PDA

View Full Version : cam installation

FF1O5
06-05-2004, 09:57 AM
i ordered a cam...any tips on the install?

komatsu kid
06-05-2004, 11:07 AM
just have a shop book its easy

TC426EX
06-05-2004, 11:12 AM
You want to make sure that you use plenty of assembly lube! Also, keep track of the tiny dowel pins that you will need to reassemble the head. Especially the one that holds the cam in place on the one side. I lost one and it took about 3 weeks to get one since they were backordered from honda. You want to also make sure you do a thorough break in for at least 3 hours at 3000 rpms or above but dont pound on it. After running it for a while when you get it back together make sure you check your valve lash a second time since it CAN get out of whack once everything seats properly. Before you run it after you get it back together, just turn it over a few times with one of the circular valve covers removed until you can see oil spraying out of the cam into the head. MANY times after reassembly when you add the oil to the system an air lock will occur and prevent the oil from flowing through the system and getting to where it needs to be. Just turn the motor over by cranking it a few times but dont actually start it. If you see that your oil is not flowing and the oil tank remains full just put the bike on the side and then remove the oil filter and flood the cavity with oil before you put it back on. Sometimes this gets the oil flowing. This is obviously a critical step because you dont want to blow your motor up just after putting your cam in!!!! Other than that just make sure everything is lined up with the timing marks and TDC.

UglyMotha™
06-05-2004, 08:11 PM
you never use assembly lube if your installing a NEW cam, new cams come with a rough finish which allows it to seat properly with your rocker arms, by applying an assembly lube to the cam is goin to make the surface to slippery not allowing for a good breakin, it's kinda like trying to break your motor in on synthetic motor oil, same difference, the only place you should use assembly lube is on bearings, the wrist pin and rod never apply it to surfaces that has to break in such as the cylinder and the cam, use regular motor oil in these areas

mxgirl
06-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Yep, what TC426EX said... Be careful not to drop the dowel pin. If you do and can't fish it out, take off the side cover and fish some more. :D

I installed the Stage 2 Hot Cam and love it! .......and I didn't even drop the dowel pin :D

dariusld
06-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Make sure the screws(#2) in the picture are tight. I used lock tight on them. They might back out if you don't. click on cam chain tensioner (http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm) I would buy new ones for insurance.

cals400ex
06-06-2004, 12:37 AM
on the two screws, i think the torque is 15 ft/lbs. i also use blue locktight.

TC426EX
06-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
you never use assembly lube if your installing a NEW cam, new cams come with a rough finish which allows it to seat properly with your rocker arms, by applying an assembly lube to the cam is goin to make the surface to slippery not allowing for a good breakin, it's kinda like trying to break your motor in on synthetic motor oil, same difference, the only place you should use assembly lube is on bearings, the wrist pin and rod never apply it to surfaces that has to break in such as the cylinder and the cam, use regular motor oil in these areas

Thats what I meant, on the bearing races and the rotating parts, not on the lobes....

2003400exmnymds
06-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Wheb I installed my cam, I used the red lock tight due to the fact if you read the box, you know the engine vibration is so great, all you need is for that cam bolt to vibrate out. The blue is medium strength and the red is automotive strength. I installed my stage 2 HOT CAM and it was unreal, what I failed to do is remove the decompression stopper plunger and spring. I took the head all back apart to remove it and my cam bolt was about half-way out, I seriously unscrewed it by hand. I'll never make that same mistake. I got some red lock tight and checked it twice and she is snug. Good luck.