed right and will never be an issue again. Back to my problems -- the rear shock that he charged me $250 for a rebuild blew the first time out to the SX track. Trust me, I was new to supercross and was taking it very easy. This was also a little mini track from Fox Valley Offroad. Any stock shock could handle that track without any problem. At this point my question to myself would be "did you complain to John about it?" My answer is no. I had just had enough of him. I knew that he'd NEVER give me a refund and that I would NEVER let him re-ring my weed eater at this point let alone touch my Tecate ever again.

hollywood43
06-10-2004, 07:45 AM
OK, now it's months and months later. I had ILR rebuild my rear shock with all Fox components and it works awesome. My clutch cover is done leaking and things are pretty good. The engine seems to run decent but I really have nothing to compare it. I decide that I want to run race gas since the Blaster that I build is running a 50/50 mix at 40:1. I want to only mix one gas for both machines just for sake of simplicity. I check the squish on my Tecate and it's at the limit. My compression is only at 145lbs. I had *maybe* 30 hours on the thing. I live in a subdivision and don't get to ride very much because of work and location. So I pull the top end since I might need to lower the base gasket. Nope, no base gasket is installed. It was simply liquid gasket. Well, can't go down any lower than that. Now I need some consultation. We decide that a fresh sleeve needs to be done. I was warned by John that the sleeve job that was in the cylinder was not done very well but he never made any attempt to fix it because he knew that he got every penny out of me that I could afford. Now basically eveything that I paid to be done was being un-done. It was all a waste. But wait, isn't that the SAME rod that was in there when I took the motor to John? Sure is! (I delivered the motor with the top end off). Little did John know that I had checked the free play of the rod before I took it to him and the post-it was still stuck in my factory service manual. The free play measurements were the same. Plus, anybody could look at the rod and tell that it wasn't replaced within 30 hours. So he charged me for a rod/bearing that was never installed. But wait, there's more. He even lied to me when I picked up the motor saying that the Wiseco Hot Rods were on backorder so he installed a KX250 rod. Then I split the cases. It was clear to me that the cases hadn't been split any time for years. The balancer bolts were practically siezed they were rusted so bad. You could tell that the heads hadn't seen a wrench for a long time -- maybe ever. Logic dictates that if you didn't rebuild the crank then why split the cases? The shift shaft can be installed by removing the clutch cover without much difficulty as long as you are careful not to lose the forks. Further investigation found silly quality things wrong as well. Things like not using a Heli-coil to make both stator bolts the same. Instead just tap it out one size bigger so that I have one phillips head screw and a larger hex head bolt holding in the stator. The flywheel was held on by a bolt that was 1/2 too long and was shimmed with washers. It was starting to look like my engine was put together by a two year old with a framing hammer.

The truth is that some engine builders will talk up their work and "sell" the fact that they're the best. Other, more quality builders, will tell you that they can do the work and then let their work do the quality talking for them. John is a good talker and a good salesman. I do not doubt is capability and I do believe that he is capable of quality work. However that is not what I received. I have seen machines of his own and they are very impressive. But my engine and shock was put on the back burner and I felt very used when it was all over. As a consumer we love to have the feeling like we're somebody's only customer and that we're number one. Not many can accomplish that and business owners can't make everybody happy all of the time. But the truth is that I was warned by multiple people not to deal with John but I had the mentality that he never gave me a reason not to trust him (that was before he worked on my engine). Now I realize that those people were right. Since then I spoke with many people who are extremely knowledgable and have seen his work. They have not been impressed the least bit. I have spoken with others who have dealt with him and had similar experiences as I. Trust me, I am not an isolated case. He his a good salesman and a middle man. He tried to sell my friend Herman racing a-arms for a $100 mark up. Why? Because he would need to call Herman to place the order, have them delivered to him and then forward them to my friend. My friend turned around and simply ordered them through Herman himself and saved $100. He'll tell you that he has connections for all Tecate parts but you have to go through him for them. Not that he's a distributor but that he won't disclose his connections because then he can't mark up the product. If you need parts, let me know and I will give you a list of manufacturers/sources that I have found. I have yet to not be able to locate parts, including brand new factory plastics.

