PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a garden?

Pappy
06-05-2004, 08:37 PM
I know ...im old as dirt so why not have a garden:o

Syrus
06-05-2004, 08:38 PM
My moms a landscaper, we have gardens surrounding the house, THERE EVERYWHERE. On the plus side, its less grass to cut and keeps her outa the house :D

Pappy
06-05-2004, 08:40 PM
I dont think ive planed a flower in my life, but i plant the hell outta vegatables

batgeek
06-05-2004, 08:50 PM
hell ya! ain't nothin better than fresh veggies right out of your own garden.

i usually plant tomatos, bell peppers and green onions since i use them alot. then i just get whatever else tickles me while i'm at Lowe's. this year i planted my usual plus a couple of cucumber plants and some red radishes.

squashes grow very well in my area, and i might do those for the late season.

JOEX
06-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I usually do, haven't got to yet this year, been lazy:rolleyes:

There are a few Yukon Gold potato plants that came up from last years crop:p

Atreyu
06-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I have one but I heard its illegal?:confused:

Woodsrider
06-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I dont have a "garden" per say, but I use strawberries and radishes as ground cover around the fence line in the back yard, and I grow tomatoes in an old sheep watering tank. But this is the last year for the kids sand lot, next year it will be returned to a garden for peas, green beans, carrots and hops. Our yard isnt big enough for a huge garden so I buy corn and some other veggies from the local farmer where I get my eggs.

theTman
06-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
I have one but I heard its illegal?:confused:

:eek2: :p

Pappy
06-05-2004, 08:56 PM
well so far i have 4 gardens in. all are planted except 1/2 of 1 so that i have room for a 3rd planting of beans and pole limas.

so far i have in and growing:

Tomatoes(big boy)
Squash
Zuchinni
Cucumbers
Butternut Squash
Cantalope
Watermelon
Brussle Sprouts
Spinich
Jalepano Peppers
Habenaro Peppers
Chili Peppers
Banana Peppers
Green and Red Bell Peppers
Sweet Corn
Egg Plant (Black and White Ghost)
Roma Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Potatoes
Radishs
Onions

and i plan on doubling the size next year

:p

DillonTMNT
06-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Awesome Pappy. I have a green thumb to say the least. i use gardening as a source to get out anger in a resourceful way. I feel liek I accomplish somethign when the plants start to grow. I grow everything from Basil to Wondering Jew (its a vine) to Elephant ears (purple and the regular green) I plan on starting a nice veggie garden here soon I just need some wood to make borders and some nice soil. Ozmacote is your friend Pappy...haha

-Dillon

Pappy
06-05-2004, 09:23 PM
lol...i dunno about the anger relief...ive blasted 2 rabbits so far that managed to come too close to my garden:devil:

when i was growing up, we gardened heavily and my family would can ad freeze all our food. when i got married and the farm was sold i didnt do much due to lack of room. now that i have more land then i need im back to what i like to do. i cant stand eating food with ingredients i cant pronounce:(

xr50layke
06-05-2004, 09:23 PM
iv got a bunch of strawberry plants :) other than that today, i decided (when clearing a trail) instead of chopping down tree branches that are in my way i would wrap them around the other trees much easier and conserves ****.

Martin Blair
06-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I know ...im old as dirt so why not have a garden:o

only when your married

Guy400
06-06-2004, 05:34 AM
I had 2 gardens here but I've tilled them both up and am trying to return them to lawn again. I have 2 small patches in the backyard where I've got onion, scallion, garlic, asparagus and rhubarb. Those are really the only things I use with any regularity and I was tired of always weeding so the 2 gardens went bye-bye.

