PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on Keeping rear end from passing the front?

snow4fun
06-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to try and keep the rear end from trying to pass the front once thrown into a power slide? I bought this TRX450R for my wife and I watched it throw her this past weekend. We ride the sand dunes and I watched her shift her weight to turn and the bike never stopped until it was sideways and then it dug in and flipped. It threw her off and then rolled over her. Anyway I have noticed that when I try to slip the backend a little to maintain position when running a bowl everything is okay but if you lean a little too much it almost feels like the backend is on ice and it seems to come around real fast once it breaks loose. I just steer out of it but am wondering if there is something I can do with the setup to slow this condition down. I have softened the suspension up (preload, etc as described in some of the threads below - suspension setup ends here). Would a longer swingarm help or may a wider rear axle - Please help as I need to keep this thing shiny side up so she will continue to enjoy this great sport - Thanks .... Scott

Hammer trx450r
06-05-2004, 06:35 PM
fan the clutch to bring her back. http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/hammer450r/DSC02019.jpg[/IMG]

Bretmd94
06-05-2004, 06:35 PM
What paddles are you running? If your running a V shaped one, they are better for breaking loose in a slide. If you got some haulers, there would be a lot less sliding, but then it just feels like flipping over wit out sliding.

snow4fun
06-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Bretmd94,

Same as in my sig. They are 8 paddle haulers. I tried letting some air out of them after she crashed and that seemed to add a little traction and keep from slidding so easy but I still noticed once it gets to a certain point it really wants to take off....

Hammer trx450r,

You are saying if you feather the clutch once you start sliding, it will bring you back and help straighten you out??? It kinda makes sense, but this all happened so fast within about 15 or 20 feet I don't think she even knows what happened let alone trying to think about feathering the clutch.... Any other ideas on setup???

Thanks Scott

Hammer trx450r
06-05-2004, 07:11 PM
sounds like she got a traction bite that flipped her over not too much slide, but your in sand so forget me

HRDCOR23
06-05-2004, 08:41 PM
I watched my friends wife do the same thing on her 400 last weekend. It's not the bike it's the rider. Teach her how to handle the sand. Learning how and when to feather the clutch is a must. I hate seeing girls laid out on the sand.

powerslider
06-05-2004, 08:43 PM
It's the Haulers, Ive experienced the same thing. They will hold in a turn up to a point and then totally let go. You have to stay on the throttle to keep them digging or switch to V-paddles.

twisted threads
06-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by powerslider
They will hold in a turn up to a point and then totally let go. You have to stay on the throttle to keep them digging or switch to V-paddles.

Yep ride it hard and give it gas she will pull out of it.