I'm not an a**hole and I don't mean to come off as one. I never said anything because I didn't want to mess with another man's livelihood. But I also felt that I couldn't stand by idly while he claims more victims. You could possibly have a great experience dealing with him. But I sure didn't and either did a lot of people that I talk to. IMHO there are better builders out there with more knowledge and better track records. I am open to defending everything that I stated above with John. I'm sure that I can also bring many others into this post for proof if need be.

rideREDrider
06-10-2004, 12:50 PM
is there anyone else that is "good" and specializes in tecates?

hollywood43
06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Personally, I always go through David Roberts of ILR Performance (dave@ilrperformance.com).

You can also talk to Andrew (tecateneeds@yahoo.com). I have friends who have went through him and were happy.

diesel-mech
06-10-2004, 05:30 PM
:eek2:
WOW! OK You have my attention! I am very interested in what John has to say about this. I'm glad that you are cool with My mistake on the previous post though.;)

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 06:45 PM
WOW is right.
it seems i have a very disgruntled ex- customer. well hollywood, i have a few questions for you, first off why was i never contacted, with these problems? secondly the leak on your cover could have been easily fixed had i known it leaked before you brought it to me i could have paid extra attention to see why it was leaking and made the repair, i was not made aware of it and therefore i didn't not look for it. sorry.
that motor was built and repaired exactly how we agreed upon it would be.by the way how many rods have you've ever seen after 10-30 hours time on it? your cases were split, the crank was rebuilt, and the balancer cover doesn't need to be pulled off to split the cases.since the cover was so corroded i didn't want to break anything in there or have to struggle getting the cover off or the gear out ,that is why just left it in there, and took the gear off the other side of the motor so that it could be split.
i do recall contacting you several times about helping you repair the leak and getting the motor properly jetted free of charge.
i offered for you to come to my house at your covenience for the leak repair and that i would take you to my track and let you ride so i could get your bike dialed in.
as far as the shock goes, i had no idea that you blew it out. i could've helped you, and least we forget that i put a one year warranty on all my motors, so if you have a problem at all you contact me to get it taken care of free of charge. who else do you know who does that.
and i'll gaurantee that there was a base gasket on that cylinder, and as far as the stator bolts are concerned there is no way that i would shim a bolt with washers, it doesn't happen in my shop. i believe i have been falsely accused of wrong doing here. but hey if it makes you feel better then fine. if you feel i did you wrong then why wasn't i asked by you to at least make an attempt to make it right?
oh and another thing, give me the list of people that have told you not to deal with me? are these people other engine builders themselves? will they have something to lose by you dealing with me. are these people anyone that has had motor work done by me?

i suppose when you're not happy about something the only things you look for are the negatives, how many people have you dealt with or talked to that have told that i do excellent work and stand behind my motors 100%.
i won't bash anyone, if you're not happy with me, i'm sorry, thats the best i can do.

FTR250Rnif
06-10-2004, 07:07 PM
that sounds like a sick senoir project! good luck:)

rideREDrider
06-10-2004, 07:29 PM
can i just get a new standard tecate jug with the nikasil plating?

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
if you have a stock cylinder now you can have it replated to stock specs for half the cost of a new cylinder.and it will be as good as new if not better.

rideREDrider
06-10-2004, 07:33 PM
yeah, thanks 250Rnif it's going to be a project. i just got out of 10th grade so i'll have about 2 years to find the parts to make it perfect!

rideREDrider
06-10-2004, 07:47 PM
hey, would this work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43977&item=2481729057&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

diesel-mech
06-10-2004, 07:52 PM
hey, would this work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43977&item=2481729057&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Nope wrong year. A cylinder from a 87 kx250 is the same part number though.

rideREDrider
06-10-2004, 07:55 PM
why wouldnt that work, arn't the kxt's the same?

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 08:04 PM
the 84-85 kxt cylinders are not powervalve cylinders. they will not bolt onto a tecate 4 or 86-87 tecate 3.
the 86-87 kx250 cylinder will work on a tecate 4, but a 86-87 tecate 3 cylinder will not work on the tec 4.

diesel-mech
06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
why wouldnt that work, arn't the kxt's the same?

