PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake?

ATV_MAN
03-23-2002, 07:05 PM
This may sound stupid because i am new to atvs but why do people take off there parking brake and put a brake block off on?Does it help?

cdalejef
03-23-2002, 08:30 PM
It just gets rid of some usless parts and a little weight.

VegasEx'r
03-23-2002, 10:22 PM
I have read posts here that claim that the parking brake keeps the rear brakes engaged. Apparently not enough to slow you down, but enough to wear out the pads pretty quick.

Moto92
03-24-2002, 12:53 AM
A parking brake is useless on a quad to begin with and when you have to replace the pads once a month youll wish it was gone.

gojk
03-24-2002, 01:58 AM
My pbrake did keep my brake slightly engaged. Enough to feel it unless I completely loosened the bolt that adjusts it which by doing that rendered it useless so if it is useless I say take it off.

Lil90man!!
03-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Hey you guys i have a 300 and i have a question for ya, how long do you peoples pads last without the parking brake?? the longest i have EVER got out of my pads is about 30 hours or so and i don't use my brakes that much, i just have heard peeps say that they took off the parking brake and haven't had to change the pads in like 3 months i ride alot so i end up changing my brake pads at least once a month usually 2 or 3 and that is like riding an hour a night, then a few hours on the weekends so it isn't really that much time riding but my brake pads wear out pretty quick:confused:

zuLi0
03-24-2002, 10:05 PM
im sure you already looked at this, but just make sure that you dont have the brakes set a little to tight. having the brakes set a little to tight will do the same thing as if the parking brake was still on there.

reason most people take it off are because no one uses it, it add weight for the racers, and it shreds pads apart

Nausty
03-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Really if you put in gear then that can be your parking brake. Plus the 400ex parking brake is a pos and mine doesn't work. I'm gonna take it off but i'm gonna replace the clutch perch with something else and I don't have the money i'm gonna be getting elka's:D :D and i'm gonna be in the hole for a while. btw its my 2000th:cool:

NJ300ex
03-25-2002, 09:53 AM
The parking brake doesn't even work on the 300ex or 400ex when you get them new. It will only work for a week and then after that you will have to readjust it all the time to keep it working.