PDA

View Full Version : My first ride impression

trout
06-06-2004, 02:02 PM
I went to the motocross track here in denver off of C-470, it sits at about 6200 ft. above sea level. This was my break in ride, but I did get on it good for the last 45 minutes.

Stock with the pea shooter out, had to leave the airbox lid on, or it would bog and die at half throttle, due to altitude and stock jetting, ill fix later.

So basically stock with the suspension settings set at (H) top and bottom on all three shocks, and 3 threads showing all around.

This thing Rips! I had a Cannondale and anyone who has ridden one will agree it hauls BA L LS! This 450R with the pea shooter out pulled as hard as my cannondale and the suspension is way better!I would get about 4 feet of air over a table top and go about 15-20 feet and ladn flat and it was not eve nclose to bottoming out, and i am 6'1" and weigh 180ish. I landed crooked back end comming around on me and the shocks soakedi t up and tracked me straight every time. Acceleration is smooth but it just hooks up so well it really pulls much harder than you think it is. I did NOT notice the light front end at all it is just right for me and I dont believe it is any tippier than my cannondale was. The ergos on this thing are spot on for my style of rideing.

Starting, im used to electric start, this is my first bike with a kick starter, and I can start it sitting on the seat. IF its hot you push the hot start lever and it starts first kick 90% of the time, no joke.

very low vibration, my cannondale vibrated a lot, this is very smooth, I felt as though I did not get tired as fast riding this quad, it just felt right to me.

I love it! Im no pro and no racer, but it sure rides great and has plenty of power, add a pipe and K&N and re-jetand this will be plenty of power for me, and I feel it would walk away from my Cannondale. Not bashing the C-dale, great bike! but I only have it for a reference point in my mind, its all I know.

Cheers!

any jetting suggestions for 6000ft. with airbox lid off and pea shooter out? Stock jetting it would bog and die with airbox lid off, but ride great with pea shooter out and lid ON.

Trout:cool:

tkwarrior
06-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Glad to hear you love your new R. :D

I've gotten to where I can launch my R pretty well now and I don't have any trouble keeping up with cam/filter/pipe YFZ's. Like you said the power delivery is very smooth unlike the YFZ where it feels like a 2 stroke.

Wait till you put a full pipe on that beast it will get great gains.

jb500ex
06-06-2004, 05:56 PM
after you get one you realize it's much better then everything you hear and read

sparky450AR
06-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by trout

I felt as though I did not get tired as fast riding this quad, it just felt right to me.

r450rr
06-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
after you get one you realize it's much better then everything you hear and read

i couldnt agree with you more. i kinda like being the underdog though, and seeing people that think they know all about quads by reading the mags.. and how fast this is compared to this..its really a good bike, hands down