PDA

View Full Version : kfx/ltz or 400ex

Mxjunkie
06-05-2004, 04:59 PM
i was wondering kfx/ltz or 400ex, i cant make up my mind, i mainly ride trails and do some jumping, the kfx/ltz sounds awesome but so does the 400ex :confused:

batgeek
06-05-2004, 05:04 PM
really can't go wrong with either...

just gusset the Z frame before going crazy :D

Billdog350
06-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Here's a quote from my post about the same question in this forum a few days ago (you should check other's posts before starting a new redundant one).

"I've owned both a 2000 Honda 400ex and a 2003 LTZ400. The actual dimensions and handling are VERY similar between the two machines since they are ALMOST identical. However EVERYONE that I have let ride both machines has commented that the seat (and reverse) on the LTZ is much better than the 400ex. However, in Honda's defense, the frame of the z400 is brittle while the 400ex is supposedly almost bulletproof. So far I haven't seen cracks in either frame but I don't race MX where they supposedly show up.

Stock compared to stock the LTZ is MUCH smoother suspension wise as well as the engine. At least a half dozen of my friends agree with this statement. The STOCK 400ex definitely has a lot more low end torque and feels more responsive due to the carb with accelerator pump. Throw on a dyno jet kit on the z400 and remove the airbox lid and it makes the z400 as responsive or more than the 400ex at low end. Both are wheelie machines....they come up easily with a blip of the throttle but the z400 revs more which allows you to carry wheelies father and keep them up easier. The official Certificate of Origin as well as dyno charts show that the z400 is about 3 rear wheel hp more than the 400ex. That is pretty significant. I could pull 62 gps verified MPH on my 400ex and 67 mph on the z400. All stock jetting, tires and gearing. 180 lb rider, similar temperature conditions.

Start modifying the machines and they start showing their engineering differences. The 400ex will run hot with a high compression deal or increased timing (sparks timing advance key). However the liquid cooling of the z400 keeps it cool and running smoothly after similar mods. Also, the z400 shows dyno proven gains of over 2 hp by removing the airbox lid and rejetting . The 400ex does not benefit as much by this, due to a better designed stock airbox. You have to replace two cams on the z400 due to the twin cam design but higher RPM gains are more significant as a result. I believe the stock z revs about 1000 rpm higher than the stock 400ex...rev boxes increase redline 1000 rpm on both.

Price is about the only place where the machines are significantly different. Because the 400ex has been out since 1999, there are many more available and can be bought for significantly less than a z400 which started in 2003. However, compare a used 2003 to a 2003 and you will find that the Honda's are the same or MORE expensive than the z400's, at least here in CT. Both have significant aftermarket mods available but the 400ex has more stuff because it's been around longer.

My evaluation? If I had a limited budget and wanted to get into a fun machine that will last me a long time, go with the 400ex. If you can blow the extra $1000 or more for the z400 do it. I looked into the mods that it would take to get me up to the STOCK hp of the z400 from my 400ex...and it would be around $700. (Hotcam, Pipe, high comp piston, etc). Might as well start with a stock machine that's putting out the same power...plus has reverse and an updated suspension."

Mxjunkie
06-06-2004, 07:24 PM
thanks i couldnt make up my mind, the more i read about the z400 the more i kinda want one, yeah i just saw that right after i made it i feel like an idiot but oh well :p