Pappy
06-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
only when your married

i was married when you turned 3 years old:p

06-06-2004, 07:14 AM
wow pappy all we are growing this year are

watermelon
letuce
green peppers
yellow peppers
tomatos
green beans
peas

trick450r
06-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Hell pappy why dont you throw those garden stats in yur sig??:huh

Pappy
06-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
Hell pappy why dont you throw those garden stats in yur sig??:huh

long sigs suck

Hammer trx450r
06-06-2004, 07:51 AM
long sigs suck

;)

06-06-2004, 08:36 AM
a good trick for all u gardeners is to spreadgrass clippings around all your plants it helps hold the moisture in and blocks the weeds from coming up ;)

Pappy
06-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by 250ex3
a good trick for all u gardeners is to spreadgrass clippings around all your plants it helps hold the moisture in and blocks the weeds from coming up ;)

only use grass clippings that have been properly composted...if not the weed seeds that are in the clippings will turn your garden into a weed bed:eek2:

06-06-2004, 08:38 AM
true forgot to mention that its working good in are gardens

Urpoisonddream
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
you dont have to be old to have a garden im 17 and i just started my own garden. Im growing tomatos! :)

06-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Urpoisonddream
you dont have to be old to have a garden im 17 and i just started my own garden. Im growing tomatos! :)

aint nothing like a fresh picked tomato straight out ur garden

Rip_Tear
06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
My track is a garden... Its all black currents, rasberries, black berries, all kinds of wild berries. I help my mom and grandmother with their gardening. They both have a large varity of vegtables and flowers. My grandmother has a large old wooden boat filled with dirt that she has a vegtable garden going in, its pretty sweet looking.

ewalker302
06-06-2004, 09:24 PM
All I got is 15 hills of piss chunks (watermelons)

I Don't think Ill ever have a full garden. Too many memories of summers full of shucking corn, shelling peas, picking peanuts, digging taters ect. ect. ect. infinity..............

:bandit:

Dan_Guetter
06-07-2004, 04:04 AM
My garden is hidden deep in the woods, where it can't be seen by anyone, i grow exotic plants and flowers

LOL

jk

dirtmomma
06-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Had a good sized one a couple years ago but didn't have the time to do all the weeding since we are always camping/riding in the summer, so this year I toned it down to a couple small beds w/ carrots,radishes,lettuce,cucumbers,tomatoes,& cantalope this is my 1st time w/ the cantalope but it's lil mans favorite so we thought we would try it, it's the one doing the best right now, my damn cats like to mess all t he other stuff up :mad: just about ready to start pingin them in the butt w/ pellets, but I can't ever catch them in there!!!

Martin Blair
06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
i was married when you turned 3 years old:p

Well congrates to see you married that long, these days more people get divorced.

My parents are putting up a garden they just grow tomatoes, and green peppers. They also have alot of flower landscape stuff.

Mxjunkie
06-07-2004, 04:25 PM
i garden when ever my parents make me, thats usually never

derekhonda
06-07-2004, 05:19 PM
well so far i have 4 gardens in. all are planted except 1/2 of 1 so that i have room for a 3rd planting of beans and pole limas.

so far i have in and growing:

Tomatoes(big boy)
Squash
Zuchinni
Cucumbers
Butternut Squash
Cantalope
Watermelon
Brussle Sprouts
Spinich
Jalepano Peppers
Habenaro Peppers
Chili Peppers
Banana Peppers
Green and Red Bell Peppers
Sweet Corn
Egg Plant (Black and White Ghost)
Roma Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Potatoes
Radishs
Onions

and i plan on doubling the size next year

:p

You know pappy, i have noticed something about you, when you decide to do something, you go all out. Sounds like your staying busy though :eek2:

Pappy
06-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
You know pappy, i have noticed something about you, when you decide to do something, you go all out. Sounds like your staying busy though :eek2:

the hardest part about this year is that there wasnt any garden here before. so all the gardens i have in are new and that creates alot of work, pitchin rocks, getting the soil to be more nuetral etc. next year should be less work. 2 of the gardens are 75' x 30 and 1 is 75' x 50 with the 4th being a bit smaller and thats where the melons are planted.

A4StrokeGuy
06-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I have a small garden myself:eek2: heres a pic of a small corner.....

A4StrokeGuy
06-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Heres another pic, this corner is just a bit flatter

A4StrokeGuy
06-07-2004, 08:23 PM
And of coarse every good gardner needs good equipment, red quad, red combine its all the same

dirtmomma
06-07-2004, 08:25 PM
LOL good one A4strokeguy ;)