PDA

View Full Version : whats this ticking noise????

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 09:16 AM
We had to cut out camping trip short this wk end :grr: Troy was riding threw some whoops pretty hard when out of nowhere....Its starts ticking:huh ....(The Predator).....ITs ticking from the motor.......Would this be a Cam possibly????Any other things to check also???? This is a stock Cam with HCpiston and HPD Valve springs......
We have a big Group ride in two weeks to St. Anthonys Sand Dunes so we dont have much time to figure it out and get if fixed.......
Just neede some of your input on what it couls be or what to check......It off to our Mechanic this week hopefully.....:(

Ryan
06-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Valves might need adjustment.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
Valves might need adjustment. Just had them done this past week.......They were a little on the tight side his Mechanic said.....

04'400ex'er
06-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Take it back and have the tappets adjusted. They might have come loose since the adjustment?:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Take it back and have the tappets adjusted. They might have come loose since the adjustment?:rolleyes: Ok.Ill do that.Thanks!:)
Any other things it might be???? Maybe the Cam????Gosh.I hope not....:(

04'400ex'er
06-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Ok.Ill do that.Thanks!:)
Any other things it might be???? Maybe the Cam????Gosh.I hope not....:( If it is a real loud ticking noise, then it is probably more serious. The tappats are just a slightly loud ticking.The cam wouldn't tick, If you have a bent valve, ...

06-06-2004, 09:48 AM
My friend had the exact same thing happen to his kfx...its the timing chain if its not the valves:)

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400
My friend had the exact same thing happen to his kfx...its the timing chain if its not the valves:) This has happened to us before,thank goodness he was a dead stand still when it broke.....Im pretty confident that this time its not this.;)
I could have sworn I read where others had tickin with a Cam....:confused: Maybe I was wrong.....

04'400ex'er
06-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
This has happened to us before,thank goodness he was a dead stand still when it broke.....Im pretty confident that this time its not this.;)
I could have sworn I read where others had tickin with a Cam....:confused: Maybe I was wrong..... First off, the chain might not be broke, just have too much slack and is slapping the case. And the cam itself dosen't tick, it would be the action of the cam raising the lifters and causing the tappetts to "tap".The cam knocking is just what people say when they really don't understand.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
First off, the chain might not be broke, just have too much slack and is slapping the case. And the cam itself dosen't tick, it would be the action of the cam raising the lifters and causing the tappetts to "tap".The cam knocking is just what people say when they really don't understand. Thanks for explaining that.;)

04'400ex'er
06-06-2004, 01:48 PM
No Prob. I will not be here for a couple days, but PM me if you have any questions.

06-06-2004, 06:59 PM
did it sound like this on my 400ex...if so then mine went away apparently

right click.....save as.... (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pfc6264b89e7072cc6b2adfd2fdca55ac/f9265cdc.mpg)

right click....save as.... (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/pe1f0d3dbfd16d6a7f5a3635b318ee34e/f91b0fc1.mpg)

good luck...this noise also happened after my mechanic switched from mobile 1 red cap to regular klotz oil after I told him I run synthetic only.....i switched right back to mobile 1 red cap after I rode it for like 10 minutes & it went away about an hour later....

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
did it sound like this on my 400ex...if so then mine went away apparently

right click.....save as.... (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pfc6264b89e7072cc6b2adfd2fdca55ac/f9265cdc.mpg)

right click....save as.... (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/pe1f0d3dbfd16d6a7f5a3635b318ee34e/f91b0fc1.mpg)

good luck...this noise also happened after my mechanic switched from mobile 1 red cap to regular klotz oil after I told him I run synthetic only.....i switched right back to mobile 1 red cap after I rode it for like 10 minutes & it went away about an hour later.... The vid didnt come up.......:confused: if your hosting it on Imagestation, It wont have sound.......
We have always used the same oil though......;) Im REALLY leaning towards Timing Chain being the issue or a Valve.....

fastbikes
06-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Well I hope everything is ok, Dan motor will be back either Thursday or Friday. Doug said his new crank will be in on Tuesday and he will spend that night putting it together and ship it out on wednesday. Doug and everyone at Nicholas cycles have been great!! Should have sent it there in the first place:D

QuadJunkies
06-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by fastbikes
Well I hope everything is ok, Dan motor will be back either Thursday or Friday. Doug said his new crank will be in on Tuesday and he will spend that night putting it together and ship it out on wednesday. Doug and everyone at Nicholas cycles have been great!! Should have sent it there in the first place:D Im glad he is taking care of ya,If we had the $$ I would send him ours in a hearbeat!!! I think you will be happy with his work.....;)

skemp
06-07-2004, 12:38 AM
My vote goes toward a head gasket. Look around the mating surface of the cylinder and head for oil or carbon deposits. With the machine running, feel with your hand all around this junction for air movement. If you don't find anything, it is probably a valvetrain issue.