PDA

View Full Version : wheelie

xfox250x
03-23-2002, 05:03 PM
how the f**k is it done

Striker49
03-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Its really simple. All I do is pull back on the handle bars in 1st gear, punch the gas, sit towards the back of the seat and it comes right up. Very ez. Im still workin on ridin em for long periods of time without fallin off but ive got the short ones down pat. :cool:

xfox250x
03-23-2002, 05:20 PM
can you switch gears while pullen one my bro can:confused:

Striker49
03-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Not yet, im not that good. lol. Im still workin on ridin em for a while instead of just little short ones. One of the people I ride with can wheelie his Rancher all the way across the field if he wants, n/p. lol. Makes me look bad. :blah

luvmyex
03-24-2002, 06:54 AM
its simple really.i can ride em till i run out of room usally.the way i learned was start in first gear,pop the clutch and give it a lil gas while pulling up the bars.then try to find your balance point.you will stand it up a few times on the grab bar,but dont worry it will just sit there unless your going fast.it wont flip on top of ya.once you've stood it up it really helps ya know where to balance it at.you can ride em really slow like this if your at the balance point.Once youve found it start trying to hit 2nd gear dont use the clutch just let off the gas a lil.then you have it.or you can just do power wheelies,but its a bit harder to ride em a long ways till you learn how.

luvmyex
03-24-2002, 07:03 AM
here one when i was learning

xfox250x
03-24-2002, 07:08 AM
cool;)

Nausty
03-24-2002, 10:47 AM
if you guys wanna see wheelies look in my sig:D and check out my album.

400exBro
03-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Don't worry if you over shoot the grab bar will save, it works for me all the time.
Just go in 2nd sit back give her gas and pull up, find the balance point and just blimp the throttle don't shift it hard on your tranny, you'll spend $$$ to repair that. If you use the throttle and brake to keep ya going, if you starting down giver her gas and if you think your to far hit the brake but then get on the gas right away to keep her going.
My friend can do them foever with out switching gear( that is if he has enough room to do it) here he is below in pic, riding a wheelie at Gopher Dunes.
lata
Bro

Nausty
03-24-2002, 03:23 PM
I use to do them forever tell we set the idle really high so it doesn't slow you down if you let off the brake so now if I wanna slow down I go to far and then tap the brake and gas it again. Better for mx though.

Striker49
03-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Ive stood mine up, grab bar is got a couple dents and is scratched up from the pavement but its aight. When I stood it up though, it leaked gas after it died. That supposed to happen? I set it back down and moved it to see small puddle of gas on the driveway. :confused:

signboy
03-25-2002, 01:14 AM
No offense Luvmyex but I'm a HUGE believer in safety. So I fixed your wheelie into a proper wheelie.

(EDIT) fixed the link, see my post below (EDIT)

xfox250x
03-25-2002, 09:33 AM
some one was messin with this i can do wheelies i can change gears ususally go through one or two gears man who ever posted all these crap post under my name u guys are @$$holes wat the **** is wrong with u

Blackguywithouta400
03-25-2002, 05:07 PM
after you can do one for a mile like me other people want to join in the fun too.

luvmyex
03-25-2002, 05:37 PM
signboy,your link didnt work but i know what ya did.lmao,I wear a helmet 99% of the time.THere i was in a big field and never got over 10mph.doing real slow wheelies is all i was doing.
And yes gas does come out the overflow every time you do a wheelie even if you dont stand it up on end.It waste alot of gas but damn there fun.i ride em till im out of room.

rider250ex
03-25-2002, 07:09 PM
once u get used to it it is really easy to shift gears in a wheelie. expecially on a 250ex because u dont have to mess wit a clutch. i can get em into fourth, but i cant find a big enough field to do em in 5th. you just have to find your ballance poind and that requires you to flip a few times.

Nausty
03-25-2002, 09:03 PM
me and some of my friends have wheelies races from a stop to a road. pretty fun sometimes when there is nothing much to do.

signboy
03-25-2002, 09:09 PM
fixed my link

http://jeffrowlanddesigns.com/images/personal_photos/p8050012_copy.jpg

luvmyex
03-26-2002, 04:51 PM
I like my new helmet but my face dissappeared lol

signboy
03-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
I like my new helmet but my face dissappeared lol

Hey you aren't Cindy Crawford, what did you expect. LOL

250EXChik29
03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm tryin to get up a wheelie.. i can get it to go up but not for a long time.. im getting better though! :) today I got pretty high.. I am trying to shift into 2nd gear while riding it BUT I still haven't found that balance point where I feel comfy riding it for a distance.. I guess it just takes practice, practice, practice..... :blah

luvmyex
03-28-2002, 08:00 PM
sit back on the seat.and you really have to stand it up a couple of times to find that spot where your balanced.Just do it slow in first gear and you can hang there on the bars straight up in the air resting on the grab bar.

xfox250x
03-29-2002, 08:46 AM
it took me a while to be able to change gears but once u get it its easy for me i just seat at the edge of the seat and gun it and it comes up and its just balancing from there but try doin it in flat open area thats where i first learned how to now i can do them up 2 3rd still tryin to go higher

03-29-2002, 09:07 AM
I remember when i first learned to do a long wheelie. i just poped the clutch sat back and practiced for a while. in a week or 2 i was riden the lengh of my fiels. now i start in first like a rolingn start, ge goin al little in firts than peg the throtil and pull the cluch in and shift to 2. it is so asom u can ride forever in 2. best da#m think i have ever done in 2nd gear.

04-02-2002, 10:05 AM
I attached a file of my latest wheelie picture. I do them in the desert so I usually just bump the front tire off of a small rock or something, pull up and floor it while going slow in second gear on a 250r. I can ride from second gear all the way through 4th. I'm probably going about 50 mph when it finally comes down. You can see how fast I'm going from all the dust behind me. The engine has enough compression to bring the front end down just by leting off the gas, if you feel you have gone past the balance point. It's a blast!!!:D :D :D

:devil see attached file

04-02-2002, 10:13 AM
I forgot to tell you, if you want to shift in the air it works better to not use the clutch. Just release the throttle for a split second and tap the gear up at the same time. It doesn't ruin anything, I do it on my bullet bike all the time too. You can actually up shift in a car without using the clutch. Try it some time.

You can drag race faster without the clutch. I win races on my bullet bike all the time against faster bikes, just by speed shifting without the clutch.

:D :D

04-02-2002, 02:30 PM
riding wheelies is easier than anything, al you do is put it in the lowest gear, 1st or 2nd works best..i start off in 2nd. then just sit back on the seat and give it gas, and pull up on the handlebars . that should bring it right up. knowing how to balance is good too. i can ride wheelies forever on my 3wheeler..its great.

yamaha1470
04-02-2002, 07:28 PM
This might be totally wrong but i just want to make sure. Someone told me if u flip back on the 400ex you dont just bend a grab bar that you bend the subframe and it costs major money. is that true or do you just bend a grab bar?

knighttime
04-03-2002, 11:10 AM
If is hits the ground on a monster wheelie or crash, it may or may not bend (the grab bar is part of the subframe).

:huh

veddersbetter
04-04-2002, 04:23 AM
Just keep one foot on the brake to balance out your wheelie.....if ya start goin back to your grab bar.....push on the brake a little bit. Works good for me..........
400s are THEE easiest quad to wheelie.....I had a Warrior before and the best thing to do with that was keep one foot in the grab bar.......I could ride forever like that.....up hills...down hills...whereever. And its easiest to learn doin this. Hers a pic of a friend of mine in a SLOW grab bar wheelie(1st gear ...2-3 MPH)
Just keep practicin....wont be long youll be pullin 1/4 mile wheelies and longer:D

PoopOna400EX
04-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Here's a video of a little wheelie race :)

Nothing too exciting though...it's about 1.4 MB in size

http://www.measlywimp.com/jason/images/JasonAndTylerCatWalk.MPG

~Jason

04-09-2002, 05:31 PM
That is pretty sweet. 400 EX and what was the other bike? The yellow one?

Pretty cool wheelies. I bet I could give you a run for your money on my buddies 250R.

Nice Post.

:D :D

PoopOna400EX
04-09-2002, 05:36 PM
That's my nephew, and he has a 300ex. We kind of wheelie differently, his is a power wheelie, mines more of a balanced wheelie, either way, it's fun!

Thanks for the comment!

~Jason

red400ryder
04-11-2002, 06:20 PM
when it comes to wheelies it really ain't hard as it seems. I love to wheelie my 400 and I do it all the time no matter where I am. I can hit every gear from 1st to 5th and still keep it rolling no matter if I'm standing up with a foot on the grab bar or sitting down or having both feet on the shifter side and shifting while I ride a wheelie like that because i like to try to ride them different ways If I can. I know somebody mentioned a rancher being wheelied earlier in the post. My friend has a 2002 rancher 4x4 es and I can ride a wheelie on that like it ain't **** and hit every gear with the electric shift which is kinda cool about doing it. well that's all I have to say and to the ones that are learning just keep practicing and you'll get it if you really want to. later from madmike

04-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Ya, but every time i try on my 250r the tires either just spin or i only pop the wheels like a foot off the ground, any1 know a way to go slow on an R and do it?

joe250
04-11-2002, 07:57 PM
i found the easiest way to do a long wheelie on a 250ex is to start in second and work your way to fith. Just don't shift when you are too high or yool dump off, my farthest is abut 150yds 1 time, I workin on doin it consistantly though:D

heres a low speed wheelie!

04-12-2002, 09:12 AM
I don't think you will be able to do a slow controlled wheelie on a 250 R (2 stroke motors don't go slow), but the gears are long enough to do a pretty long wheelie starting in second gear. After you get good you can start switching gears during the wheelie.

This is how I do it on my buddies 250R: In second gear, idle at about 10 (apprx), find a little bumb in a field somewhere about the size of a baseball and hit that with your front tire. At the same time pull up on the bars and floor it. ****, you could even use an actually baseball if you want.

What kind of terrain do you ride in? I ride in the desert so the traction isn't quite as good as on a grass field, so I have to use a bump of some kind to help pull it up.

So, just pull up and floor it when your front tire hits a bump, all while going slow in second gear.

The bike is less likely to go over backwards in second gear. A 250R definately has enough power, it's your technique that has to change. Good luck.

:D :D :D :D

ChadEXer
04-12-2002, 11:02 AM
I can ride for as long as there is land on the 400 or tha wifes 250:D
1st or 2nd gear balancing or all they way through all the gears!!!

04-18-2002, 08:03 PM
i like to take off from a dead stop (pop the clutch) and then shift thru the gears