PDA

View Full Version : Anyones YFZ over heating

CatMostFeared
06-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Its been hot out the last couple races and I notice my radiator puking.Running hot.

Hows everyones else do in the heat when thew mud get on her?

Kennethyfz450
06-06-2004, 10:44 PM
it all depends on how much money i have left over but i am for sure getting a larger oil tank for my yfz..

and has never puked any liquiud but i dont want to give it the chance.. the fan comes on often when you lug it around a trail

ridered442
06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Next time your bike starts to overheat, put some of your ice cream on the radiator. If that does not work, sell it and buy a 450r.:eek2: :eek2:

CTmxyfz
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
i took off the fan and it ran real hot. Radiator gushed out overflow then when it was done, sucked what was left in the bottle back into the engine. try engine ice or bigger radiator.

Splatter Matter
06-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Im running a little hot to. just make sure its not your jetting.

CatMostFeared
06-07-2004, 06:18 PM
After cleaning my quad today I noticed it was just caked with mud in the Rad.
Yup thats my problem just not enough air flow.
I'll just have to come up with something to block at the next mud race.:macho

jb500ex
06-07-2004, 07:08 PM
cat, go with the engine ice. i overheated mine until it shut down, from a race in the mud. put engine ice in and the stuff works great

burrows
06-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Where do you get the engine ice? How does it work?

CatMostFeared
06-08-2004, 01:55 AM
engine ice has a high boiling point and helps keep the engine cooler.
I have some stuff coming from GT Thunder,its RedLine stuff
works better than ice.It should be here by Thursday.I let you know how it works.:cool:

jlhughes750
06-08-2004, 07:11 AM
sunday i was running a harescramble and on the first lap we all got crazy in the mud battling for spots for the next hour the bike was popping and snapping, i checked the filter and it was spotless clean !!! I would hit the grass sections and try to get speed up to cool it down but it just got worse, it bogged so bad sometimes lugging the engine that it just cut out and I'd have to down shift!?!?!?! Needless to say i was not happy about it. what do u guys think, I'm gonna jet it up a lil richer, but that just makes it harder to start when hot. I was told not to waste time or $ on coolant additives?????

My radiator was packed solid with mud and the red light was off and on the entire race but the bike never shut down??
I am changin the following, one main jet bigger, change coolant to fresh stuff, and keep the rad. clean.....any other suggestions that DO NOT involve selling it!!!

daddio
06-08-2004, 08:01 AM
redline "water wetter" works great. I use it in my banshee and it dropped the max temp 20 degrees or so. It never overheats now, and it used to all the time.
It might help to put a screen 3-6 inches in front of your radiator. I was looking at my yfz and thought about puting 3/4" expanded alm. on the frame tubes (like we did for our sprint car). that will stop the big chunks and still allow an air gap for the radiator to draw air thru.

660bigdaddy
06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
I was looking at my yfz and thought about puting 3/4" expanded alm. on the frame tubes (like we did for our sprint car). that will stop the big chunks and still allow an air gap for the radiator to draw air thru.
good idea....:D anything to help prevent clog up... one thing is for sure. the radiator location is better than a raptor. i always had problems w/ the rappy overheating...

cliq20
06-09-2004, 10:09 AM
you could also run AMSOIL 4 stroke 0w-40 oil in it too. it's pure synthetic and they claim that your engine runs cooler if you use it. i haven't tried it yet (waiting for next oil change) but it couldn't hurt.

jb500ex
06-09-2004, 04:19 PM
it's not a additive, its coolant. mickey recommended this and something else might be what cat was talking about

lt250r91
06-10-2004, 04:42 AM
NPG+ WATERLESS COOLANT

http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm

If this stuff can't fix your problem, then you better sell it.

I've switched the dale over to it. At the Sparta race I plug the radiator up early and ran the whole race without losing a drop of coolant the whole to hours. This is the best stuff on the market hands down. I got turn onto this stuff last year when I was having overheating issues with the GasGas and I'll only run it in all my machines.

jlhughes750
06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I just ordered some, thanks for the info!!

lt250r91
06-10-2004, 08:23 PM
No problem, Mickey was the one that turned me onto this stuff last year. I was talking to him about the GasGas overheating issues and how he was planning on fixing it for the 450 he had. He said that he was going to test out this stuff and he'd let me know. Well a couple races later he said the stuff was awesome and he was planning on using it in all his quads. Don't know if he has switched completely over to it or not, but I know I have. I'll a strong believer in this stuff. Let me know what you think of it after to have had some seat time on the quad with it in it.

Mike

CatMostFeared
06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Well I had no problems at the patriot I ran the redline water wetter and taped up my front bumper now if I can keep from breaking tierods and hitting trees I might win 1:D

jlhughes750
06-14-2004, 08:25 AM
fresh coolant clean rad. etc.etc.etc.

went out for a warm up lap and it was still poppin and cutting out a lil??????????? Its been raced with the same jetting several times and ran fine???? now this weekend while it was runnin poopy, i took of the lid and it ran perfect??? I guess it being hot out lately, made it run richer??? I do not want to run it with the lid off so I'l lean it down and try it....I guess it got hot AND the jetting was too rich??:rolleyes: not convinced???? I'll keep u all posted.

Kennethyfz450
06-14-2004, 02:16 PM
the fan kicked on one time.. since i got the pipe installed i believe alot has to do with the factory pipe it gets really hott.. it got so hot where it would heat up your legs when you have 2 pairs of pants on.. (when it was really cold)

now with the lrd ceramic coating i do not feel the heat as bad.. it just feels warm like all the other bikes now....