PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

shook
03-23-2002, 08:00 PM
When I put my new cam in is it all right to switch back to non synthetic oil once you have been running synthetic I have heard that synthetic due to it being really thin oil that it can cause premature rockers failure.

VegasEx'r
03-23-2002, 08:52 PM
When you break in a new cam you shold always use conventional oil. I like to use a lot of assembly lube on new cams, so I fire it up & run it for 10 minutes or so (never letting it idle & never pinning the throttle) & vary the RPM's a lot. Then I chamge the oil & filter, but continue to use conventional oil until there are about 20 hours on the motor. After that, you can use conventional or synthetic (I use synthetic after that).

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 08:54 AM
Most engine builders say straight 40 weight conventional oil is the best to run.

03-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Most engine builders say straight 40 weight conventional oil is the best to run.

Yes that's true,,but they also recommend changing filters and oil after every race or every ride,,,and that stinks and can be costly. I used conventional oil on the 416 break in and then went back to synthetic.

knighttime
03-25-2002, 12:25 PM
It's ok to run it during break-in. Just make sure u have everthing all lubed up the way the honda manual tells u to. Different parts of the inside of the engine should be coated with different types of oil before the engine is started after a rebuild.

I used my existing synthetic during break-in. It never smoked or made any funny noises. If you have a good tight fit between your cylinder wall and rings, the synthetic will be fine during break-in.

400exRacerX
03-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Synthetic oil by far is not good for breaking in a motor. Synthetic oil is designed to lubricate engine parts alot better than conventional and the synthetic oil will not let the new motor parts wear correctly in order to seat themselves and break in.

knighttime
03-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Synthetic oil by far is not good for breaking in a motor. Synthetic oil is designed to lubricate engine parts alot better than conventional and the synthetic oil will not let the new motor parts wear correctly in order to seat themselves and break in.

Thats new to me. The only reason synthetic oil is not recommended during break-in is ... Because of normal tolerances between the cylinder wall and piston rings, synthetic oil may go between the rings and cylinder wall and into the combustion area, causing smoking out of the exhaust during break in. That is the only reason synthetic isnt recommended during break in. Also, there is no oil that can lubricate too much.

Also alot of racers have a relatively "loose fit" in terms of cylinder wall size and ring/piston size. This is why they almost always use conventional oil on break-in.

:blah

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 02:09 PM
I think Ill just run 40 weight and change the oil after every ride. If the engine builders say thats whats best then so be it. i got a $3000 motor and want to take the best car of it possible!!!

knighttime
03-25-2002, 02:11 PM
I'll go with breakin it in with conventional oil, but synthetic will keep you running longer and cooler if u use it after the break-in.

shook
03-25-2002, 08:01 PM
I have been told by severalengine builders that synthetic oilis to thin and slick it actually lubricates the cylinder to good and will not allow the rings toseat properly.It is supposed to be hard on your rockers to causes premature rocker wear ask HETRICKS , LRD all them will tell you to run dumond oil or kendall.There are several others engine builders that will recommend it too.

400exRacerX
03-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Ditto! Like I sound before, it actually lubricates the engine parts too good to break in properly. But I was wrong?:confused: