PDA

View Full Version : 300ex vs 450r

glenfoto
06-07-2004, 12:37 AM
A quick question....

I am currently riding a TRX300EX, and am looking at buying a 450R. I'm a big guy, 250lbs, and the 300ex cries up dunes. Lol it's pathetic.

I am aware of the power and handling difference...

But what I want is input from you folks, especially those that have started out with smaller quads..... what should I expect? Is it going to be a HUGE difference?

I started riding about 3 months ago, and have been riding every weekend for the last, uh, 3 months. I started on the 300ex, but I've noticed that I've "grown out" of it.

I would appreciate any informative info, and even humorous comparisons between the two bikes..

Also, would I be able to keep up with my bro's 660 Raptor?

Thanks!

r450rr
06-07-2004, 01:28 AM
i have to say its a big step from a 300ex, i came from a pipe and jetted 400ex, and its nothing alike, but everything that is different about them, is what makes the 450r so great in my book, it does just about everything better than my ex, well actually everything.. i loved my ex, but now i have found a new love.:devil:

and about your brothers rapturd. if its stock. u will smoke him in a drag, (in about the first 400ft. until you top out, and then the raptor will catch up. but it isnt really a race from 1st till 5th. u will smoke him.) and if your on a track, u should be able to eat him up..

good luck and i hope your satisfied,

it will take some getting use to though

twisted threads
06-07-2004, 03:26 AM
The 450r by far is leaps and bounds better then the 300ex. I don't even think is fare to compair them.;) by the way what dunes do you ride?

glenfoto
06-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Glamis, Pismo, and Ocotillo Wells, here in California!

Thanks for the input guys!:devil:

sparky450AR
06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I also switched from a decked out 330ex with elkas. The 450R has a much stronger frame than the 300ex's. It has a much stronger powerplant than the 300ex. It's wider, more stable, longer, better looking. And the best part! It only weighs 350 pounds!

You won't even question your purchase once you ride it.

Have fun, and you have now been sucked into the best, most addicting sport that there is.

MX#9
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Glen,I admire the fact that you cut your teeth on a,what I call, entry level quad. I don't know how tall you are, but a 300ex has a very cramped felling for me at only 6ft. The difference is worse than night and day. Thay do not even compare,except for the sticker that reads HONDA. Buy it and have fun relocating a lot more sand.

glenfoto
06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Well, i'll be picking up the R on Wednesday or Thursday... whenever I can get over to ALBA.... I can't wait. I'll be breaking that puppy in this weekend.. regardless if it is 104 in the desert at this time of year.. im gonna do it! lol

Thanks!

dreth
06-08-2004, 06:29 AM
only sissies stop riding when it gets hot!!!!!!!!!so ride on bro

glenfoto
06-09-2004, 11:41 PM
The 450R sits in my garage.. waiting for this Friday. (I'm a federal employee.... and President Bush told us to close and "mourn.") Can't wait to break her in... It's a beautiful machine.. can't wait!

dreth
06-10-2004, 03:28 PM
checking that ride status!!!! congrats on its arrival!!! one important thing to remember.......it is not your 300 it revs high and fast for a reason. IT DOES NOT LIKE TO GO SLOW!! it takes alot of rpms to get it moving or it will stall so dont be scared to gas it. let us know how yo like it!!!!

glenfoto
06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Wow. That's all I have to say about today's ride.

It took me 20 mins to get all the bugs and sand out of my teeth, because I was smiling the whole time I rode it.

Compared to the 300, the power throughout the range is amazing. Hit the throttle, and she just keeps pullin. Amazing.

Thanks for all the input friends.. take care.

One thing I WILL do... is change that front sprocket... that 1st gear is TAAAALLL.

Jonas
06-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Just wondering why people feel that first gear is too tall and at the same time the front end is too light? Not understanding?

300extreme#8
06-11-2004, 11:46 PM
thats what i'm sayin,i never noticed the front bein so light, and i never know how tall 1st is b/c i don't stay in it long

allmixedup047
06-12-2004, 12:36 AM
first gear is tall. i went to a 13t front. but i DO NOT understand why everone was sayin the front end is so light. it feels normal to me. befor i bought mine all i heard was horror stories about how bad it was trying to keep the front end down. the first day i got it the front end came up a little when i got into it hard in low gears but now after riding it for a couple months the front end doesnt come up unless i want it to:D . i too went from a small quad (blaster) to my 450r. i hadnt had a quad in like 3 years between but i still rode others. im about 235 pounds and im 6'1". it halls my fat *** around with no problem up dunes. although im about a bike length slower on it than a 175 pound rider in a drag race. i have the HRC kit in it and with a 175 pound rider on it, it will beat a piped raptor by about 1 to 2 bikes in 400ft. best thing for you to do is ride the hell out of it and learn that quad inside and out. have fun and dont stop riding:devil:

FatBoy Racing
06-12-2004, 12:48 AM
congrats on your new ride and joinin' the club! i did notice, however, that you're online now. why the hell are you not out beating on your new wheels?!?! just the same, I'm sure you'll enjoy it -- see ya on blow sand (I'll be the large fellow on the 450 in front of you :D )

06-12-2004, 01:02 AM
i dont notice my front end being light either...seems normal to me..

allmixedup047
06-13-2004, 12:58 PM
i think its just that the whole bike is light. even the rear end. i was workin on my endo's yesterday and i rolled it over for the first time.:(

sparky450AR
06-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
i think its just that the whole bike is light. even the rear end. i was workin on my endo's yesterday and i rolled it over for the first time.:(

are you ok?....ive never understood how some endo's a bike and doesnt walk out of it with a broke neck, or back.

06-13-2004, 02:41 PM
ive endoed my bike over alot & it hurts the most out of all my wrecks..especially when I do it on the pavement

allmixedup047
06-13-2004, 04:25 PM
its either your wrists when you catch yourself, or the bike smashing into your back. im a little sore today in my lower back, but it will buff out.:macho

dreth
06-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by dreth
checking that ride status!!!! congrats on its arrival!!! one important thing to remember.......it is not your 300 it revs high and fast for a reason. IT DOES NOT LIKE TO GO SLOW!! it takes alot of rpms to get it moving or it will stall so dont be scared to gas it. let us know how yo like it!!!!

back to check and glad to hear you liked it!!!! if you plan on putting a pipe and filter in it or maybe even a cam you might want to keep your old front sprocket around because with the added power you will go through 1st & 2nd so fast you will likely want to change back. just a thought. like i said lots of clutch to get it to go slow.

glenfoto
06-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks dreth!

Yes, I am waiting to pipe, rejet, intake the bike. I will keep the stock sprocket.. just in case I need to go back to it. Thanks again.

Glen

allmixedup047
06-13-2004, 11:03 PM
for the people on here that have a 450r with pipe and slip on. what kind do you have and where is the most power gain at. low,mid,or top. thanks

dreth
06-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
for the people on here that have a 450r with pipe and slip on. what kind do you have and where is the most power gain at. low,mid,or top. thanks

well some would say to do a search to find answer but i like the sparks full system and most poweris gained in the bottom to mid.

allmixedup047
06-14-2004, 09:14 PM
my mind was already made on sparks, but i was just wondering. i need that low end to mid range power.. i could care less about top end. i want that out of the hole torque.:D

LUELLEN450R
06-14-2004, 09:23 PM
I RUN THE HMF FULL SYSTEM HELPED ALL THE WAY THROUGH BUT I NOTICED THE BIGGEST BOTTOM TO MID ADD THE HRC KIT AND YOU GET INSTANT DEATH FACTOR IN THE TRIPLE DIGITS:devil: