PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar axle problems

HondaMan222
06-06-2004, 01:13 PM
the stupid axle is giving me problems again... now i think it may be bad. this is hard to explain with out you seeing it. so when you pull on the rear tire (the derection you pull it off), the whole axle slides back and forth, a good 1/2 in., i am thinking it has to do with the baring carrier, it is a LSR also, but not sure, so what do you guys think

thanks for any help

AC 400 ex 02
06-06-2004, 05:49 PM
from what it sounds like it seems like a carrier problem or a lock nut problem, doubt the axle is the problem

TC426EX
06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
That sounds to me like the locknut is just not tight. Check that out. If you are using the stock locknut, get rid of it, its junk and hard to work with. the nut is what keeps the pressure against the caliper plate and keeps the axle and carrier locked in place tightly as you probably already know. you can tell if it is the carrier, because when you pull the tire off, the whole carrier will slide back and forth in the swingarm. If it is just the axle, then the locknut is probably your culprit like I said. If the locknut is tight, then your bearings are toast and its time to get a rear -end rebuild kit from LSR for 50 bucks. I am running the same setup and have no problems with mine.

HondaMan222
06-06-2004, 10:36 PM
i have the LSR anti fade nut, it was that and the bearings are toast... LSR wants $104 for the bearings. so i will try napa... and where did this thread get moved to??

TC426EX
06-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Dude, I would call Baldwin Motorsports first... Lonestar used to sell an entire carrier rebuild kit for 50 bucks... I know because I bought one a year or so ago. It came with both bearings and a new centertube too. Baldwin is around that price Im pretty sure for his dual row carriers, and I cant see how his would be very different from the lonestar. Either way, he'll tell you straight up if it will work or not, so give him a call.....

BMS
440-224-2734

TORO1968
06-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
That sounds to me like the locknut is just not tight. Check that out. If you are using the stock locknut, get rid of it, its junk and hard to work with. the nut is what keeps the pressure against the caliper plate and keeps the axle and carrier locked in place tightly as you probably already know. you can tell if it is the carrier, because when you pull the tire off, the whole carrier will slide back and forth in the swingarm. If it is just the axle, then the locknut is probably your culprit like I said. If the locknut is tight, then your bearings are toast and its time to get a rear -end rebuild kit from LSR for 50 bucks. I am running the same setup and have no problems with mine.

For inexpensive axle bearings, call up one of your local industrial supply places like Allied Technologies, Motion Industries, etc. Or get them from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). These places are usually much cheaper than any ATV parts supplier, and the bearings are usually of higher quality. Just call them with the part number and, if possible, the brand of bearing you already have. Good bearing companies include Timken, SKF, and NTN.

I agree that this sounds like an axle nut/bearing problem...can't hurt to tear the thing apart.

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Jordan

HondaMan222
06-07-2004, 10:23 PM
hey thanks for the info....i got some off ebay for $10 hope they work...