PDA

View Full Version : jetting

LuckyCharms
06-06-2004, 04:43 PM
ok here's the rundown - stock 400ex engine, choke still on - not taking it off, full HMF pipe, K&N w/ no lid, dynojet kit - 170 main, needle third clip - here starts the problem. With stock 38 pilot I was still backfiring when I would be off the gas at high RPMs as it slowed down, even with the air/fuel screw turned out 3 1/2 - no backfireing at higher RPM's so I am fine for the main jet. Called HMF and they said to put a 42 pilot and I would be fine. Got the pilot installed - it sits flush with the carb when screwed in whereas the stock sat lower in it. I don't believe this is a problem because I saw JOEX's post with the series 21 pilot jets comparing stock vs a 42 and mine looks the exact same. I put the air/fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns out from *what I considered to be turned all the way in*. I say this because I got confused when turning that screw in - it doesn't seem like it actually ends - I'm turning it in and it just slowly gets harder and harder to turn but no actual stopping point - very weird. I'm afraid to turn it in farther and strip the threads. So from the point where it is hardest to turn in I backed it out 2 1/2. The bike will not idle. To start it up I need the choke but when I turn off the choke it dies. and every few seconds it sounds like the carb is sucking dry or sputtering - not sure. Also it sounds as if sometimes the bike wants to idle sometimes but then not others. This is with the idle screw the highest it will go.

Sorry about the long post but I like to give people the most amount of info so they can better diagnose my problems.

Comments, suggestions, etc...

LuckyCharms
06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
anyone??? - I did a search and I did what I thought was required which is why I don't understand why it won't idle

zephead400ex
06-07-2004, 09:13 AM
The fuel/air screw should turn all the way in to a stopping point, this could be the problem. Have tried to put the stock pilot in to see if that is your problem? When riding, does the low end seem sluggish? If so, this is probably a pilot or needle problem.

cals400ex
06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
i am wondering if the pilot is already stripped. it should start getting hard and then only turn another 1/2 turn at most. however, you should only go to where it is slightly tight and then back it out from there.

also, now i would take the carb apart along with the pilot jet, mainjet, etc and spray the heck out of it with carb cleaner.