TOP ENDS ARE THE SAME BOTTOM ENDS ARE DIFFERENT BECAUSE OF THE COUNTER WEIGHT. 3 WHEELERS AND BIKES DON'T NEED COUNTER WEIGHTS BECAUSE OF THE FORKS. THEY TAKE UP THE VIBRATIONS OF THE ENGINE BUT IN A QUAD IT WOULD RATTLE YOUR BRAIN.
THAT CYLINDER WON'T WORK BECAUSE IT IS THE OLDER "ROUNDED" CYLINDER. YOUR IS MORE OF A SQUARE STYLE. I'M NOT SURE IT WOULD EVEN BOLT TO YOUR CASES. If you look at your engine long enough you will start to see the difference;)

diesel-mech
06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by killerkx327
the 84-85 kxt cylinders are not powervalve cylinders. they will not bolt onto a tecate 4 or 86-87 tecate 3.
the 86-87 kx250 cylinder will work on a tecate 4, but a 86-87 tecate 3 cylinder will not work on the tec 4.

OK MAYBE THEY AREN'T THE SAME !:blah: I KNOW THAT THE kx250 ARE THOUGH i'VE MATCHED THE PART ##

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
the 84-85 tecate 3 cylinder is not even close to the same as the 87 kx 250 cylinder. here are the part #'s
85 tecate 3 cylinder #11005-1393
87 kx250 cylinder #11005-1509

diesel-mech
06-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by killerkx327
the 84-85 tecate 3 cylinder is not even close to the same as the 87 kx 250 cylinder. here are the part #'s
85 tecate 3 cylinder #11005-1393
87 kx250 cylinder #11005-1509

:p No I ment 87 kx not 85's

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 08:27 PM
oops my fault.
i misunderstood.

hollywood43
06-10-2004, 08:39 PM
John -- I do have to apologize about the base gasket. I forgot that there was indeed a base gasket on my jug. I originally thought that it wasn't there when I was troubleshooting my compression problem and that's what I remembered. But after I did pull the jug the gasket was hiding under there.

But it's funny that you'll deny shimming that bolt flywheel bolt with all of those washers. I about fell over when I saw it. You helped me remember the gasket so maybe I can help jog your memory on this one -- the flywheel bolt was shimmed with all those washers because it appears that the hole in the crank was partially stripped. So you probably needed a bolt with a longer reach to get to the good threads. Instead of going to the hardware store to purchase the correct length bolt you just shimmed it out. The bolt wasn't threaded in its entirety so you couldn't simply cut it. Where I come from we call that lazy. I'm sure that it was something the previous owner did when attempting to install the flywheel.

I agree that you offered to help with the clutch cover. I'm not sure why you didn't just put fluid in it when you had the engine knowing that I was going to come to pick it up. It's not like the engine had to go through shipping or anything. That way you can do a little more quality control on your work. Especially since clutch covers do seem to be a common place for Tecate's to leak.

The rod on the crank was NEVER changed but it's nice of you to lie to everybody about it. The rod bearing was at its absolute service limit when you got the engine and after 30 hours max it was at the same place. How many rods have I seen? I've taken apart many engines starting back when I was about 14 and pulled apart my KX80. Then it was my RM 80. Then I've done countless snowmobiles and jetskis. So I know my way around an engine, I know what a new rod looks like and I know what a used rod looks like. I also know what a rod looks like when it's been only slightly used. Furthermore, play in a bearing is easy to measure.

Whether anybody believes me or not, I'm getting it out in the open. I kept quiet for a long time and only talked to people in private about my nightmare experience with B&B Racing. But I decided to put this out on the table and let people know the truth before they make any decision. But I do have to hand it to you -- you have a certain way of eloquently wording your posts so that you sound sincere. However I see right through you. What other's that have had a bad experience with you? Go hang out at Kawieriders for a while and ask that same question. There are too many REAL engine builders there for you to pull your act. But many of the others I spoke to in private and I won't repeat what they said without asking for their permission first. Some were engine builders (and I will add that they weren't trying to get my business -- not everybody is like you, John) and others were either customers of the past or people that you still do business with. I don't want to endanger that business relationship because you still buy from them on occasion.

Why didn't I bring all of my problems up with you? I thought that I answered that in my previous posts. One bad, nightmarish experience with B&B was enough for a lifetime. I didn't want you to make it right the second time, I wanted it right the first time. One mistake or maybe even two would be acceptable because we're all human. But there was no excuse for how you treated me and what you pulled.

OK, I've said my peace. I feel that I did my part by warning everybody. I hope that if any of the members here send their work to you that you purposely do a good job for them to prove me wrong. I want you to prove me wrong and do that for them. Nobody deserves to go through what I did.

killerkx327
06-10-2004, 09:29 PM
HOLLYWOOD,
i apologise, sorry !!!